Career Sheffield Shield Batting Record of Current Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Just to celebrate Hughes completing his 50th ever Shield match.

I've taken most of the notable (batting wise) shield batsman currently still around.

As part of my uni work I had to build a database using excel so this wasn't as much work as it looks but Black Diamond you can take this as an exercise of study avoidance.

Obviously for a lot of the younger players like Mitch Marsh or Travis Head their career record is pretty irrelevant because they were selected young and kept in the team for development.

sshield 01.jpg
sshield 02.jpg
sshield 03.jpg

Handscomb is 33 on the list.

What I find interesting is that of late Rogers is our only batsman to succeed on the back of his Shield record. The two most notable in contrast to him are Hughes and Khawaja, both of whom are probably in last chance saloon. Warner was picked off a very small sample size; ultimately they were relying on his talent. Smith's figures were not that good either when he was picked at first, and were middling when he got back into the side last year.

So what does this mean for the relevance of Shield records and what approach should be taken to selection? A heavier emphasis on technique and attitude rather than numbers? Hughes on that front is a real puzzle. I know there is a gap between state and Test cricket but still, you'd think local bowlers could do more to stitch him up. I also think he and Khawaja might have confidence issues. Their mannerisms at the crease and body language have concerned me for a little while.

Last edited:

First thing that stands out is warner has only ever played 12 shield games, amazing

Only 5 players with acceptable averages really (over 45). Only 17 over 40 and 2 of those are wicketkeepers and 3 are all rounders (maxwell, watson & McDonald)

Maxwell is an interesting one, decent start to his shield career. reckon if he gets rid of some of his stupid shots then could see him averaging 45+. Bit like warner early on when he didnt know how to pace an inning. bit of maturity and could be a good test player (but the selectors will/have stuffed him up by playing him too early)

The thing is, pretty much every young player is predisposed to aggressive batting. Michel Clarke was an impatient player who hit far too many balls through the air. Steve Waugh was a renegade when he started out, but became a more circumspect player. I think Warner has a bit of that about his game: built on a decent technique but reining in his impulses. Warner scores quickly whilst playing conservatively because he is physically gifted. He is more in the Clarke/Waugh group of batsmen than he is like Maxwell.

I don't believe Maxwell is as physically gifted as Warner. He can hit a bad ball a long way, but so can lots of players. To me he relies on too many whimsical shots and is only adept to fast batting, whereas Warner has shown he can bat fast and slow. Maxwell likes to hit through the air too. When a player does that as often as he does, I start to wonder if they have the ability to keep a bad ball on the ground (what are his levers doing?).Those reasons make me doubt Maxwell's ability to succeed at Test level regardless of his Shield record.

Rogers
*Warner
Maxwell
*Clarke
*Smith
M.Marsh
Haddin

v

Hughes
Khawaja
Silk
*Watson
Cooper
Lynn
Wade

There's only four decent test batsmen in Australia. The days of Lehmann, Blewett, and even Martyn spending years on the sidelines are well and truly over.

Hughes on that front is a real puzzle. I know there is a gap between state and Test cricket but still, you'd think local bowlers could do more to stitch him up. I also think he and Khawaja might have confidence issues. Their mannerisms at the crease and body language have concerned me for a little while.

At international level Hughes and Khawaja have always struck me as blokes batting as if they were about to be dropped and knew it.

The selectors were way too harsh on them at the start of their international careers.

At international level Hughes and Khawaja have always struck me as blokes batting as if they were about to be dropped and knew it.

The selectors were way too harsh on them at the start of their international careers.

Name a batsmen that has come into the side the last 5 years and hasnt felt the same. selectors are too quick to change their minds and not trust people they have elevated.

Saying that its their own fault as well, too many times they pick players on potential rather than performance of 1 season's performance rather than 3-4 years of sustained success. Players are being picked before they are ready (both technically and especially mentally)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rogers
*Warner
Maxwell
*Clarke
*Smith
M.Marsh
Haddin

v

Hughes
Khawaja
Silk
*Watson
Cooper
Lynn
Wade

There's only four decent test batsmen in Australia. The days of Lehmann, Blewett, and even Martyn spending years on the sidelines are well and truly over.
A couple of small changes I'd make on the second team would be:

Hughes
Silk
Khawaja
Lynn
Cooper
Watson
Wade

A couple of small changes I'd make on the second team would be:

Hughes
Silk
Khawaja
Lynn
Cooper
Watson
Wade

TBH, I just worked down the averages in order, and kicked out some oldies. It's depressing reading - especially as I don't think it's due to our amazing bowling stocks.

For those that are interested Punter averaged 63 over his 65 matches

And most of them would have been at the start of his career and when he was "finished" at the end.

I'm actually surprised 17 batsman average over 40. It doesn't feel like it :oops:

I hope Silk is ready when Rogers hangs them up. Though I imagine the Watto shuffle will probably continue and he will go back to opening with Warner.

TBH, I just worked down the averages in order, and kicked out some oldies. It's depressing reading - especially as I don't think it's due to our amazing bowling stocks.
Handscomb, Burns, Head and Whiteman really need to push up into that second group.

The really strange one is Michael Bevan who averaged 60 in the Shield.

I used to think they were too harsh but have changed my mind. To me the question is one of culture. Why don't these guys feel part of the team now?

The really strange one is Michael Bevan who averaged 60 in the Shield.

I used to think they were too harsh but have changed my mind. To me the question is one of culture. Why don't these guys feel part of the team now?

Well there was a pretty big factional split in he team for a while. Watson vs Clarke. Mickey Arthur.

It's why Haddin was brought back.

And Khawaja has barely played since and Hughes has only played ODIs where he has performed decently.

Silk has the potential to be a good Test player. Really hope he doesn't get corrupted by the shorter form. Would be a good replacement for Rogers when he goes.

I think that's unlikely. Silk is a liability in the shorter forms so he'll never make any money there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back