Carlton Blues 2014 Offseason Thread

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, just went and looked. I'll be buggered. Thought it was quite possible he might seek greater opportunity at another club, didn't think he'd walk away.

Given it was a bit mystifying why he wasn't getting a go at times this year, I wonder whether this is a consequence of the whatever the issue was? Be it a lack of commitment to work hard enough to be an AFL player, or some kind of personal issue? Not trying to character assassin the guy, just saying it seemed really odd from outside the club that he wasn't playing, and this decision is also surprising.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, just went and looked. I'll be buggered. Thought it was quite possible he might seek greater opportunity at another club, didn't think he'd walk away.

Given it was a bit mystifying why he wasn't getting a go at times this year, I wonder whether this is a consequence of the whatever the issue was? Be it a lack of commitment to work hard enough to be an AFL player, or some kind of personal issue? Not trying to character assassin the guy, just saying it seemed really odd from outside the club that he wasn't playing, and this decision is also surprising.

Some people/players just can't handle full time professional sport. Plus he'd probably earn more with his job + local footy than being a rookie. Teams are paying players (esp. ex afl players) ALOT to play local footy these days.

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would have thought some VFL might want him on their list. Lots of non-AFL listed players in the VFL work a day job as well I think?

As you say, might be happy to get his footy fix with his mates running around at the local level and get on with developing his trade as a plumber.

Either way, good luck to him.

Edit: and at this point I'll stop talking about a retired Collingwood rookie in the Carlton off-season thread. ;)

Last edited:

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he's gone back to plumbing it isnt fear of hard work thats cause him to quit

True, but I didn't say he was unwilling to work hard at anything. Just that he apparently is unwilling to do the specific hard work required to be an AFL footballer. There are plenty of things I'm unwilling to work hard enough at to succeed, because I don't enjoy them enough and don't see them as necessary to have a happy life and support my family. Guessing for Kyle, he decided football fell into that category and there was an alternative he'd rather pursue.

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Source, will be done by Thursday. Fair enough for people not to believe me but just passing info I heard that is pretty rock solid.
oh wasn't having a dig just sounded like you had a source, a lot of people post with some authority and you ask and they don't know anything but just believe their logic makes it fact.

We were hoping to send garlett and pick 28 For pick 24 at the dees. Move us closer to the saints 2nd rounder in the trading for Jaksch. But if we are trading pick 28 (lets say) and 3rd rounder for Jonesy then we would need better later picks ie 4th upgrade and the 5th you mention.

Do you know anything about the Liam Jones trade or Cooney trade?

oh wasn't having a dig just sounded like you had a source, a lot of people post with some authority and you ask and they don't know anything but just believe their logic makes it fact.

We were hoping to send garlett and pick 28 For pick 24 at the dees. Move us closer to the saints 2nd rounder in the trading for Jaksch. But if we are trading pick 28 (lets say) and 3rd rounder for Jonesy then we would need better later picks ie 4th upgrade and the 5th you mention.

Do you know anything about the Liam Jones trade or Cooney trade?

Yeah I reckon the Garlett will be done by late Thursday. Haven't heard anything about Cooney besides that Age article but there has been rumblings for a while. Nothing against Carlton but I just don't see Cooney agreeing to join a side in a similar position to us, much more likely to join a team contending for a premiership in the next two years. But who knows, I reckon this trade period will start to get crazy next week.

Stevie Ray

Rookie
Oct 22, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm, QLD Reds, Qld Roar
I fail to see or haven't heard of why Carlton haven't made a play for Dangerfield.

I would offer the world (or pick 6/7 plus any of or all of the following; Garlett, Robinson, Warnock & Lucas).

Robinson would be a good fit for Adelaide if they lost Dangerfield (which they may likely do at the end of next year.

Dangerfield would solve soooo many issues at Carlton and we would get min 5 years solid grunt plus a probable Brownlow out of him.

Chasing also-rans like Saad, Howlett, Jones, Tutt etc just makes me shake my head wondering where the blue boys areheading.

If the Dangerfield play doesn't work then work hard on the Jaksch trade - he is worth it (all the above players plus second round pick 28).

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Jeff Garlett deal will be

Garlett to Melbourne for their 4th round pick and a swap of 5th round picks.
Nah they'll have to at least throw in their 12th round pick too.

Seriously, wtf is the point of swapping 5th rounders? Who's still going to be picking at that stage of the draft? Melbourne's 5th round pick will be around 76, but they'll pass. So will everyone else.
If, for whatever reason you've heard, Carlton want to stock up on draft picks in the 70+ range then they'd just use their 6th round pick at 77. And their 7th round pick at 78. And so on.

I fail to see or haven't heard of why Carlton haven't made a play for Dangerfield.

I would offer the world (or pick 6/7 plus any of or all of the following; Garlett, Robinson, Warnock & Lucas).
The bolded terms are not in any way related.

Stevie Ray

Rookie
Oct 22, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm, QLD Reds, Qld Roar
I would offer the world ( or pick 6/7 plus any or all of the following Garlett, Robinson, Warnock & Lucas).

Carlton don't have the world but what about throwing Kreuzer in the mix - Adelaide are looking for another ruckman.

While I am at it, Watson and Yarran can go a well - boy will that give the blues a lean playing list.

Back