Analysis Carlton Football Club Off Field - Opinion, Analysis and News

Remove this Banner Ad

ODN and I have tried getting in touch with them regarding the podcast and haven't heard diddly squat back. Not even a token response.

Not surprising. I've tried putting myself out there with my photos in the past. Nothing also.

The club needs to admit it is in a full blown crisis on and off the field.

We are currently a s**t truck, that's on fire, with no brakes, a jammed accelerator and heading down a 75 deg incline towards a 200m ravine.

M L LoSaprano is behind the wheel telling every one " we've got this" at the same time as drinking a short double espresso from a cup and sauce balanced in his lap.

*SNIP

Last edited by a moderator:

We are currently a s**t truck, that's on fire, with no brakes, a jammed accelerator and heading down a 75 deg incline towards a 200m ravine.

M L LoSaprano is behind the wheel telling every one " we've got this" at the same time as drinking a short double espresso from a cup and sauce balanced in his lap.
Really?

Points for creativity if nothing else...

LOL s**t truck.

I have been trying to spot the devil in the detail, in the hope of convincing myself that the club are run by geniuses who have a brilliant grand plan.

I find it interesting the club come out after just a couple games and declard we are rebuilding. Two games is very early to be doing that. Are Trigg & Co merely stupid (I mean you don't have to be Einstein to see the announcement has affected the players) or is the suspiciously timed announcement part of a bigger plan that was hatched in 2014 (or even earlier)?

Reason I ponder this is not only have we turned the list over substantially in just two off seasons but we've also got rid of (for use of a better word) experienced and talented players Betts, Garlett and Waite. Now before you say "yeah but we also go Thomas" let me say my theory is the Grand Plan involves not just a youth focus but also a focus on character, and we all know Dale is an extrovert with a rep for hard running and the club arguably needed someone with his attitude (granted not with his injuries but I think there he has been unlucky).

Waite we know was a flimsy footballer and anyone whose watched the Blues a lot knows Garlett is one of the softest players to don the Blues jumper. And Betts, well, my view on him is as good a player as he is I have always felt he goes missing in big games. And in any event he might be the exception to the rule anyhow as word is he wanted to leave for family reasons and in the end we got Thomas for him so it was affectively a swap. But Jeff & Jarrod we just lost. Yes we wanted a return but I don't think we ever expected to get much for JW and in the end we got a dodgy picky for JG. So it's as if we were happy to part with these two, perhaps to free up cap space so in future years we can lure FAs who have the right attitude. The Cripps type of attitude. If anyone is under any illusions I remind you there was a lot of conjecture at the time about Mick arguably being happy to lose JW. Certainly Jarrod painted that picture.

The biggest hole in my theory is if the grand plan is true then surely Mick was part of the plan, hell he could well be the ringleader, and yet here we stand with talk of Mick being dead man walking. It would make more sense if Mick was to stay on as coach and oversee the rebuild, a rebuild that has as its key planks Youth and Character.

If my theory is correct then it might also stand to reason a player whose been the focus of much debate over his hardness etc (Gibbs) will be put on the trade table. Or maybe a talented but inconsistent player (Yarran) is offered for trade. Did we always plan to lose JW, JG, BG and/or CY?

There was a big Rumour about a year ago that Mick fairly early on in his tenure at Carlton approached the board and told them in no uncertain terms that the list was a pile of dog poo. Did he say we need to clean it out and get kids but also address the lack of character inherent in the playing list, and this has led to the removal of JW and JG and maybe also in the future a BG type? God we also got rid of Mitch - he was tough but undisciplined and a poor kick.

Is there a grand plan or do the club just make it up on a daily basis? I suspect there may be a grand plan as I suspect Mick is someone who doesn't mess about when it comes to rebuilding lists. He knows the type of attitude in a player that delivers success. There won't be any half measures with Mick.

We can only hope that this is all part of a grand plan. Sure they'll be pain ST but maybe just maybe the club know what they're doing and the wholesale and drastic changes are in fact necessary to get this thing right !!!

Maybe then the post R2 announcement was on purpose? To get other clubs thinking about a Gibbs. Dare I say it but maybe there's an element of Tttttttank....

Last edited:
Nice post 1981 but everything the club has done for the last 10 years stinks, we live for the quick fix even though it has been proved that there is no such thing, but yet we continue to do it. We aren't smart or anything close to it, there is no grand plan. We are like the three stooges, the board say we are rebuilding 2 games into the season and Malthose says something else. If the players had any pride they would have put up more than that disgraceful performances last Friday night, I am sick of giving them chances after chances.

ODN and I have tried getting in touch with them regarding the podcast and haven't heard diddly squat back. Not even a token response.

If we were doing a bit better this year I wouldn't have minded coming on.

Was this around the time of board elections?

Pardon my cynicism but that's when board members used to turn up on other sites.

Your not the only person who was cynical about his intentions. From memory he posted on here when the campaign for re-election was in full force and soon after being re-elected to the board he disappeared after a period of being quite active both here and on other online platforms. There was some talk on here that the club put a stop to him being on here, but I have my doubts whether that was true. He ran a very slick campaign and like most parties in campaign mode, once they've got your vote they go missing until it's election time again.

From his time on here, it was clear that he was a very impressive person and businessman, but what did he know about footy? Not much for mine. He seemed to genuinely think we could win 4 premierships by 2020 and when asked who his favorite past players were, he ummed and arred and struggled to name names.

While there is no doubting the business acumen of those on our board and I'm very thankful that they volunteer their time and effort for our club, what do they know about footy? Do they live it and breath it like we on Bigfooty do? how many of them watch 9 games a week? Apart from MLG - Do any of them watch our VFL team? Do they follow the draft? If they know little about footy (which I suspect may be true), why should we trust them to hire/fire coaches? How are they supposed to evaluate the performance of our recruiting and development staff?

Your not the only person who was cynical about his intentions. From memory he posted on here when the campaign for re-election was in full force and soon after being re-elected to the board he disappeared after a period of being quite active both here and on other online platforms. There was some talk on here that the club put a stop to him being on here, but I have my doubts whether that was true. He ran a very slick campaign and like most parties in campaign mode, once they've got your vote they go missing until it's election time again.

From his time on here, it was clear that he was a very impressive person and businessman, but what did he know about footy? Not much for mine. He seemed to genuinely think we could win 4 premierships by 2020 and when asked who his favorite past players were, he ummed and arred and struggled to name names.

While there is no doubting the business acumen of those on our board and I'm very thankful that they volunteer their time and effort for our club, what do they know about footy? Do they live it and breath it like we on Bigfooty do? how many of them watch 9 games a week? Apart from MLG - Do any of them watch our VFL team? Do they follow the draft? If they know little about footy (which I suspect may be true), why should we trust them to hire/fire coaches? How are they supposed to evaluate the performance of our recruiting and development staff?

They have money and believe supporters are just s**t eaters to be taken to the cleaners every pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chalk one up for the club. We have heard back from them after an approach mid April.

Forgive the cut and paste from the podcast thread but this is an appropriate place for this.

We will be given access to a young player every month, either as a guest on our podcast or as a separate interview for a podcast 'extra' as the main board podcast does from time to time.

This reflects very well on the club. It is something I don't believe they have done before to this extent, going outside the mainstream AFL recorded media. We've been crying out for access, to feel at one with the club and this goes a long way to show that they are serious about connecting with the supporters.

We'll let you know which players are up and canvass for ideas of which questions to ask. We will keep it respectful though. It's too good an opportunity to use it to push agendas.

Excited!

I have been trying to spot the devil in the detail, in the hope of convincing myself that the club are run by geniuses who have a brilliant grand plan.

I find it interesting the club come out after just a couple games and declard we are rebuilding. Two games is very early to be doing that. Are Trigg & Co merely stupid (I mean you don't have to be Einstein to see the announcement has affected the players) or is the suspiciously timed announcement part of a bigger plan that was hatched in 2014 (or even earlier)?

Reason I ponder this is not only have we turned the list over substantially in just two off seasons but we've also got rid of (for use of a better word) experienced and talented players Betts, Garlett and Waite. Now before you say "yeah but we also go Thomas" let me say my theory is the Grand Plan involves not just a youth focus but also a focus on character, and we all know Dale is an extrovert with a rep for hard running and the club arguably needed someone with his attitude (granted not with his injuries but I think there he has been unlucky).

Waite we know was a flimsy footballer and anyone whose watched the Blues a lot knows Garlett is one of the softest players to don the Blues jumper. And Betts, well, my view on him is as good a player as he is I have always felt he goes missing in big games. And in any event he might be the exception to the rule anyhow as word is he wanted to leave for family reasons and in the end we got Thomas for him so it was affectively a swap. But Jeff & Jarrod we just lost. Yes we wanted a return but I don't think we ever expected to get much for JW and in the end we got a dodgy picky for JG. So it's as if we were happy to part with these two, perhaps to free up cap space so in future years we can lure FAs who have the right attitude. The Cripps type of attitude. If anyone is under any illusions I remind you there was a lot of conjecture at the time about Mick arguably being happy to lose JW. Certainly Jarrod painted that picture.

The biggest hole in my theory is if the grand plan is true then surely Mick was part of the plan, hell he could well be the ringleader, and yet here we stand with talk of Mick being dead man walking. It would make more sense if Mick was to stay on as coach and oversee the rebuild, a rebuild that has as its key planks Youth and Character.

If my theory is correct then it might also stand to reason a player whose been the focus of much debate over his hardness etc (Gibbs) will be put on the trade table. Or maybe a talented but inconsistent player (Yarran) is offered for trade. Did we always plan to lose JW, JG, BG and/or CY?

There was a big Rumour about a year ago that Mick fairly early on in his tenure at Carlton approached the board and told them in no uncertain terms that the list was a pile of dog poo. Did he say we need to clean it out and get kids but also address the lack of character inherent in the playing list, and this has led to the removal of JW and JG and maybe also in the future a BG type? God we also got rid of Mitch - he was tough but undisciplined and a poor kick.

Is there a grand plan or do the club just make it up on a daily basis? I suspect there may be a grand plan as I suspect Mick is someone who doesn't mess about when it comes to rebuilding lists. He knows the type of attitude in a player that delivers success. There won't be any half measures with Mick.

We can only hope that this is all part of a grand plan. Sure they'll be pain ST but maybe just maybe the club know what they're doing and the wholesale and drastic changes are in fact necessary to get this thing right !!!

Maybe then the post R2 announcement was on purpose? To get other clubs thinking about a Gibbs. Dare I say it but maybe there's an element of Tttttttank....

By announcing the rebuild, it's been a good way to see the strength of mind and character in the team... The players that can play knowing there may be a target on their back, and the ones who can't. Perhaps it's a strategy to weed out the weak of mind...

Personally I see it as a reaction to the losses to try and appease member backlash after being sold big expectations...

This reflects very well on the club. It is something I don't believe they have done before to this extent, going outside the mainstream AFL recorded media. We've been crying out for access, to feel at one with the club and this goes a long way to show that they are serious about connecting with the supporters.

Congrats, ODN. I'm glad that the club appear ready to change their ways and are taking proactive steps in that direction.

Edit: Fixed.

Congrats, Aph. I'm glad that the club appear ready to change their ways and are taking proactive steps in that direction.

Aphrodite, we need to appear in the same thread at the same time to prove we are different people.

Chalk one up for the club. We have heard back from them after an approach mid April.

Forgive the cut and paste from the podcast thread but this is an appropriate place for this.

We will be given access to a young player every month, either as a guest on our podcast or as a separate interview for a podcast 'extra' as the main board podcast does from time to time.

Congrats. Club has a heart.

Put me down for the podcast involving Aaron Joseph thanks.

I think that's a good idea

Who'd want to be confused with Aph seriously ??

I wouldn't mind. I mean she has stunning dress sense and tons of class .... it's just that I have so little that I don't want her stealing those little tidbits of credit I scrape together for myself. :)

Guys not sure if you're aware but there's currently a Q&A with the Members Council on the website.
This is what I wrote:

Hi guys. Thanks for your time, however I think these sorts of things would be much more effective if people had more than 15 minutes notice. There is a strong feeling among supporters and members that the club is disconnected from us and doesn't respect us like other clubs respect their members. Perhaps a bit more honesty about our performances, fewer mixed messages (from the coach vs the board, etc) and truth about our injury list (Sheehan has been listed as 1-2 weeks for about 5 weeks now) would go a long way to breaking down those perceptions.

Members Council:
Hi [redacted]. We agree that there certainly has been a disconnect in the past between the Club and members - hence the formation of the Member Council to bridge that gap. In your opinion, apart from on-field performances, how can the Club better connect with fans?

Me:
Thanks for your answer. The difficulty is that it feels like the club is trying but they constantly fall short. Intraclubs are organised for weekdays at 4pm when workers can't get there, the family day was split into two and put on at 2 times that are inappropriate for workers and parents alike, the 2 for 1 mothers day ticket deal wasn't available at the gate (which REALLY irritated several people I know of who only went to take advantage of the deal) etc. I feel like we're fed empty rhetoric from the club (Mick calling Brisbane a "very good side" was laughable) and treated like we're a bit stupid, really. Merchandise options available with the members packs run out, emails and tweets go unresponded to, it's like we're talking to a brick wall. The Members Council is a good start, but again, it was only advertised 15 minutes before it started.

MC:
We're definitely taking your feedback, [redacted]. We're here to listen. We're members just like you, so we want to see the Club improve in all facets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back