Captaincy announcement: Grimes steps down from Co-Captain role

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO the Melbourne captaincy has been devalued since McDonald was basically sacked, with him then green then grimes and trengove having all had it in such a short amount of time I think it lost some of its value

With chunk and grimes you have potentially a duo That will do a good job for 5+ years , great choice and someone like trenners can reassume it after chunk is done

I'm very happy with the captains and leadership group. As noted, surprised Dawes is not amongst it but I'd bet he'd be next in if it were a larger group. Very happy Frawley is in there. I just hope it's not a token appointment.
I totally agree with everything you have mentioned. I'm sure Roosy would not stand for a token appointment. Everything the great man approves we should back in 100% - now we just need Frawley to re-sign to prove it!

Nice slimline leadership group, no need for these 8/10 man monstrosities. Grimes and Jones the obvious choices for captain.

Correlation doesn't equal causation but in defence of 10 man leadership groups the season West Coast implemented one they went from 16th on the ladder to top 4 (2010 to 2011) and stayed top 5 for three years. I feel like it's something that has very little bearing on actual outcomes around a football club. Doesn't bother me either way, just something I thought I'd point out.

As others have said, Dawes' omission grabbed my interest immediately. Out of all those candidates to exclude though he makes sense, in that he seems like the one most likely to behave like a leader with or without a formal title, and the other players certainly treat him like one.

Correlation doesn't equal causation but in defence of 10 man leadership groups the season West Coast implemented one they went from 16th on the ladder to top 4 (2010 to 2011) and stayed top 5 for three years. I feel like it's something that has very little bearing on actual outcomes around a football club. Doesn't bother me either way, just something I thought I'd point out.

And now West Coast have streamlined back down to five.

They can have 18 Captains running around , if we look like a football team for a change they can make every one on the list co-captains for all i care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's Chris 'leader of men' Dawes?

Still behind Mitch Clark in the pecking order.:thumbsu:

He honestly didnt believe after just one injury interrupted, over paid season that he was.......nah, surely not.

He was in the leadership group last season.

Our coach last year had a lot of 'crazzzy' ideas, didnt he?

(including paying 500k a season and giving away pick 20 for Dawes)

The leadership group is chosen mostly by the players.

I find it hard to believe that Dawes would be voted in last year (by the players) yet doesnt make it in at his second season with the club.

From this we can gain that he either didnt impress this playing group or he was put in the leadership group by Crazy Neeld last year. Have it anyway you like. Im choosing the later.

I find it hard to believe that Dawes would be voted in last year (by the players) yet doesnt make it in at his second season with the club.

From this we can gain that he either didnt impress this playing group or he was put in the leadership group by Crazy Neeld last year. Have it anyway you like. Im choosing the later.

There must be a certain truth to that. Neeld needed someone who was behind him 100% in the playing group considering how much most of the players hated him. Dawes was part of the 'in' group who had happily worked with him at collingwood. That being said I don't get the sense that Dawes is disliked by the playing group.

There must be a certain truth to that. Neeld needed someone who was behind him 100% in the playing group considering how much most of the players hated him. Dawes was part of the 'in' group who had happily worked with him at collingwood. That being said I don't get the sense that Dawes is disliked by the playing group.

I totally agree with everything you have said.

Or that he was 7th in line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back