Carlton Blues 2014 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So the general vibe re: the Jaksch trade seems to be..

Pick 7 + Pick 28 > GWS
Jono O'Rourke > HAW
Kristian Jaksch + Pick 19 + Pick 21 > CARL

The only other alternative I'd think would be..

Jeff Garlett + Pick 28 > MELB
Pick 23 > GWS
Kristian Jaksch > CARL

So the general vibe re: the Jaksch trade seems to be..

Pick 7 + Pick 28 > GWS
Jono O'Rourke > HAW
Kristian Jaksch + Pick 19 + Pick 21 > CARL

The only other alternative I'd think would be..

Jeff Garlett + Pick 28 > MELB
Pick 23 > GWS
Kristian Jaksch > CARL
would rather the second option, pick 7 will almost certainly yield a great player. pick 19 and 21... not as much security in those picks.

would rather the second option, pick 7 will almost certainly yield a great player. pick 19 and 21... not as much security in those picks.

I think you may be over-stating Carlton's ability to use pick 7 wisely.

May I point out the following : -

Josh Bootsma - pick 22 (2011)

Mathew Watson - pick 18 (2010 draft)

Kane Lucas - pick 12 (2009)

Chris Yarran - pick 6 (2008)

Troy Menzel (pick 11 2012) and Patrick Cripps (pick 13 2013) hopefully are a signs of better things but I am not holding my breath.

Troy Menzel (pick 11 2012) and Patrick Cripps (pick 13 2013) hopefully are a signs of better things but I am not holding my breath.

I think you just made an argument for Carlton using #7 better than they might use #19 and #21.

Having said that, different recruiting team, different coach, different strategies.

Why is Chris Yarran in this list?

Why is Chris Yarran in this list?

In my opinion I don't believe he has improved the Carlton side at all - I consider him a legacy.

If I remember correctly, I think his name was being thrown around last year as trade bait; wish it had happened.

In my opinion I don't believe he has improved the Carlton side at all - I consider him a legacy.

If I remember correctly, I think his name was being thrown around last year as trade bait; wish it had happened.

o_O MM has definitely improved him this season. His one-on-one work this season was better than anything I thought him capable of. Up until last season I would of almost agreed with you... almost. The guy is a jet and does not deserve to be lumped with the other first round duds. I do agree with you on how do you trust a club with draft picks; a club that picked Lucas over Talia?

o_O MM has definitely improved him this season. His one-on-one work this season was better than anything I thought him capable of. Up until last season I would of almost agreed with you... almost. The guy is a jet and does not deserve to be lumped with the other first round duds. I do agree with you on how do you trust a club with draft picks; a club that picked Lucas over Talia?

And passed on Fyfe #20 Freo, Bastinac #21 Roos, Carlisle #24 Bombers & Gunstan #29 Crows/Hawks

I thought Carlton traded really well last year for Thomas, Docherty and Everitt; I am just hoping against hope that Carlton don't waste this draft period chasing duds like Blease, Tapscott, Tutt, Cooney, Lyons, Hutchins, Saad etc etc etc. We need to build on last ears good work.

Not sure why you have listed a pick 22 and 18 that shows exactly why i wouldn't want those later picks. I will give you Lucas as he has not turned out like we would have hoped but Chris Yarran is fantastic player! Since Rogers has taken over as head recruitment manager in 2012 i have been much more confident with who we draft/trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why you have listed a pick 22 and 18 that shows exactly why i wouldn't want those later picks. I will give you Lucas as he has not turned out like we would have hoped but Chris Yarran is fantastic player! Since Rogers has taken over as head recruitment manager in 2012 i have been much more confident with who we draft/trade.

I listed #22 & #18 because they were Carlton's first picks in that years draft - it demonstrates the recruiting thinking by whom they selected.

Bootsma was just a very poor decision in my opinion and Watson has not shown anything to date.

I listed #22 & #18 because they were Carlton's first picks in that years draft - it demonstrates the recruiting thinking by whom they selected.

Bootsma was just a very poor decision in my opinion and Watson has not shown anything to date.

Bit rough on Watson, played well in the senior side in 2013 before he got injured. Started this year poorly but got moved forward in the second half of the year and performed well at VFL level, polished it off with 4 goals in the senior side in round 23.

I know our recruiting/drafting has been notoriously bad in the past however it's made me wonder whether it may just be our player development?

If say Watson, Lucas or probably not, but Bootsma had been picked up by a Hawthorn or Geelong if they'd be better players for it.

Whether that's down to coaching, lack of leadership or whatever, I'm not sure.

I can't shake the feeling that even our number 1 picks in Gibbs, Murph and Kruezer would be twice the players they currently are if they went to other teams. It seems for the past decade our club has been poison for any talent.

Yeah Chris Yarran and Troy Menzel are great examples of our rubbish drafting :rolleyes:

McKay on TWR:
- Jaksch + another player + Pick 19 looking the likely deal for Pick 7, should get done by early week two. Whiley in front of a few other players that have been offered by GWS as the second player in the deal.
- There's been interest from a couple of clubs regarding Warnock.
- McLean may not be offered new contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back