Capricornia league

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd add in that anyone that's worked in mining before will be aware of how hard up against it coal is at the moment. Gladstone is awash with rumours of steel works and expansion on Curtis Island, with construction to continue for another ten years, but it's definitely a time when you'd want your job organised before you get up here.

Do any of the clubs find work for players or is it more of a league for guys that move to the area rather than getting guys to move to the area through work and play football?

I can't speak for other clubs but I know that we don't. a couple of guys who we've convinced to come up in the past have been 'lucky enough' to find work with a teammate's business and the like, but generally we're a place to come have a kick for people who are here for other reasons.

that said, Gladstone was absolutely booming last year and they got a bunch of handy players in, even managing to attract the services of the league's leading goalkicker across from BITS, as well as being rumoured to have attracted Jeff Farmer up (but that one fell through). but you'd have to ask them how they managed that

Whoever is writing the articles on the AFL Capricornia site had billed our cellar dweller clash against Panthers as the potential match of the round, and it kind of delivered. Fairly tight scrappy affair for three quarters in a light drizzle, before perhaps one of the most collectively nervous final quarters I've ever seen from both sides. The shiteaters (who have yet to come up with a better name for us than 'fish eaters' and whose fans owe us a new bin lid...add that one to the list) won it with a goal on the buzzer after we'd missed a few set shots.

It seems like we'd forgotten how to win but there were some very encouraging signs from yesterday (and a handy new addition from Vic) and I daresay we're a lot closer to the end than the start of this losing run. We may also benefit in a couple weeks from the charges to come from that brawl, which are still yet to be heard.

We'll have to wait and see if our game gets more than a sentence in the Bully this week, in an article sure to be dominated by that 'journalist's' club and their predictably convincing loss at BITS. Apparently Yeppoon also got up over Gladstone

This was a great game to watch. As a Panthers ressies player watching this game was so tense. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Also what happened with the bin lid? Haha.

Do any of the clubs find work for players or is it more of a league for guys that move to the area rather than getting guys to move to the area through work and play football?

I think it is a bit different for every player. Some players move up, get a job and then find a team. Other players that people know already and talk to the teams can often get a job and stuff organized before they move up.

This was a great game to watch. As a Panthers ressies player watching this game was so tense. Thoroughly enjoyable.

maybe for your lot and the one neutral (our esteemed league president) - I'm down a few lives though. we just lacked cool heads when it mattered - something about 'forgetting how to win'.

Also what happened with the bin lid? Haha.

I do say that in jest - a spectator was bashing on one of our council bins with each Panther goal, got asked to stop and ended up putting his hand through it. nobody's holding their breath for the cheque to arrive though ;)

How's the feeling over there? I note you guys are having a strong year in the twos, and racking up the honourable losses in the ones. haven't seen summers this year, has he moved on?

fumbler said:
BITS @ Home this weekend will be a tough one.
won't be worth the $3 in the senior grades. generally deflating season + poor training intensity + top side + planned pissup after the game = ....?

that said, how are the junior grades shaping up?

maybe for your lot and the one neutral (our esteemed league president) - I'm down a few lives though. we just lacked cool heads when it mattered - something about 'forgetting how to win'.

We have had a similar problem in the A's. We have had a few games where we were winning towards the end of the last quarter and lost by less then a goal. This has happened at least twice, maybe thrice.

I do say that in jest - a spectator was bashing on one of our council bins with each Panther goal, got asked to stop and ended up putting his hand through it. nobody's holding their breath for the cheque to arrive though ;)

How's the feeling over there? I note you guys are having a strong year in the twos, and racking up the honourable losses in the ones. haven't seen summers this year, has he moved on?

I doubt you will get money for a bin lid sorry. Haha. I am thinking about bringing my vuvuzella to a game. That should have more impact then a bin lid...

Summers has moved which is sad. Our Jesus lookalike. Our ressies is going amazing this year. That is the side I play in. That comes from getting 50 - 60 down to training most nights. They fill the A grade side then and we are still left with half a side of people that would normally play A's for us, but there is no room at the moment so ressies it is. A's is pretty much going as mentioned above. Always close enough to think you are in it but just falling at the last hurdle.

ah the vuvuzela - I brought one to our grand final in 2010, and for whatever reason never saw it again after that night. hahahahahahaha

shame summers has gone, he was one of the good ones. hopefully to bigger and better things. you guys have to make sure to line up the twins on each other next time we play you ;) that matchup is great value.

the emerald experiment has been interesting...helped us uncover a few handy players but cohesion has been a challenge. in preseason we had an intra out there that near filled the showgrounds. would love to see us move a home game out there next year if we keep up with it.

ah the vuvuzela - I brought one to our grand final in 2010, and for whatever reason never saw it again after that night. hahahahahahaha

I will have to bring it along to the grand final if our ressies team makes it. I can't see me playing in the GF if we do get that far.

shame summers has gone, he was one of the good ones. hopefully to bigger and better things. you guys have to make sure to line up the twins on each other next time we play you ;) that matchup is great value.

I think he has moved down to Brisbane. Maybe for a teaching job or something? Not completely sure. How many people do you know from other clubs? I have only been down to Panthers for a year and a half now so I still don't know many people from other clubs around. Except for Steppo (spelling?) and Animal.

Jake and Trent just seemed to be fighting the whole time when we played you last time. Haha.

the emerald experiment has been interesting...helped us uncover a few handy players but cohesion has been a challenge. in preseason we had an intra out there that near filled the showgrounds. would love to see us move a home game out there next year if we keep up with it.

I think having the Grand Final at the showgrounds could be fun. Not sure exactly how you would do change rooms and the like. If you have had stuff there before it is obviously doable though. I think it would be a great place for the GF.

won't be worth the $3 in the senior grades. generally deflating season + poor training intensity + top side + planned pissup after the game = ....?

that said, how are the junior grades shaping up?

Understand about the Seniors, but that's what happens in a country area with three clubs in the one town.

U17's are similar to the seniors, not enough turning up to training. They play well but in patches, there is some talent their for the club to improve on if they can hold onto them for next season.
U15's are 5th by percentage and BITS haven't been travelling to well this season and Brothers are 1 game behind them.
U13's is going well and are 2 games ahead of 4th place Glenmore, but BITS are top with zero loses and a percentage of 1700%, so this could be a doozy of a game.

there's a couple...it's a small world up here and you tend to see the same faces 5 or 6 times a year and meet a couple out on the piss as well. it isn't hard to get to know a few from other clubs, especially when you have a common talking point. haven't come across anyone that misses animal as yet

I don't think you'd ever see a grand final out there...I'm not sure especially if BITS have a few teams playing they would be too thrilled to head to emerald on grand final day. a regular season game between 2 rocky clubs may fill a few motels (which they probably need) and get the town talking - all we need to do is not get creamed. we had to change for the intra in the old canteen which is probably not doable, but I'm sure the council may help out and drop a donga or two out there for us. or at the very least hang a blanket in a tree ;)

there's a couple...it's a small world up here and you tend to see the same faces 5 or 6 times a year and meet a couple out on the piss as well. it isn't hard to get to know a few from other clubs, especially when you have a common talking point. haven't come across anyone that misses animal as yet

Yeah, I'm sure I will get to know a fair few people over the next few years.

I don't think you'd ever see a grand final out there...I'm not sure especially if BITS have a few teams playing they would be too thrilled to head to emerald on grand final day. a regular season game between 2 rocky clubs may fill a few motels (which they probably need) and get the town talking - all we need to do is not get creamed. we had to change for the intra in the old canteen which is probably not doable, but I'm sure the council may help out and drop a donga or two out there for us. or at the very least hang a blanket in a tree ;)

Sorry. I must have misread. I have no idea what I thought I read though because what I thought I read doesn't make a whole heap of sense.

So. Having some games in Emerald does seem like a pretty sweet idea. And if you have got some alright players out of there it is obviously working alright.

What I thought I read was you had some games at the Rocky showgrounds (told you it makes no sense). I think though it would be cool to have the grand final there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand about the Seniors, but that's what happens in a country area with three clubs in the one town.

there's a mentality there I really hope we aren't getting into. in terms of pure population and catchment, I think each club is on about an equal footing. Boyne/Tannum could only have 20k tops living there and they have dominated for many years.

U17's are similar to the seniors, not enough turning up to training. They play well but in patches, there is some talent their for the club to improve on if they can hold onto them for next season.
U15's are 5th by percentage and BITS haven't been travelling to well this season and Brothers are 1 game behind them.
U13's is going well and are 2 games ahead of 4th place Glenmore, but BITS are top with zero loses and a percentage of 1700%, so this could be a doozy of a game.

seniors have also had the problem of fitness and intensity, let's not forget that. it will be good if we can hang onto some of the 17s like we haven't been able to, but I'm more excited about the 15s and 13s if we can hang onto a few of them. haven't heard the song in a while..I may head down early saturday then and press the siren then.

Sorry. I must have misread. I have no idea what I thought I read though because what I thought I read doesn't make a whole heap of sense.

So. Having some games in Emerald does seem like a pretty sweet idea. And if you have got some alright players out of there it is obviously working alright.

What I thought I read was you had some games at the Rocky showgrounds (told you it makes no sense). I think though it would be cool to have the grand final there.

I thought you must've...otherwise it's a big step moving a grand final out there ;)

I was watching the speedway at the rocky showgrounds a while back and though it wouldn't be a horrible ground to watch footy at. just bring a pillow to sit on because the legs will be asleep by quarter time. the bunfight over who gets the bar takings will probably be as entertaining as the onfield action too ;)

there's a mentality there I really hope we aren't getting into. in terms of pure population and catchment, I think each club is on about an equal footing. Boyne/Tannum could only have 20k tops living there and they have dominated for many years

This doesn't come down to population base though. A lot of that has to do with players coming in from down south. There is much more work in places like Gladstone and Boyne so this leads to stronger teams there. As is evident by it being a double up in the grand finals last year between BITS and Muddies.

I thought you must've...otherwise it's a big step moving a grand final out there ;)

I was watching the speedway at the rocky showgrounds a while back and though it wouldn't be a horrible ground to watch footy at. just bring a pillow to sit on because the legs will be asleep by quarter time. the bunfight over who gets the bar takings will probably be as entertaining as the onfield action too ;)

I think the bar takings are the biggest problem. I know clubs love having finals at home because they make a million dollars. If you could sort that out I think it could be ok. I think playing at a bigger stadium would give a sense of occasion to the day also. If you could advertise it and make it as big as league or cricket grand finals. They get heaps of spectators down to those.

I think the bar takings are the biggest problem. I know clubs love having finals at home because they make a million dollars. If you could sort that out I think it could be ok. I think playing at a bigger stadium would give a sense of occasion to the day also. If you could advertise it and make it as big as league or cricket grand finals. They get heaps of spectators down to those.

Google earth reckons it's only about 130m long, which would make for some spectacular flooding tactics. in fairness it's probably why Brothers never played there in previous years, instead being offered the 'spacious' victoria park across the road. it would be good to see a bit of coverage in the local rag, I know the back page of the bully from our 2005 flag has pride of place in a few mancaves around town. I doubt it these days though, our 2010 double only warranted a few inches of column space. given the current sports 'journalist' is a player from that other rocky club I doubt we would receive much more today

I was kindof agreeing on that population bit too. there are a lot of quality players up here that we haven't unearthed for a variety of reasons - I think the main ingredient for success is the internal culture at each club. I hope we don't ever start playing that victim card because there are two other teams here

Google earth reckons it's only about 130m long, which would make for some spectacular flooding tactics. in fairness it's probably why Brothers never played there in previous years, instead being offered the 'spacious' victoria park across the road. it would be good to see a bit of coverage in the local rag, I know the back page of the bully from our 2005 flag has pride of place in a few mancaves around town. I doubt it these days though, our 2010 double only warranted a few inches of column space. given the current sports 'journalist' is a player from that other rocky club I doubt we would receive much more today

I think you need at least 150 mtrs. 2 arcs and a centre square are all 50 long. It would be good for more coverage in our local papers. I know at The Queensland Telegraph (where I work) we were wanting to do a double page spread every week on AFL, but could never get the advertisers to sponsor the page. So when we have other things that people will pay for the advertising they tend to take precedence.

I was kindof agreeing on that population bit too. there are a lot of quality players up here that we haven't unearthed for a variety of reasons - I think the main ingredient for success is the internal culture at each club. I hope we don't ever start playing that victim card because there are two other teams here

I am not sure what the culture is at other clubs. I love the culture down at Panthers. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. Just the whole experience is a good one and makes you want to go to training and play for your mates on the weekend.

Just a question. As I have only been to AFL for last season and this season. Why does everyone call Panthers 'shiteaters'? In my time I don't think I have seen anyone do anything that should make everyone in the whole league hate us. We had someone at work experience who plays in the juniors (under13s or 15s I think) for one of the other clubs in town. As soon as she heard I was a Panthers players she just went off

'All Panthers are s**t eaters and s**t humans. Everyone hates Panthers. Every single Panther is scum of the earth.'

This was from a 14 year old or something. Like seriously I thought that was pretty shocking.

dunno, it was like that when I got here.

I'd not be shocked if people call us worse things than fisheaters when we aren't around, but frankly I couldn't care less. everybody likes throwing mud over the fence. it's just a giggle to hear 'COP THAT YA FISHEATERS' when you'd be hard pressed to find a bible basher around our club these days anyway

I think you need at least 150 mtrs. 2 arcs and a centre square are all 50 long. It would be good for more coverage in our local papers. I know at The Queensland Telegraph (where I work) we were wanting to do a double page spread every week on AFL, but could never get the advertisers to sponsor the page. So when we have other things that people will pay for the advertising they tend to take precedence.

hmmmm.......

have you hit up Bendigo Bank at all for sponsorship? Them or NAB....I know the former manager from here and he reckons they're pushing that 'footifying australia' campaign pretty hard. I would definitely be a convert if it meant I didn't have to read about the bulls every week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back