Mod. Notice Carlton Board Questions & Suggestions

If you have any questions regarding forum rules, have a suggestion for the best way to present threads or handle content, or just have an idea to improve your forum experience, please post it here.

We can't guarantee we will action all ideas as others are sure to want to do things a different way and we will have to take all views into account. We can guarantee you will get a response however. If the thread moves fast and you don't get a response, please tag one of us and requote.

Please steer clear of singling out posters you have a problem with (you can PM these things) but take this as an opportunity to have a say in the way your forum works.

Derailing jokes, non-constructive or hostile stuff will be removed just to maintain a spirit of cooperation.

Cheers

Just a few of the top of my head, ODN:

The sub board (Northern Blues & Players) gets largely ignored and doesn't have a lot of visibility about it, other than with the regulars.
Some other boards incorporate such threads on their main board but I guess there are plenty of Pros and Cons for doing so.
Without knowing what's possible in respect to the format of the board, it's hard to confidently recommend a solution.

Can Mods please give merging threads a little more (less) thought.
Nothing we haven't covered before but a topic has more life as a stand-alone than mixed with topics of coffee, dad jokes and dating requests. :)

Would be good to have thread where opposition supporters are welcome and can say whatever they want to say (to a point) without having concerns of being banned.
Sort of like a banter thread but a "Do not enter sign" for Carlton supporters who take things to heart, too readily.

Oh..........Something else.

Is there any way that locked threads can have a different look to them or at least a separation of sorts?
Only a minor thing but I always have to scan where the real/current threads start.

We can put it on a list. Considering locked threads would sink pretty quickly, it might be considered a minor aesthetic thing. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

The sub board (Northern Blues & Players) gets largely ignored and doesn't have a lot of visibility about it, other than with the regulars.

Some other boards incorporate such threads on their main board but I guess there are plenty of Pros and Cons for doing so.
Without knowing what's possible in respect to the format of the board, it's hard to confidently recommend a solution.

I've seen this. The Essendon board have player threads on their main board and they update the titles regularly to something relevant to what that player is doing at the time.

I'm torn between posting updates about player contracts, injuries, media stories etc and general discussion. Like we could keep the player board and then merge threads about that player into the player threads when they die down. I'm not sure we would want 50 pages of discussion about what a dud that player is, if we are keeping a historical record of past players, if you know what I mean.

Can Mods please give merging threads a little more (less) thought.
Nothing we haven't covered before but a topic has more life as a stand-alone than mixed with topics of coffee, dad jokes and dating requests. :)

Rumours are a difficult one. If every rumour, genuine or made up gets its own thread, we are going to look tabloid pretty quickly. I recently saw two Sam Rowe threads sitting together on the main Carlton board, each with a life of their own, started at different times. Merging them may cause loss of context but then it looked a little sloppy having two threads there.

To merge or not to merge, that is the question and its one we struggle with. 4 mods, probably 4 different levels of OCD in dealing with them, and that's not taking into account how many different posters opinions we might have on a case by case basis. I'd love to get a consensus on this.

As for the chit chat in these threads, again it's a fine line. A humorous response to something in the thread, should stay but then you get the break off conversation along the same theme and it goes on too long. I don't want to enforce a blanket 'keep it all in the Blue Room' rule because it takes personality out of the place, but I do acknowledge some becomes tedious. I also don't want to be the arbiter of what is funny and remove everything I find ho hum.

I acknowledge this problem and this is another I want people to have input into as we have fielded feedback both ways on it.

Would be good to have thread where opposition supporters are welcome and can say whatever they want to say (to a point) without having concerns of being banned.

Sort of like a banter thread but a "Do not enter sign" for Carlton supporters who take things to heart, too readily.

As you say, the banter threads were like this. We did one for a couple of teams at different times and we did a xmas one. Some don't like it and think the Bay exists for this reason but there are a lot who do like it and that holds weight.

A few years back I started threads about controversial topics regarding Carlton ... presidents, culture, tanking, salary cap cheating etc, and invited opposition supporters to talk about these topics on our board. Not bay style but genuine reasoned discussion in which they were allowed to be critical, allowed to put forth their views on us so could have open honest discourse. I still like this idea.

So we have opposition threads on our board, some extremely relaxed rules, some with rules of respect but free to tell their truth as they see it, and every else on our terms.

We would have to make it clear to our own posters that they can't get offended and abuse people in these threads.

Only my observation ODN and others may disagree.

Guess I don't generally scour through the locks and would sooner be straight into active topics.

We talking locks or stickied threads Harks? We carry around 6 stickies most of the time. There may only be a couple of locked match threads around though.

I do find that threads we sticky that we want noticed do get glossed over as we do tend to look for the first non-sticky thread. I don't want to make some of these easier to scan over but for permanent stickied threads, it seems a good idea. Rules threads, reference threads etc.

Podcast threads, Poster of the Month threads, I would want to stand out from the other stickies.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
A few years back I started threads about controversial topics regarding Carlton ... presidents, culture, tanking, salary cap cheating etc, and invited opposition supporters to talk about these topics on our board. Not bay style but genuine reasoned discussion in which they were allowed to be critical, allowed to put forth their views on us so could have open honest discourse. I still like this idea.

So we have opposition threads on our board, some extremely relaxed rules, some with rules of respect but free to tell their truth as they see it, and every else on our terms.

We would have to make it clear to our own posters that they can't get offended and abuse people in these threads.

Sorry ODN, I snipped a bit so I wasn't quoting the whole message.

I like the idea of welcoming opposition supporters in to have reasoned discussion about various topics like you've described above. Sometimes they come on and post and get shouted down for no reason other than the team that's listed under their username. I'm fully aware that others come on simply to troll, but the reasonable ones should be encouraged in my opinion. It's nice to have different perspectives on things sometimes.

Sorry ODN, I snipped a bit so I wasn't quoting the whole message.

I like the idea of welcoming opposition supporters in to have reasoned discussion about various topics like you've described above. Sometimes they come on and post and get shouted down for no reason other than the team that's listed under their username. I'm fully aware that others come on simply to troll, but the reasonable ones should be encouraged in my opinion. It's nice to have different perspectives on things sometimes.

I like the idea of reintroducing hot topics or Carlton stereotypes so supporter bases can understand each other better.

I haven't noticed too many reasonable posts get shouted down. I'm not a fan of our posters being asses just because they can. I tend to delete them unless provoked. Some opposition views might be critical or slightly disrespectful i.e Mick made a mistake bringing Daisy across, he's not worth the money, he will never be fit enough, you guys will never win a flag with him etc etc. On a Carlton board, having read those opinions all over the site, you can understand the locals not wanting to have people throw these things up all the time. Same as you don't want opposition posters doubting the quality or heart of our players on our board. It still has to be a safe haven for our posters.

Funnel those opinions into a dedicated thread though ... fair game.

Maybe a generic Carlton player discussion thread .... opposition opinions welcome. Only rules are the same as for our posters ... no spuds, duds, silly people, general insults. Be critical, explain your logic.

Sorry, I meant stickied threads.

On a phone at least, you always have to scroll past the pins to get to the active topics.
If there was a little separation, it would just make it easier to get straight into things.

I'd like to see the permanent stickies with a different colour background or at least text. Maybe temporarily stickies first in the same colour as the rest of the board, then the different colour permanents, then the normal threads. We get 3 levels of separation but the temporary stickies we want you to keep looking for will still capture the eye if you so desire, or you can move beneath the colour for latest threads.

Hey ODN, as a sporadic poster who mainly likes the lighter side of footy but genuinely loves the Blues board and it's posters could we have a 'soapbox' thread where you can basically go in and get anything you want off your chest? This would really help me.

Hey ODN, as a sporadic poster who mainly likes the lighter side of footy but genuinely loves the Blues board and it's posters could we have a 'soapbox' thread where you can basically go in and get anything you want off your chest? This would really help me.

Like a permanent rant thread ... or a therapy rant thread?

We have ShanDog shouts on the podcast ... maybe a thread titled 'Your Shout' where you can vent about all things footy related and not have to wait for rant threads after games?

P.S. The Old Dark Navy's ...

I just wanted to say that anything I post in here is meant with good intentions. I think all of you moderators do a bang up job, and one that is largely thankless.
So thanks for giving us the opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions :)

Absolutely. I'm happy to field critical opinions and questions from people too though. It's a little bit of open discourse, just without getting personal or nasty.

Problems and solutions. In the workplace, it's actually a law that workers must be consulted on proposed changes. This is just an extension of that.

Like a permanent rant thread ... or a therapy rant thread?

We have ShanDog shouts on the podcast ... maybe a thread titled 'Your Shout' where you can vent about all things footy related and not have to wait for rant threads after games?

Or even more irreverent than that, could be a place to post memories of days gone by, images of old school players, an opportunity for me to continue my long therapy session about the day we recruited Ricky Mott. I guess a thread that can help people like me from derailing threads with crap that gets off topic.

Okay, I will let myself out.....

Or even more irreverent than that, could be a place to post memories of days gone by, images of old school players, an opportunity for me to continue my long therapy session about the day we recruited Ricky Mott. I guess a thread that can help people like me from derailing threads with crap that gets off topic.

Okay, I will let myself out.....

So we have an AFL general discussion thread. You want a Carlton general discussion thread? We could do that. Wouldn't sticky it though. I imagine it would stay up the top anyway.

Bombers board have a thread for stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Just a few of the top of my head, ODN:

Maybe we could have game day threads for each Northern Blues game on the Carlton board then when it's run it's course move it into the NB mega-thread.

Could do the same with the welcome to Carlton threads after their drafted or toast threads after a player has a break out game, once they've settled down move them into the player threads on that board.

So we have an AFL general discussion thread. You want a Carlton general discussion thread? We could do that. Wouldn't sticky it though. I imagine it would stay up the top anyway.

Bombers board have a thread for stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread.

I would have thought most things about the Bombers does not deserve it's own thread!

I reckon what you have suggested would be good, I may break a posting record in there too!

Thanks ODN, you are the best moderator on the Blues board with a username ODN! :) :thumbsu:

Maybe we could have game day threads for each Northern Blues game on the Carlton board then when it's run it's course move it into the NB mega-thread.

This is a good idea. Only takes one extra thread per week. Any VFL watchers can start these threads and we can go in afterwards and merge them. I find it very difficult to keep up with the VFL in the mega thread. I would have preferred it had its own forum but there isn't enough content and justifying a sub forum each for players and the VFL was pushing it.

Could do the same with the welcome to Carlton threads after their drafted or toast threads after a player has a break out game, once they've settled down move them into the player threads on that board.

That's the idea. It's just the timing in merging them together. Some player threads on the main board go on for ages and are full of criticism as well and merging them could bulk out the player threads too much. The Welcome threads for sure although we do post in both threads when someone signs with us. I guess the threads are for us, not the players themselves so positive and negative stuff could travel together ... a living history of their Carlton journey warts and all.

Thanks ODN, you are the best moderator on the Blues board with a username ODN! :) :thumbsu:

But ... my name is The Old Dark Navy's. I don't know how to take this.

Anyway, your request is approved.

But ... my name is The Old Dark Navy's. I don't know how to take this.

Anyway, your request is approved.

Good point ODN, further proof you are an enigma!

Shocking weather day in Sydney and a last minute cancelled appointment means I am spending a huge amount of time in the Qantas Club. I am ashamed to say I have broken a food eating record in here.....cue the sick bag for the flight home!!

I'm happy to fire up the NB thread but happier if someone else wants to do it religiously.

I'll wait for the green light first.

Green-Light.jpg

Perhaps a Bay 13 style banter thread, where it is less moderated and people can vent with a little more freedom.

Perhaps a Bay 13 style banter thread, where it is less moderated and people can vent with a little more freedom.

Yeah but I would like it to be Carlton supporters only. I don't really want any Freo supporters photo bombing it especially if I am calling Ryan Crowley a campaigner!

Are we talking Carlton venting, opposition venting, player abuse? What sort of freedom? As far as I can tell, almost everything is fair game on the Bay. If it is for everyone and anything goes, why wouldn't they just post it on the Bay?

Back