saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I love food, I don't want to cut out the things that make me happier than sex..

I'm 175cm - 79kg - 13% bf

I train as hard as anyone and very consistent, if only I could improve my diet id have rippling abs.

Typical day

7:30am - 2 x raisin toast + skinny latte

11am - 1x black coffee

1pm - rice & tuna canned meal

2:30pm - instant coffee with skinny milk

3pm - scour office girls desks for little chocolates or snacks

5:30pm - black coffee/skinny latte then train at gym ( always do a min 3km on tredy time around 12min). Always burn 500+ at gym and I train 6 days a week

7pm - steak + greens + sweet potatoe

9pm - search fridge for something, might find low fat low sugar yoghurt and go berserk or have an apple with sugar free peanut butter smeared all over.. Or might have an ice cream or something.

My diets fairly average but I'm
In decent enough Nic, I have a flat stomach but zero abs.. Love it get abs but I love food to much.

You need more protein in your diet around 1.5g-2 per kg of bodyweight, so around 120-160g. Based on that diet you may only be getting in 15-20g from tuna 1 small tin and 75g from 250g of porterhouse (depending no serving sizes and cut of meat). That doesn't seem like much food for someone of your size, i don't think you are overweight but you are trying to get the bodyfat down. I would say you are around 15% bodyfat as at 13% you should see some visible abs, that or you don't have any ab muscles at all. Everyone is a bit different, my top 4 abs still show even at 15% plus BF other can get to 10% and barely have abs which means the ab muscles themselves are underdeveloped. I would look to sharpen up your diet, add in more protein and healthy fats, commit to regular exercise and look to train your abs, as you become leaner and the ab muscles develop they will show through. But diet will be key.

First off cut out the chocolates/sugar snacks, save them for one night a week and keep it small (don't binge on a weeks worth in one night)
No issues with coffee, just don't over do it.
Get organised, cook up meals for 3 days in advance and have regular meals. This is the best way to not slip up.
To help feel full eat healthy fats and protein, 10g of peanut butter and 6-10 almonds help hold me over if i'm really hungry.

For me my diet looks like (i'm currently in a cutting phase and im 178cm 90kg)

Breakfast - 3 eggs and 100g of mince, greens drink
Mid morning snack - 1 tin of tuna, 15g of peanut butter and 10 almonds
Lunch - 150g/200g of chicken or lean beef, 125g of brown rice and veggies
Pre-work out meal mid afternoon - same as lunch
Post work - 30g of protein shake
Dinner - 200g of chicken/beef, 250g of sweet potato and veggies

Training - 3-5 cardio sessions a week a mix between walking, jogging and HIIT. Mon-Sat, weights session 1hr 15 mins. Split is Legs, pull, push x twice a week.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You need more protein in your diet around 1.5g-2 per kg of bodyweight, so around 120-160g. Based on that diet you may only be getting in 15-20g from tuna 1 small tin and 75g from 250g of porterhouse (depending no serving sizes and cut of meat). That doesn't seem like much food for someone of your size, i don't think you are overweight but you are trying to get the bodyfat down. I would say you are around 15% bodyfat as at 13% you should see some visible abs, that or you don't have any ab muscles at all. Everyone is a bit different, my top 4 abs still show even at 15% plus BF other can get to 10% and barely have abs which means the ab muscles themselves are underdeveloped. I would look to sharpen up your diet, add in more protein and healthy fats, commit to regular exercise and look to train your abs, as you become leaner and the ab muscles develop they will show through. But diet will be key.

First off cut out the chocolates/sugar snacks, save them for one night a week and keep it small (don't binge on a weeks worth in one night)
No issues with coffee, just don't over do it.
Get organised, cook up meals for 3 days in advance and have regular meals. This is the best way to not slip up.
To help feel full eat healthy fats and protein, 10g of peanut butter and 6-10 almonds help hold me over if i'm really hungry.

For me my diet looks like (i'm currently in a cutting phase and im 178cm 90kg)

Breakfast - 3 eggs and 100g of mince, greens drink
Mid morning snack - 1 tin of tuna, 15g of peanut butter and 10 almonds
Lunch - 150g/200g of chicken or lean beef, 125g of brown rice and veggies
Pre-work out meal mid afternoon - same as lunch
Post work - 30g of protein shake
Dinner - 200g of chicken/beef, 250g of sweet potato and veggies

Training - 3-5 cardio sessions a week a mix between walking, jogging and HIIT. Mon-Sat, weights session 1hr 15 mins. Split is Legs, pull, push x twice a week.

Love this post, sad thing is everything you have said I know 110%, in fact if you look at the pic I have attached which is 18 months old I was sitting around 10% body fat and weighed 88kgs. I know my body fat, I'm certainly not 15%, I have never had developed abs, even my dad who competed professionally body building struggled to get rippling abs, I'm almost certain a lot of issues are genetic make up.

I love sugars, I love carbs, I have always been that way and always accepted that I can eat like that as I train a hell of a lot. I have no doubt though should I make changes my physique would develop and my athletic performance would improve. I don't want to lose weight, I want to play at 78kgs but would like my body fat around 10%, I've never been below that mark.

I appreciate your views on me not being overweight lol, cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 9
Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
I think that both you and the other half are doing very well, tige19, keep up the good work. Similar to what saj_21 said, and what you already know, it will be diet related. If you're happy with what you're doing then that's fine, you're doing better than most people out there.

I'm not trained or qualified to give advice, I can speak only from a personal point of view but I've found that changing my idea of food has helped a lot. I used to look at my food consumption based on my macro intake, and I still use that, but I focus on what is most nutritious. I get carbs from sweet potato and things like that but I wouldn't have any form of carbs just to fit my macros. Try something like that and see what happens. At the very least you might feel a little better.

As I said, I'm not qualified to give advice but personally I have benefited from looking at what is healthy and nutritious, not just what suits a macro split.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think that both you and the other half are doing very well, tige19, keep up the good work. Similar to what saj_21 said, and what you already know, it will be diet related. If you're happy with what you're doing then that's fine, you're doing better than most people out there.

I'm not trained or qualified to give advice, I can speak only from a personal point of view but I've found that changing my idea of food has helped a lot. I used to look at my food consumption based on my macro intake, and I still use that, but I focus on what is most nutritious. I get carbs from sweet potato and things like that but I wouldn't have any form of carbs just to fit my macros. Try something like that and see what happens. At the very least you might feel a little better.

As I said, I'm not qualified to give advice but personally I have benefited from looking at what is healthy and nutritious, not just what suits a macro split.

Thanks pal.

My girl goes through stages, she works in the industry and will be my head trainer at the gym when it opens so she's hell bent on looking great for when it opens. I think she looks at her sisters as motivation, she never wants to look like or be like them lol.

The macro thing is complicated, I have really considered the intermittent fasting concept, I think with drinking coffee/protein shakes and water I could do it 2 times a week and that would really help with the excess fat I'm carrying.

I love training and pushing myself to the limit and I think that's my saving grace, I'd hate to see how I would end up if I stopped training, I literally look at beer and put on weight. My dad's a great example, the guy looked like a beast from 20-30, amazing physique but now is overweight and looks sluggish, it has a lot to do with business as he is regularly overseas but I think that's his excuse.

What are your stats?

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks pal.

My girl goes through stages, she works in the industry and will be my head trainer at the gym when it opens so she's hell bent on looking great for when it opens. I think she looks at her sisters as motivation, she never wants to look like or be like them lol.

The macro thing is complicated, I have really considered the intermittent fasting concept, I think with drinking coffee/protein shakes and water I could do it 2 times a week and that would really help with the excess fat I'm carrying.

I love training and pushing myself to the limit and I think that's my saving grace, I'd hate to see how I would end up if I stopped training, I literally look at beer and put on weight. My dad's a great example, the guy looked like a beast from 20-30, amazing physique but now is overweight and looks sluggish, it has a lot to do with business as he is regularly overseas but I think that's his excuse.

What are your stats?

I'm the same with beer, I only need to look at it and bloats me. I haven't given up beer, but I have pretty much given up beer at home for now. Same thing with processed food and refined sugars.

That being said I don't have a rule that I will never have them, I just avoid it when I can. I don't want to one of those people that my friends role their eyes at you every time the topic of food comes up or that you're a pain in the arse to go anywhere with. When I can I eat healthy, when I can't I don't cry about it.

My stats? I'm 186cms (6.1 in the old scale) and 87kgs. I like long walks on the beach and a nice hot bath ;) :p

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Love this post, sad thing is everything you have said I know 110%, in fact if you look at the pic I have attached which is 18 months old I was sitting around 10% body fat and weighed 88kgs. I know my body fat, I'm certainly not 15%, I have never had developed abs, even my dad who competed professionally body building struggled to get rippling abs, I'm almost certain a lot of issues are genetic make up.

I love sugars, I love carbs, I have always been that way and always accepted that I can eat like that as I train a hell of a lot. I have no doubt though should I make changes my physique would develop and my athletic performance would improve. I don't want to lose weight, I want to play at 78kgs but would like my body fat around 10%, I've never been below that mark.

I appreciate your views on me not being overweight lol, cheers.

Don't worry i know the exact feeling, i have a real sweet tooth myself. I can eb and flow in stages of being strict, somewhere in between and other times just not giving a damn! But last year i was pretty good for a 10 week stretch and got down to 80kg, before bulking back up over summer. I am planning to do my first comp (just physique not bodybuidling) in May this year, so this has really helped me stay on course with the diet. i have also joined an 8 week challenge at my gym to help stay on target, giving me a mini goal before my comp in May. But find a rotuine you enjoy and stick to it, and if you find you are happy going with the flow and keeping in good shape like your pics then keep going. If you want to go above and beyond that then it looks like you know what to do.

As for abs well muscle structure of any sort is to do with genetics. I am lucky my dad is naturally pretty lean and mum has pretty good muscle definition for a female, so i got the best of both worlds.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
That's not a bad list of advice (insulin spike comments aside). Agree on ditching the Vita Brits. Eggs are a good option, throw in some spinach or some such; or if you want to have grains for breakfast, cycle them on workout days and go with oats and seeds, maybe some dried apricot (although I know ablett won't agree on this). Ditching bread is another obvious point, same with the noodles; as is not eating after 8pm. I would also suggest getting off the soda and lime juice and replacing it with green tea throughout the day instead, iced if you like. A good table spoon of quality Tie Guan Yin tea should make up about a litre bottle. Infuse it before bed and refrigerate overnight.

Then there's supplements you could look into to help give you a push. Rasberry ketones, L-Carnetine, Green Tea extract, lecithin. Do your own research and trial what you think might work for you.

As someone else suggested, take a look at the IF thread, but of course consult with your doctor as there'd be issues regarding the dose and timing of your insulin injections. Might not be worth the hassle.

I use a organic NZ whey protein mixed with maca powder cacao powder and a few raw eggs after a workout .

This gives me enough energy to get thru the rest of the day if I'm training in the afternoon, I remove the maca if I work out in the evening as it has a caffeine like affect.

I also use super greens in the morning to give me a extra kick.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok boys so I am taking a big plunge, I am going caveman basically ( paleo ) in an attempt to get more out of my self athletically ( I want to see if it imprive my endurance) and try to see if I can get this stomach to show some abs!

I have a diet plan and program from one of the Irish boys at work who have undertaken a 12 week physique challenge in Northern Ireland at an old school gym ran by a nerdy ( but hardcore) owner trainer, people swear by it and pay 1500 pounds for the privilege. Check out the link below, crazy good results, if anyone is keen PM me and I will forward you on this data.

http://theamazing12.com/film/paul-mcilroys-12-week-physique/

I questioned the boys here that these results would/should/surely have been enhanced through anabolics and illegal cutters ( Anavar, Clen, Winny etc ) however he said you don't quite understand the owner, a real straight edge nerd who has an old school warehouse gym and he would never consider any unnatural supps nor would he allow anyone in his gym who he thinks would also go down that path. I can only take it on face value.

So I am prepping myself mentally to give this caveman diet a crack, wish me luck.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Ok boys so I am taking a big plunge, I am going caveman basically ( paleo ) in an attempt to get more out of my self athletically ( I want to see if it imprive my endurance) and try to see if I can get this stomach to show some abs!

I have a diet plan and program from one of the Irish boys at work who have undertaken a 12 week physique challenge in Northern Ireland at an old school gym ran by a nerdy ( but hardcore) owner trainer, people swear by it and pay 1500 pounds for the privilege. Check out the link below, crazy good results, if anyone is keen PM me and I will forward you on this data.

I questioned the boys here that these results would/should/surely have been enhanced through anabolics and illegal cutters ( Anavar, Clen, Winny etc ) however he said you don't quite understand the owner, a real straight edge nerd who has an old school warehouse gym and he would never consider any unnatural supps nor would he allow anyone in his gym who he thinks would also go down that path. I can only take it on face value.

So I am prepping myself mentally to give this caveman diet a crack, wish me luck.

Good stuff. Just a heads up if you haven't done low carb before and you have been a carb eater most of your life dropping carbs to low levels (sub 50g grams) for the day and no doubt intense exercise it will be a brutal combination.

What are your macros looking like?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good stuff. Just a heads up if you haven't done low carb before and you have been a carb eater most of your life dropping carbs to low levels (sub 50g grams) for the day and no doubt intense exercise it will be a brutal combination.

What are your macros looking like?

Not really doing macros mate, I have a very precise and simple diet to work with. I've got to say I'm feeling fairly sluggish as we speak lol.

Monday - Wednesday is basically carb free, eating white meats and low GI veg. I'm training tonight so I'll see how I go after my pwo but no doubt I'll struggle.

This is my pic of day one, interesting to see how I progress each week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 6
May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really doing macros mate, I have a very precise and simple diet to work with. I've got to say I'm feeling fairly sluggish as we speak lol.

Monday - Wednesday is basically carb free, eating white meats and low GI veg. I'm training tonight so I'll see how I go after my pwo but no doubt I'll struggle.

No need to go total carb free (or under 10g) you wont achieve anything except for feeling like crap. We need some carbs. Better to be 30-50g every day.

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Just doing macros is easier than counting calories. So they have just given you a meal plan with the amount of food to eat without the macro breakdown?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just doing macros is easier than counting calories. So they have just given you a meal plan with the amount of food to eat without the macro breakdown?

The guy who does the program gives you meal sizes but his focus is really on what you're putting in your mouth, once you read what he advises it's really easy to follow. Check out his site, his name is Paul Mcilroy, really well respected guy. If you want to look at his plan let me know.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
The guy who does the program gives you meal sizes but his focus is really on what you're putting in your mouth, once you read what he advises it's really easy to follow. Check out his site, his name is Paul Mcilroy, really well respected guy. If you want to look at his plan let me know.
I wouldnt mind having a look

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

I had a quick look of the website. Not trying to be a nay-sayer but i suppose the reason why they don't give you macros is so you can't track them yourself, it kinda does matter how much you are eating when looking to drop body fat. However i am sure they are providing you with a meal plan that will work, but something you can't easily alter yourself. Personally i spend the time developing my own meal plans and counting macros. But you sound motivated so keep sticking with what is working for you.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney

I dunno what to make of it. Looks impressive, but just screams "too good to be true." Good luck with it, though. Be interesting to see how it translates outside of the creators direct sphere.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I dunno what to make of it. Looks impressive, but just screams "too good to be true." Good luck with it, though. Be interesting to see how it translates outside of the creators direct sphere.

Like I said I only knew of it from the Irish rep at work who I sponsor.. He lived near the gym and completed the 12 week physique. His results were absolutely brilliant ( he wouldn't know what a steroid is).

Now I'm not following his training program, simply using his diet as a guide. Hopefully it can help bring out some abs. No doubt some guys ran cycles, it's the nature of the beast.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
This in 12 weeks? Sorry, nup.

01jasonkellypreview-189e51615e.jpg

He even went bald in 12 weeks. Poor bugger.

Good spot indeed. I could see a bodybuilder with the assistance of a few drugs do this in 12 weeks but not your drug free average joe.

On a separate note i love all the before photos on all types of 4, 8, 12 week challenges. They always the most unflattering poorly lit and posed of all. And then after photos'......boom standing up, abs and any muscle all tensed in well posed, well lit areas! I've started my own 8 week challenge at my gym and did exactly the same thing. Can't beat em join em.

Great spot

Stick with it and you will no doubt see some great results at the end of 12 weeks!

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good spot indeed. I could see a bodybuilder with the assistance of a few drugs do this in 12 weeks but not your drug free average joe.

On a separate note i love all the before photos on all types of 4, 8, 12 week challenges. They always the most unflattering poorly lit and posed of all. And then after photos'......boom standing up, abs and any muscle all tensed in well posed, well lit areas! I've started my own 8 week challenge at my gym and did exactly the same thing. Can't beat em join em.

Stick with it and you will no doubt see some great results at the end of 12 weeks!

Really sluggish first day, I was fairly fatigued and flat at the gym and really struggled to finish off my last km.

My days food was as listed:

7am - 3 x eggs ( 2 with the yolk) - 1 banana - 1 black espresso

10:30am - 1 black espresso - 1 protein shake - 1 banana

1pm - chicken breast + greens

2:30pm - Can of tuna with tomatoes

4pm - 1 black espresso

5:30pm - 1 apple

6pm-7pm Gym

7:30pm -300g salmon, qtr of a cucumber and some greens

10pm - Protein shake

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Really sluggish first day, I was fairly fatigued and flat at the gym and really struggled to finish off my last km.

My days food was as listed:

7am - 3 x eggs ( 2 with the yolk) - 1 banana - 1 black espresso

10:30am - 1 black espresso - 1 protein shake - 1 banana

1pm - chicken breast + greens

2:30pm - Can of tuna with tomatoes

4pm - 1 black espresso

5:30pm - 1 apple

6pm-7pm Gym

7:30pm -300g salmon, qtr of a cucumber and some greens

10pm - Protein shake

I remember when i first went Paleo/low carb it was brutal particularly as i changed my diet habits literally over a weekend so it was an even big shock for the body, i felt so weak and drained. The only upside is you know your body will adapt and it will get easier (however slight that maybe).

Meal plans looks good, not dissimilar to mine but i'm not a coffee drinker. Also id prefer to put carbs post work out, so eat bananas or sweet potato equivalent post work out. Also once i eat dinner around 8/8;30 that's it, i don't have another shake as i try to utilize the bodies "fasting" process while i sleep.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I remember when i first went Paleo/low carb it was brutal particularly as i changed my diet habits literally over a weekend so it was an even big shock for the body, i felt so weak and drained. The only upside is you know your body will adapt and it will get easier (however slight that maybe).

Meal plans looks good, not dissimilar to mine but i'm not a coffee drinker. Also id prefer to put carbs post work out, so eat bananas or sweet potato equivalent post work out. Also once i eat dinner around 8/8;30 that's it, i don't have another shake as i try to utilize the bodies "fasting" process while i sleep.

I will get to that point where I will feel more adapt, to be honest it's not that hard, what's hard is walking through woolworths and smelling all the food and grabbing a crappy carb less protein bar after your boring chicken breast and greens lol.

Even this morning I took a picture when I woke up and I had far less bloat than normally.

What do you do on the weekends? I think on the weekends I will watch what I eat but not be fussed about grabbing a latte and having some raisin toast or eating popcorn at the movies, I'm not going to go nuts on the weekend but I won't be strict like I am during the week.

Back