Carlton 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Promising kids? Like who?

Their best players are inconsistent and soft, their depth is potentially only better than Richmond's, there's a big boy's club division, the coaching panel seems shallow and they've been lacking a proper forward more than even Freo. That's not to mention the inevitability of their drafting turning out disappointing (but then again, who except the Hawks and Port of late are tactful drafters?).

Where are they at? Lost, bumbling, with four-game-streaks of false-hope and a messiah reliance now relegated to backroom staff appointments. They're lucky there's so much evenness in the middle of the road and so much rubbish below them so they can bully a few sides. Aside from that... same old same old.

The old jumper'll look great, though.

I don't know if it's an understatement to say Carlton have a worser list than St Kilda atm.

St Kilda have decent amount of kids to develop like Goddard , McCartin , White , Dunstan , Steven , Acres , Billings , Hickey and Longer

Their offseason sent mixed messages.

They talked about regeneration of the list when they traded their best small forward in Jeff Garlett, let their #2 KPF in Waite walk to North and the cut one of their best performed mids from 2014 in Brock McLean.

Then they go and draft Blaine Boekhorst because he is more "AFL ready" than Laverde and Goddard.

If they are going to rebuild why do they need a player to be AFL ready from day 1?

This sends an inconsistant message - they either think they can make finals next year or they dont. If they believe that they can make it why would they move Waite, Garlett and McLean on?

At worst they provide great depth options.

If they are serious about the rebuild then why would they overlook Laverde and Goddard, who had both been rated top 5 at various times, for a 21 year old rake playing Div 2 football?

Why would Mick talk to Cox about coming in to play when the Blues have senior rucks in Warnock, Wood and Kreuzer? It's different to Hudson going to the Pies to coach a group of kids in Keefe, Witts and Grundy.

Does Mick think that Dean Cox would push the Blues to the top 4?

It screams of a club that is divided in it's self assessment and it could be a disaster if they dont commit to a direction by trade week 2015.

Either go all out and load up on the best possible senior options ala Essendon and Geelong or scuttle the ship and start again like the Hawks did 10 years ago and the Saints are doing right now.

So much for the "top 4 list" that Mick took over from an "under performing" Brett Ratten...

The only ones even worth something are Simpson, Judd and Walker who probably have 1-2 years left which means nothing now.. Menzel and Casboult are the only kids in that side I'd consider

no love for gibbs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at their list and see absolutely nothing. They've plateaued over the last 10 years, 2011 aside.

Their list is in a horrible state. I'd say their list is the one I'd hate most to have. St. Kilda's list 2012-13 was the worst but they've drafted well and have some exciting kids because they've fully embraced the clean out and rebuild. They will still however takes years to become anywhere near a finals threat but at least they look like their building nicely at the beginning of the rebuild.

If St. Kilda are 4-5 years or so away IMO then what would Carlton be. Let's put it this way, if they have a top 4 side in 6 years time I'll be genuinely shocked.

Yes 6 years is a massive amount of time and anything can happen but history shows teams stay up the top for awhile now and teams at the bottom can take years and years before the improvement comes.

I like Gibbs and Menzel. Not sure any other player would genuinely excite me to be on my list. Actually Yarran. Maybe Henderson and Murphy.

Others like Buckley, Casboult, Graham etc just look like they'll be solid B/C graders at best.

Their 22 is one of the worst looking, yeah it could beat up on some lower younger sides but in 3 years time that won't be the case. Their depth is terrible and looking at their list, they have that much deadwood and players that won't take them to the top 4 anytime soon.

I know I'm just bashing them here but that's my honest assessment of their list. It's in a terrible state.

Last edited:
That's ok I'll put in my argument on behalf of the Blues!

Blues list isn't as bad as people think, heaps young players coming through like Cripps, Blaine Johnson, Graham, Menzel and Dylan Buckley

Our 2nd tier players have shown signs of improvement and I expect them to take another step forward in 2015, maybe not to elite level but working towards it. Players like Levi, Ed Curnow, Sam Rowe & Docherty

Inclusions we got during trade are experienced and expect them so have positive influence such as Jaksch, Whiley, Liam Jones and Blaine Boekhorst who is mature age

With our draw I still stand by that Mick will get us into the 8 and play finals, his done it soo many time with Pies and once with Blues in 2013, still remember final against Tigers, hope experience it agajn in 2015

Look it's about a 40% chance we will make the 8, but with our draw hope it works in our favour, nothing is gauranteed but as a supporter my job is to stay positive

Carlton will finish between 10-14 for the next 5 years
Possibly worse than that if they don't wake up to where they are at, they still think they are in the window of a flag, the membership is dropping and they don't seem to have the answers on or off the field, teams like Essendon and Carlton really need to maintain success to hold on to membership they could be in a long drought the way the team is looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back