News Carlton guernsey monogram change? Club to put vote to members on 15 October

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephen Kernahan made it very clear on AFL360 he was a fan of the old monogram, and said that fans have been campaigning for it to come back on the jumper.

A possible change would be backed up by this thread on the Carlton board suggesting the change is already done (yet to be revealed). http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-onfield-jumper-club-logo.1064873/

Thoughts on this FJGDB?

From the Carlton thread

Well it turns out that the powers that be at Carlton do listen to the people because as of next season the old (heritage style) CFC logo will be permanently used on both the home and clash jumpers. I have seen them both and the clash will be exactly the same as the current style but with the traditional CFC in navy as per the current style.

The club will also continue with the current 150th logo style but revert back to our Latin phase of Mens Sana In Corpre Sano so it's it'll be the same as the past but with silver highlights.

As far as I know the club will only have replica jumpers on sale and not the match day versions as the players jumpers are super tight fitting and not ideal for the general public.

I'm so happy that we will are going back to the jumper & corporate logo that served us so well for decades.

2015 will almost feel like a new club with a fresh President & C.E.O and the old school jumper/logo.

Sorry if this isn't thread worthy but I thought it was both important news that everyone will be happy to read.

Yeah. It's really strange because I love the current Carlton monogram. It's one of the best monogram logos in world sport IMO.

But I like the old one more when we're talking about jumpers.

It would look bold and great.
Though now to not do what happened in the 70s, 80s and 90s.
Have this monogram.
Carlton-1977.gif

With this logo:
Carlton-logo-1980.gif

We're a professional football club now :p

It would look bold and great.
Though now to not do what happened in the 70s, 80s and 90s.
Have this monogram.
Carlton-1977.gif

With this logo:
Carlton-logo-1980.gif

We're a professional football club now :p

The logo that they propose to change to should be name. Confusion is already seen here. Are we talking about the historical CFC which the Blues wore for many years at Princes Park or the CFC that was part of their logo for all those years and was on the jumper for a few seasons.

For a new logo for Carlton they should use the 150th anniversary logo with a few modifications. Replace the current CFC with the CFC from the historical logo and replace CELEBRATING 150 YEARS with Carlton Football Club. For someone looking at the Carlton's logo for the first time they wouldn't know what it represents. People need to be told, football is going into places that don't know Carlton. Does CFC mean Collingwood Football Club?
9NaQXjR.jpg

It looks so much bolder on the ground tonight than their current home jumper.

But then again, I like their current monogram, and they probably need continuity between their logo and jumper.

I thought I would give this a better try after we played them last night. The logo which they used on the jumpers last night was bolder, but it lacked the continuity between their logo and their jumper logo. Also the front of the AFL Record showed that the CFC on the front of the jumper hasn't always been the same. The CFC from the time when John Nicholls and Ron Barassi played was rounder than it was in the 1990's. However, one CFC logo did stay the same for a long time. For those with this weeks AFL Record on page 12 behind Ron Barassi at the top is the old logo CFC. That logo has been part of Carlton for many years. Looking at all these pictures of the Carlton jumper you can see there has been a lot of change over the years.
The CFC logo that should be used is the old logo CFC. However, when it appears on the jumper it should be done in the style that the logo has appeared in throughout the years, as a solid logo that isn't broken up when the characters cross over.
UPEdMyF.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about using both?

"Classic" monogram for all MCG games against other Vic sides (nod to its VFL past).
"Modern" monogram for all other games.

Both versions are really one and the same... what we see as the "modern" monogram was actually on the Carlton logo when they were running around with the "classic" monogram on wool jumpers. Due to the complexities of placing the "modern" monogram on the wool jumpers, the "classic" version was what they came up with (amusingly with variable sizes of the monogram on different players jumpers) until the late 90s when they could just print the "modern" monogram onto the jumpers with the new material, making the logo all uniform on all the jumpers.

Last edited:
I thought I would give this a better try after we played them last night. The logo which they used on the jumpers last night was bolder, but it lacked the continuity between their logo and their jumper logo. Also the front of the AFL Record showed that the CFC on the front of the jumper hasn't always been the same. The CFC from the time when John Nicholls and Ron Barassi played was rounder than it was in the 1990's. However, one CFC logo did stay the same for a long time. For those with this weeks AFL Record on page 12 behind Ron Barassi at the top is the old logo CFC. That logo has been part of Carlton for many years. Looking at all these pictures of the Carlton jumper you can see there has been a lot of change over the years.
The CFC logo that should be used is the old logo CFC. However, when it appears on the jumper it should be done in the style that the logo has appeared in throughout the years, as a solid logo that isn't broken up when the characters cross over.
UPEdMyF.jpg
You're talking about continuity, yet the two logos don't match up either ;)

I was in Rebel on the weekend looking for a birthday present for my brother and I saw the current home jumper next to the retro version, and I must say the latter is far and away the better look.

I hope they change it back.

You're talking about continuity, yet the two logos don't match up either ;)
The logo in the picture I was talking about was the one behind Ron Barassi in this picture.
ZAghi2H.jpg

Being the same as this one.
9NaQXjR.jpg

When I was talking about continuity I was talking about the picture on the front of this weeks AFL Record.
mGngZv2.jpg

There is a bit of a difference between John Nicholls CFC and the other's CFCs. Also there are differences between the other ones as well.
One thing that I always noticed was the Craig Bradley's CFC was different to everyone elses. His larger C was larger than everyone elses.
dY7TprY.jpg

His jumper looked more like those from the late 1970's.
VgzF82Y.jpg

The logo that Carlton has used on their jumper has changed over the years, and differed from player to player. At least by using the actual club logo all the players wear the same jumper.

It's not rocket science.

The CFC on the jumper should be the same as the CFC in the logo.

And THAT CFC should be this one....(It's THE very best one of the lot imo)....

mv71vCpazUUhGJaVOxM6kPw.jpg

lwhitnall.jpg

Tho I do admit that this CFC does look nice...(the sharper C type)....but you cant have a jumper with one type of CFC and the logo with another type.

show_image.php

I have no problem with a lack of continuity in this case, where there is a history of a club crest and jumper monogram.

The divergence is a product of being unable to replicate the intricacies of a more crafted crest onto a fabric cutout, and the stories of different interpretations are actually pretty cool. It's also not unique - from Subiaco and Sturt to the New York Yankees

yankeelogos.png

This would be a fantastic move.

Last edited:
Even though I am not a Carlton fan, I'm excited. Looking forward to seeing what will happen

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...itage-jumper-permanently-20140827-108mzm.html

Carlton chief executive Steven Trigg has been quick to act at his new club, adopting a "fan-friendly" philosophy and investigating whether this year's heritage guernsey should become the permanent strip.

Trigg last week emailed members seeking feedback on what is the number-one change the Blues should consider. A full survey will be distributed next week.

There has already been an overwhelming positive response to the heritage guernsey, which was used this season as part of the club's 150th anniversary celebrations in home matches against Collingwood in round seven, Hawthorn in round 13 and will be worn for the final time this season against Essendon on Saturday.

The jumper replicates the strip used by the Blues during their most successful era, from 1927 until 1997.

"The initial feedback I have received suggests the idea of changing our guernsey back to the historic and iconic CFC crest full-time very quickly becomes an initiative we will further investigate," Trigg said on Tuesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back