Mod. Notice Carlton Board Questions & Suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

As an old hand with online fora but a relative newbie here I have to say that we're a pretty reasonable bunch here. Most posters are civil and considerate, and we have very few of the ubiquitous keyboard warriors who can sap the enjoyment out of the community that a lot of people have obvious worked very hard on developing. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

We have a tendency to go offtopic and cross-pollinate threads, and can be a little too reflexively harsh on opposition posters at times but the mods do a pretty good job of keeping flaming, trolling and distractions in check.

On mods, I think transparency and communication are key to maintaining a strong relationship with users. To this end, it would be helpful if users received notification when posts are edited in any way. Not only would we then have an idea of why our posts were considered unacceptable but having to articulate a justification for removing another's opinion tempers the desire for mods to excise posts in large batches. If a mod feels that a thread has gone wildly off topic them a well worded post or two always be the first action.

It would also be awesome if we could do something about the Rumour thread. So many of the posts - mine included - belong either in the general discussion, trade or draft threads. Perhaps notify users that the Rumour thread will be more strictly regulated than other threads? And yes, I see the irony of that last sentence ;)

Anyhoo, that's my 2-bob. Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to keeping this a great place to hang out with fellow navy blue bloods!

On mods, I think transparency and communication are key to maintaining a strong relationship with users. To this end, it would be helpful if users received notification when posts are edited in any way. Not only would we then have an idea of why our posts were considered unacceptable but having to articulate a justification for removing another's opinion tempers the desire for mods to excise posts in large batches. If a mod feels that a thread has gone wildly off topic them a well worded post or two always be the first action.

Ive been using forums for quite a while, and never have I been ignored by a moderator when I have PMed a mod as to why my post was edited/removed/infracted.

Not that I've ever asked the Carlton board mods, but I have with other moderators on other boards here on BigFooty. Speaking as someone who has moderated before on other sites, its generally in your best interest to answer your PMs as it helps prevent a further mess to clean up later, and less revolts about censureship which screw up the continuity of discussions.

Agree 100%. It's the posts you don't realise have been deleted that I was speaking about. As there's no system in place to notify you when a post is deleted how can you PM a mod if you care to know why it was removed?

not sure if it has been mentioned nor can I find a likely thread but if there was a 'How to ' style thread for new posters or inexperienced posters.
With such gems as "how to PM" etc.

The easy way is to just get on the nerves of a fragile opposition supporter, you will pretty quickly get a PM and just by replying should be able to work it out from there! :D

Agree 100%. It's the posts you don't realise have been deleted that I was speaking about. As there's no system in place to notify you when a post is deleted how can you PM a mod if you care to know why it was removed?

There's a saying about trees falling in the forest that might apply here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fear we are falling behind. Other Club boards Haw, Freo, Port, ess*, and WC all have fancy wall paper backing the forum while we still have grey. Is there some web intermajet person that can snazz up the place?

The question was asked of admin at one point. Will have to follow up. Just waiting to get a list of stuff together once the other feedback period has elapsed.

Just sayin…

The banter threads before last year's EF (here and on the Tigs board) were the most fun I've ever had on BF…

We should get more of that caper going. In essence, this requires all and sundry to approach/take things in good humour, so in reality I'm probably just heaping more work on the mods, which means I'm probably going to be given a holiday.

Cheerio then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back