Captaincy, Leadership & Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Says something = Empty rhetoric

Says nothing = Introverted coward.

We have hit negativity ground zero. Everything will just be s**t to some people.

Well don't hold back matey - we can all do with some good news..let rip...lets have it...feel free to share..:thumbsu:

What do you expect him to say? While we continue to play poorly he's going to get crucified no matter what he says.

He took responsibility, admitted he's not injured (which I doubt) and reinforced it's his job and that of the leaders to bring consistency and lead for the others.

If he's not the best captain then that's an indictment on the club and the position we find ourselves in, Murph certainly isn't shying away from our sub standard performances

[QUOTE="The Flying Doormat, post: 37925667, member: 67083"]Mirror anyone?[/QUOTE]

get the feeling Murph probably has more of them than most of us here combined....

just a thought, how about letting the opposition concentrate on Murphy Judd and Gibbs and we get Cripps, Graham, Whiley, Gowers etc some cutout in the middle.
Then we will not be relying on the Fab 3 to get us over the line. Let those three loose on the outside with one of them being in the middle at any given time.
Might take a season or two but those young'ns will soon step up.

Cripps, Whiley and Graham should be blooded soon enough.

What do you expect him to say? While we continue to play poorly he's going to get crucified no matter what he says.

He took responsibility, admitted he's not injured (which I doubt) and reinforced it's his job and that of the leaders to bring consistency and lead for the others.

If he's not the best captain then that's an indictment on the club and the position we find ourselves in, Murph certainly isn't shying away from our sub standard performances

I'm still wondering what happened to his pace and core strength? Murphy looks slow as hell nowadays.

Docherty spoke so well post match. Said they weren't hard enough at the contest. Said he thought they could still win at 5 goals down and was going around telling the others. Said that he would rather the win than a good personal game. Very mature head on his shoulders.

Then he should stop kneeling down. In all truth I heard parts of his interview and thought he spoke well. He said things that leave him in an even bigger pickle if he doesn't practise what he preaches. The people asking questions actually sounded sympathetic - sorry for him even. What a mess.

That doesn't explain why he can't lay a bone crushing tackle. He might be short but he still looks strong, just can't stick a tackle to save himself.

Murphy looks like he has no power in his legs.

Considering he is often trying to take down guys with 15cm's on him and 20 kilos on him in the midfield it makes a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Hodge would still be marshaling his troops across the backline and hitting as hard as possible if he had both legs removed above the knees.

Hodge often looked fat and slow when he his team wasn't up and about for awhile there.

Remember his insipid 2012 GF when he was playing injured?

I expect him to be the one in the team huddle giving the rev up / spray, not leaving it to others. I expect him to be filthy after a flogging by a sub standard team, not joking with opposition players. I expect him to lead on the field during a game, not give an interview full of cliches & empty rhetoric days after the game has been lost.

FFS, Murphy, Gibbs and plenty of others face the very real possibility playing their entire careers without tasting any meaningful victories or real success. How does that not eat them up & make them bust a gut.

I expect him to be the one in the team huddle giving the rev up / spray, not leaving it to others. I expect him to be filthy after a flogging by a sub standard team, not joking with opposition players. I expect him to lead on the field during a game, not give an interview full of cliches & empty rhetoric days after the game has been lost.

FFS, Murphy, Gibbs and plenty of others face the very real possibility playing their entire careers without tasting any meaningful victories or real success. How does that not eat them up & make them bust a gut.

Money.

I'd have 1 of Murphy or Gibbs in the VFL this week. Heck send them both back.

Both Murphy and Gibbs were in our top 5 players last week. They are playing their game but need the rest of the team to help out.

Maybe Murphy needs to talk to the selectors and get some players in who actually want to win like Army, Bucs, etc.

I think everyone is just sick of all the talk,talk,talk.
We've talked a good game for years now, with minimal improvement on the field.

Unfortunately I would question that as I think we have gone backwards.

I am getting sick of being the team that the opposition starts licking their lips when it is their turn to play us. No one respects us. No one fears us.

Last edited:
If you'd like to address me, I suggest you quote me so that I can reply.

I say empty rhetoric because what is he actually telling us? He's disappointed that no one stood up when Juddy was tagged? It's been happening for 7 years now. Further, as the captain, he is the person responsible for making sure that someone helps Judd out. He didn't take responsibility for it at all!
Actually wasn't refferring to you or any individual poster. Was commenting on the general feeling throughout the board.

It was not a personal attack.

It occurs to me that with other leaders performing the inspirational acts, Murphy and Gibbs would be some pretty classy cream on top of the cake that we would find it hard to replace. Maybe the answer is not looking to trade away our good players but recognise their weaknesses and get other players to support them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back