Carlton Blues 2014 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

McKay on TWR:
- Jaksch + another player + Pick 19 looking the likely deal for Pick 7, should get done by early week two. Whiley in front of a few other players that have been offered by GWS as the second player in the deal.
- There's been interest from a couple of clubs regarding Warnock.
- McLean may not be offered new contract.

Hmm screw the other player, more than likely to be no good. Pick 21 is what we should be fighting for.

The other player is a solid midfielder, good size and grunt, could be the replacement for Robbo. We get KJ the tall we need desperatly and with 19 we can pick a skillful outside speedy midfielder like Pickett or Garlett . Not too bad for pick 7.

Obvious Troll...Yarran was a great pick up and adds to the Team greatly .

I beg your pardon .......would you mind keeping your comments on topic rather than getting personal ...... I am entitled to my opinion.

Recent BF posters have mentioned that there may be a poor culture or a poor training regime at Carlton for the younger brigade ........ I am hoping MM has brought with him the excellent culture he developed at Collingwood where they unearthed some true junior talent in his time there e.g. Sidebottom, Beames, etc

I beg your pardon .......would you mind keeping your comments on topic rather than getting personal ...... I am entitled to my opinion.

Recent BF posters have mentioned that there may be a poor culture or a poor training regime at Carlton for the younger brigade ........ I am hoping MM has brought with him the excellent culture he developed at Collingwood where they unearthed some true junior talent in his time there e.g. Sidebottom, Beames, etc
Beg all you like ..only a troll or an idiot thinks Yarran doesn't improve our side .

Beg all you like ..only a troll or an idiot thinks Yarran doesn't improve our side .

You have missed the point entirely ............ the original argument was that Carlton have not used their first draft pick for players that fill positions that Carlton are in need.

I concede that Yarran is a good player but are Carlton better off with him or should we have selected from his draft one of the following from Ziebell, Zaharakis, Rich, Sidebottom, Beames, Ballantyne etc.

In 2008 Yarran was playing as an outside small; the above listed players were inside mids, hard tough & quick. The only one of those last 3 words I could use for Yarran is quick.

If you can have a sensible discussion rather than getting personal then please state your case.

You have missed the point entirely ............ the original argument was that Carlton have not used their first draft pick for players that fill positions that Carlton are in need.

Forget the original argument. You went on to say that Yarran hasn't improved the side at all and you wish he had been traded last year. That is what got you some blunt responses. You can't go back to your original argument when that statement you made is clearly incorrect and you are not backing it up, aside from saying it is your opinion.

Yarran has elite pace ... quickest on our list. He is a linebreaker. He gives our forwards opportunity because his run and carry has the opposition defence in two minds. He has x factor and drags supporters through the gates. 4th in our B&F. What more do you want?

I concede that Yarran is a good player but are Carlton better off with him or should we have selected from his draft one of the following from Ziebell, Zaharakis, Rich, Sidebottom, Beames, Ballantyne etc.

In 2008 Yarran was playing as an outside small; the above listed players were inside mids, hard tough & quick. The only one of those last 3 words I could use for Yarran is quick.

If you can have a sensible discussion rather than getting personal then please state your case.
What ODN said . You made a stupid illogical comment that you were pulled up on ..now you are attempting to deflect...and lamely i might add as Yarran stacks up against all the players you mentioned, simply because he adds something different, and exactly what we needed at the time .

Sounds like Giants' pick 21 has gone to Brisbane. I wonder what's holding up the Jaksch trade?

Possibly the second player, probably Whiley, being overseas and not having met with the Blues. He was a Blues supporter though and Judd is his idol ... may not need to do the meet and greet.

What ODN said . You made a stupid illogical comment that you were pulled up on ..now you are attempting to deflect...and lamely i might add as Yarran stacks up against all the players you mentioned, simply because he adds something different, and exactly what we needed at the time .

Boy you are a nasty bit of work ................ again I point out that the trade was a poor one; we didn't need an outside forward at the time - we needed a hard bodied mid that could get the ball and feed to outside or run with it himself e.g any of my previous mentioned players from Yarran's draft.

Calton have been and are still looking for solid hard mids and KPP's - outside flankers are dime a dozen

Boy you are a nasty bit of work ................ again I point out that the trade was a poor one; we didn't need an outside forward at the time - we needed a hard bodied mid that could get the ball and feed to outside or run with it himself e.g any of my previous mentioned players from Yarran's draft.

Calton have been and are still looking for solid hard mids and KPP's - outside flankers are dime a dozen
At the time Carlton's on ball brigade was considered amongst the best in the competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohhhh i'm sooo nasty ..i often scare little kids , Yes players like Yarran are a dime a dozen lol

Ohhhh i'm sooo nasty ..i often scare little kids , Yes players like Yarran are a dime a dozen lol

Oh touché, what witty repartee - after 25,000 posts (that's an average 8 posts per day-you do have a job don't you) that is all you've got.

You just don't get it - sides like Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong have built a strong midfield and their ladder position shows the value (I wouldn't be surprised if you accept 13th place as a good result) - Juddy, Brock and co are on their last legs and need help desperately. Carlton could have had a top midfielder 6 years ago but we took Yarran instead and now Carlton are paying for it big time. Hopefully Cripps is the saviour but it won't be Yarran.

Hopefully if the Carlton brains trust have traded for a good KPP up forward then Hendo can move back again and with Walker fit next year Yarran will need to play forward or on the ball - I hope his difference improves the side.

Oh touché, what witty repartee - after 25,000 posts (that's an average 8 posts per day-you do have a job don't you) that is all you've got.
Thank you for your interest in my posting and my employment...i am actually employed by Chief as a resident troll eradicator ..but that's all hush hush so keep it to yourself .
I think we need to trade Yarran for a Luke Ball, Brock M'clean type player ..we can never have too many of those types , and Pace and Skill is overrated IMO . As for Hawthorn and geelong, the sooner they cut loose Rioli, and Motlop they will be a much better side .

Thank you for your interest in my posting and my employment...i am actually employed by Chief as a resident troll eradicator ..but that's all hush hush so keep it to yourself .
I think we need to trade Yarran for a Luke Ball, Brock M'clean type player ..we can never have too many of those types , and Pace and Skill is overrated IMO . As for Hawthorn and geelong, the sooner they cut loose Rioli, and Motlop they will be a much better side .

Hallelujah, you've posted without throwing abuse at someone whose opinion differs from yours.

But now you are being silly; the players I said we should have drafted instead of Yarran (Ziebell Zaharakis Rich Sidebottom Beames or Ballantyne) are not Ball/McLean types but are hard and quick with the same ball skills as Yarran.

You are being even sillier by suggesting that Rioli and Motlop are only as good as Yarran - if either of those two were at Carlton the side would be greatly improved.

Yarran doesn't get to work in the middle because he isn't hard enough and he is as loose as my grannies undies as a backman, plus he misses too many crucial shots on goal - he might kick a few but it's the ones that really count that he misses e.g like Gibbsy in that last drawn match against Essendon.

Have a nice day

In what universe are Ziebel, Sidebottom and Rich quick? Ziebel was supposed to take the next step this year and couldn't beat Levi in the NM b&f and they didn't rate Levi highly enough to retain him. Rich hardly improved from his first season. Sidebottom lives on the outside. Not an inside mid.

Some great hindsight recruiting comparing Yazz to the couple of 2nd and 3rd rounder that came good from that draft. Saying Carlton should have recruited a mature aged undersized WAFL player with pick 6 is a joke. Not one AFL recruiter would have made that pick.

In what universe are Ziebel, Sidebottom and Rich quick? Ziebel was supposed to take the next step this year and couldn't beat Levi in the NM b&f and they didn't rate Levi highly enough to retain him. Rich hardly improved from his first season. Sidebottom lives on the outside. Not an inside mid.

Some great hindsight recruiting comparing Yazz to the couple of 2nd and 3rd rounder that came good from that draft. Saying Carlton should have recruited a mature aged undersized WAFL player with pick 6 is a joke. Not one AFL recruiter would have made that pick.
Stop being so bloody Nasty ;)

Possibly the second player, probably Whiley, being overseas and not having met with the Blues. He was a Blues supporter though and Judd is his idol ... may not need to do the meet and greet.
Looks like Whiley has given the ok to be traded ..so hopefully the deal gets done in the next Day or so .

Last edited:
This is a great deal for Carlton, the last two years we have show that we have learnt, a good inside midfielder, a tall utility, and P19, a very good deal indeed. Now with the Doggies playing hard ball, it's time we sent Jones into the PSD.

We have done well with Mick on the trade table. Hopefully his mantra rubs off in future. Unfortunately its like five years too late but then again better late than never.

Will Tutt join Carlton today?

McKay said Ellard, Mclean, Lucas and Robinson are uncontracted. See Mclean and Lucas staying with Tutt possibly having more upside than Ellard. Could see him filling a role as a defensive small forward and mid like Puopolo.

Don't see Lucas moving if another club and Carlton both offer him a one year deal.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mclean hangs on ahead of Robinson due to his work ethic and leadership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back