Capital One Cup 15/16

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad we're taking it in the right spirit this year. Strong starting line up, giving our reserve keeper a run out, giving our depth a chance to shine by having Meyler start, and bringing on some of our Academy prospects like Dixon and Luer - the latter of whom scored his first senior goal. Perfect, proper use of cup competition.

Unlucky to lose last night, was always going to be hard with ten men.

Was a very Leeds game though, score first, sending off, absorb pressure all match then have your two best bottle penalties like you'd never seen.

Also Doukara has to go, has the touch of a baby elephant. Same for Wootton.

Is it really only 100k to win the League Cup?? :drunk:

100k for winner and 50k for runner up.

Hence why I'm never bothered when we're knocked out, would rather just focus on the league.

Well a fun fact about the League Cup is that its whole existence is just there for the sole purpose of giving teams that were knocked out of the FA cup a chance to play more matches to make up for lost revenue. Of course, £100k is barely anything to top tier clubs and even Championship clubs. Of course, to the smaller clubs, there is some decent coin to be won the more they progress, from £5k for winning the First Round, £7k for the Second, £10k for the Third, £15k for the Fourth, £20k for the Fifth, and £25k for the Semis. Of course, this is after winning each round, so if Chelsea won the cup, they would win £170k as a minimum.

The biggest source of money it should be noted is that for every match, teams take 45% of the ticket money no matter where it is played. It should also be noted that the live TV games also attract broadcast money. If I recall correctly, MK Dons took home nearly £2m for their game against United. £2m for a then League One club is some really good coin. Not bad at all!

It should be noted that it is the FL that run the competition.

A trophy is a trophy. I hope we win it this year.

Fair play, but in our instance, the last few seasons has seen us go on a decent cup run at the peril of the league.

League has to be No. 1 priority for us this year.

You can see why the big clubs don't give a crap about the League Cup/Capital One Cup. £100k is small change compared to what they get from the FA Cup and Euro League. Hence why the League Cup is well known for "giant killers" where minnows defeat Premier League sides playing their second and third string players.

Have to admit though, when doing a FIFA career and you're starting with a League 2 team (I chose Portsmouth), some of the money, as pitiful as it is, does help, if only for player wages (I signed a few players through pre-contract agreements as they had less than 6 months to go and nearly blew my wages bill that way. Saved half a million in transfer $$ though so can't complain too much I guess)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back