Carlton 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I get it. You're a club supporter. We all are. Same goes for all clubs and supporters. But let's not amplify our support to meaning more than it does. I hate to tell you, but you personally had nothing to do with your clubs premiership this year. If you dropped off the face of the earth last year the result would have been exactly the same, barring some butterfly flaps it's wings phenomenon.

You didn't personally achieve anything, your aspirations didn't influence the result, you didn't personally gain any insight into what it takes more than any other football observer - and I would suggest that if you believe otherwise, it would only be due to a lack of real achievement in your own life. The only thing you get from a premiership over other supporters is the joy and satisfaction that comes with your club winning a flag. I say enjoy it while you've got and stop acting like your clubs achievement somehow reflects on you.

Show me in a post I've made where I suggested or acted like my clubs achievement reflected on me.

And they weren't my aspirations, they were the aspirations of our club and our supporters.
You don't think that makes any difference to results of a club, no problem, your experiences are you own.
Mine are different. As a club we have planned over successive generations to achieve certain things, off field and on, and managed to a fair degree to achieve them. Our club regularly announces those goals, 5-10 years out, and is willing to wear the public and supporter perceptions of whether we've managed to attain them or not.

You obviously did not understand or chose not to understand the very meaning of our club being a vote and night away from disappearing as it's own entity, as was experienced by the entire supporter base of the HFC.
And in 1996 at the Camberwell Civic Center, despite a push and the support of many Hawthorn past greats and board members of the time to merge with the Melbourne Footy club, the club members voted overwhelmingly against it.

So again, no, there would have been no premiership for the Hawthorn footy club last year, or Hodge as captain of this footy club, had I and many other members that night not voted.
If you think that's nothing, no problem.
I think it was the most important night in the history of the club, and I'm proud to have played just the smallest part in it.

Last edited:
Ugh... dude. You'd be well advised to LISTEN to what MK is saying. You look like an imbecile. Don't get me wrong, I DESPISE Carlton, but fans trying to imply their own football knowledge is somehow inflated by the success of the team they support.... does not float my friend.

Mate, pleeease reference where I've implied my knowledge is inflated by the success of my team.
Anywhere, just highlight and paste.

This is a forum, get it, it's opinions, of which you're happy enough to share a boatload of you own.
Don't go calling me an imbecile, your evaluation of what has been written is extraordinarily weak.

Sure we played crap early on but no injuries to speak of either during that time:rolleyes:. And I love the analogy of all 9 games were gifted to us. Sure whatever you reckon.

Both teams struggled with injury and poor game plans for the first half of the season. Winning nine games is impressive but a large part of that success came from the fact that you were playing weak/average or disinterested opposition. It was well known that Richmond were handed a easy draw well before the 2014 season commenced and that came into play late in the season like it did for North in 2012.

Mate, pleeease reference where I've implied my knowledge is inflated by the success of my team.
Anywhere, just highlight and paste.

Are you asking me to go trawling through posts to 'prove' dull smugness? Dear god....

This is a forum, get it, it's opinions, of which you're happy enough to share a boatload of you own.

Indeed I have, and will. Lots and lots and lots of them.

Don't go calling me an imbecile, your evaluation of what has been written is extraordinarily weak.

I didn't, I said you looked like an imbecile.

And I couldn't possibly explain how little your opinion on my 'evaluation' means to me. So much so, that immediately following this post, you went straight on the ignore list. It took a few years, but I realised the value of the ignore list in removing the dregs.

I would also add, commentators fans etc base their ladder predictions on out of date data. Some are relevant but a lot of the time teams improve/decline in a non linear fashion.

A lot of bias and guesswork comes into play as well.

It's impossible to tell how most individual players will go let alone entire teams.

Both teams struggled with injury and poor game plans for the first half of the season. Winning nine games is impressive but a large part of that success came from the fact that you were playing weak/average or disinterested opposition. It was well known that Richmond were handed a easy draw well before the 2014 season commenced and that came into play late in the season like it did for North in 2012.
I'm sure Carlton would have won their last 9 games too had they been handed Richmond's easy draw. They would have easily brushed aside:

Port Adelaide
West Coast in WA
Essendon
Adelaide in SA
Sydney away

I'm sure Carlton would have won their last 9 games too had they been handed Richmond's easy draw. They would have easily brushed aside:

Port Adelaide
West Coast in WA
Essendon
Adelaide in SA
Sydney away

Carlton had Freo(A), Hawthorn, Geelong 2x (ES), GC, Port (A), Essendon, Collingwood, Sydney etc in our run home.

Adelaide and WC were hardly world beaters, Port were terrible during their form slump and Sydney rested their best players.

How well would have Richmond done in our position?

Go Blues,
Think we'll go alright in 2015 - need a fit and healthy list for once haven't had one since 2011..then Gibbs and Kreuzer missed the finals in 2011.

B: Simpson Jamison Rowe
HB: Yarran Henderson Docherty
C: Thomas Gibbs Buckley
HF: Menzel Casboult Everitt
F: Walker Jaksch Jones
R: Kreuzer Judd Murphy
I: Carrazzo Tuohy, Cripps, Warnock
E: White Curnow Armfield
I'm sorry but that forward line is looking awful.

Carlton had Freo(A), Hawthorn, Geelong 2x (ES), GC, Port (A), Essendon, Collingwood, Sydney etc in our run home.

Adelaide and WC were hardly world beaters, Port were terrible during their form slump and Sydney rested their best players.

How well would have Richmond done in our position?
Don't know. Don't care. Was merely pointing out our run home wasn't as easy as you made out.

Show me in a post I've made where I suggested or acted like my clubs achievement reflected on me.

And they weren't my aspirations, they were the aspirations of our club and our supporters.
You don't think that makes any difference to results of a club, no problem, your experiences are you own.
Mine are different. As a club we have planned over successive generations to achieve certain things, off field and on, and managed to a fair degree to achieve them. Our club regularly announces those goals, 5-10 years out, and is willing to wear the public and supporter perceptions of whether we've managed to attain them or not.

You obviously did not understand or chose not to understand the very meaning of our club being a vote and night away from disappearing as it's own entity, as was experienced by the entire supporter base of the HFC.
And in 1996 at the Camberwell Civic Center, despite a push and the support of many Hawthorn past greats and board members of the time to merge with the Melbourne Footy club, the club members voted overwhelmingly against it.

So again, no, there would have been no premiership for the Hawthorn footy club last year, or Hodge as captain of this footy club, had I and many other members that night not voted.
If you think that's nothing, no problem.
I think it was the most important night in the history of the club, and I'm proud to have played just the smallest part in it.

Just thought it would be good to read this post again. What magnificent self importance. What a great self licking he has delivered. What a wank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I liked your 70's teams the best, especially the ones player/coached by the great Jesaulenko; Southby, Harmes, Doull, Johnston, Maclure, McKay.......super super players.

My Carlton mate tore his hair out while Ratten was coaching, certainly from the 2nd year in, because he couldn't make match day adjustments when players were getting beat.
I actually thought Ratts had some of your better team play with a pronounced mosquito fleet that could really run and gun. It was a style you could see and say, ok, that's Carlton and this is why they could beat anyone on any particular night - especially at night.

I just don't get what Mick is trying to do to be different, to have a winning style that maximizes the talent on his list?
I know he needs more talent to work with, but even at Collingwood he played a grind it out style by heading out wide and playing the boundary.......he really relied on some very talented players to win their positions substantially, and for the rest to give their very dying effort.

As a coach, for me he's just very......meh. Tough obviously, the ability to bend those around him to his will, but no great tactical vision.

MM has always been of the mind to minimise the risks, hence going the boundary route. We've yet to fully adapt to that style and it's probably why we play our best football when five or six goals down - the floodgates open and we just go for it which suits some of the more attacking players we have. Doing that all the time will not deliver a flag, as evidenced by Ratten's tenure.

I think he's trying to get the defensive structure right first, then once established he'll introduce a more balanced game style. Interestingly Yarran - the most damaging attacking player we have - had his best season in 2014.

He's working from the ground up with the group and trying to iron out many of the bad habits they have. From a avid Carlton perspective - despite being very poor at times - this is refreshing and cause for optimism. I feel we now have a direction and the foundations are building.

As much as it was cold( buy a coat) I loved watching footy there. Its like level 2 at the mcg/Etihad all around the ground.
It was like level 2 set 50m back. The incline of the seating was so shallow it felt you were a mile from the action. In contrast the newer stands and grounds rise at a much steeper angle giving that perched over the playing surface feel.

Waverly to me was always a shocking place to watch footy. Soulless and little atmosphere.

fans trying to imply their own football knowledge is somehow inflated by the success of the team they support.... does not float my friend.

Shame. IF it did work that way, Melbourne supporters would have been funny to watch in late 90's, early 2000.....

Would have gone from Einstein to Forrest Gump and back again year on year :)

You stated that Hawthorn supporters aspired to be more, while inferring that the supporter base to which the poster you were replying to belongs, didn't; and that somehow, this is reflected in each club's results. Being an exchange between two people and a rebuttal of sorts, this becomes a personal statement of contrast between yourself and the other poster.

Reality however, is that your aspirations, or that of your fellow supporters, or that of opposition club's supporters, has little to do with it. There is no difference. We all aspire for our club to be more and to lead the pack on and off the field. The only difference is that you're currently enjoying the satisfaction of having witnessed your team win a flag, while others aren't. But trying to make that about you by proxy of your supporter base, is as ridiculous as it is meaningless.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Time to move on.

Last edited:
It was like level 2 set 50m back. The incline of the seating was so shallow it felt you were a mile from the action. In contrast the newer stands and grounds rise at a much steeper angle giving that perched over the playing surface feel.

Waverly to me was always a shocking place to watch footy. Soulless and little atmosphere.

Having grown up a stones throw away from the ground I'd disagree with you.

Having grown up a stones throw away from the ground I'd disagree with you.
What did you think made Waverly a good ground to watch footy compared to say MCG or Etihad?

I don't know how can you can say that, because if it was just ordinary, you still have to pull it off. No other club in the history of the game has won 9 in a row to make finals since inception. We had to play essentially an elimination final every game in that time, to make it, so its just pure rhetoric to suggest it was easy and against poor teams.

No doubt new stands are much closer to the action, but I really liked watching footy at the place and am still an AFL(VFL) member now.

What did you think made Waverly a good ground to watch footy compared to say MCG or Etihad?

You can't seriously tell me that sitting in traffic for an hour and a half to get out of the joint wasn't the most fun you've ever had? Especially after a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back