News Carlton guernsey monogram change? Club to put vote to members on 15 October

Remove this Banner Ad

From their site: "So what's it going to be? Our current CFC emblem, or return to our iconic heritage CFC crest that adorned our 'old dark navy blue' guernseys for 70 years, including 11 Premierships"

Had a bit of a laugh when I read that too.

In other words: "You can pick the good one that won us our flags (as modelled by our beloved captain). Or if you like mediocrity and failure, go with the crappy one on the left which is CURSED!"

If anything, this is the most likely of all (sans maybe Brisbane) of the votes to be genuine. Carlton have a new CEO and got rid of a quarter of their list last off-season and keep shedding players still. They seem intent on doing something. And a new CEO will want to come across as at one with the supporters, whereas the Eagles and Crows have a state full of supporters who'll stay regardless. Melbourne's footy culture is a lot more venomous and bitter (which is a good thing – that's the difference between a proper footy club and a monopoly franchise), so perhaps Carlton's going to actually take these numbers into account.

If it's like, 40/60 it might go whatever way the Blues' honchos want. If the margin is obvious, then...

I don't really get this whole 'going backwards' argument. Most footy fans don't really think like that, do they? Surely they'll pick the one they think looks the coolest – born from pure aesthetics, because they remember SOS and Optus Oval, or because they're 15 and it's all they've ever known. The Lions and Bullies haven't done a whole lot since their changes and nor have Carlton. Surely going 'backwards' to three-peats, 16 flags, and... ah... the.. Western.... Oval.... ICI? Ahh. Okay but the Bulldogs one looks a lot better and represents their heritage. I really don't see it that way at all and it personally seems a weird tangent; shouldn't the brethren here be more inclined to appreciate the retro/classic/mostly better?

As lmach said though, pretty rubbish club from top to toe. Princes Park will still be the best park in Melbs and Optus Oval an interesting relic. That's all Carlton really has.

Anyway, if the old monogram gets through, I hope BigFooty's next petition is for Hyundai's logo to have a white background again. That's proper Carlton. It just looks so complete
show_image.php

Compared to...

Madden95Article_620X370.jpg

carlton-1995.jpg

Going past Princes Park (aka Optus Oval aka MC Labour Park aka Visy Park) yesterday I would say that Carlton is behind the current logo on the jumpers. They have put up a huge new Carlton logo on the new part. The logo is the 150 years logo with the old motto instead of Celebrating 150 years.

I'm sure Carlton will will appreciate heritage input from fans of the WCE franchise who can't even figure their club colours out, and zero-premiership Freo who've just ditched their guernsey, colours and logo.
Now, now. Maybe Carlton will be relevant again one day.

Sydney fans have a stronger position to comment from :)

May I ask why?

Not to seem like a dick, but I can't really see your argument here. West Coast I understand, our club branding is horrendous, it hasn't been any good since 1994. But Fremantle? What's wrong with their branding? Their latest logo and jumper update has generated a strong brand image? What they currently have now is leaps and bounds better then what they had.

This isn't about club vs club. Our opinions matter just as much as any other posters on this board. Don't knock the club, just because you're insecure of yourself. The topic of discussion is Carlton and their branding, the posters on this thread are discussing this from their point of view, not their clubs. Stop being so precious. Our opinions are all equally weighted, regardless of where our allegences lie.

May I ask why?
Sure, and thanks for asking so politely.

I agree that Freo's new branding is really strong and consistent, and I like it. To get there though, they had to ditch their jumper, logo, and the two of their colours that related to to the maritime industry. They've still got a problem with the club song (fixable) and any real link to Freo (probably not fixable), but I agree they seem to have a plan.

Our opinions matter just as much as any other posters on this board. Don't knock the club.
As lmach said though, pretty rubbish club from top to toe.
You're right, and I over-reacted to lmach's comment, but I think if you want to write off a club "from top to toe" in a branding discussion you should make sure your own club hasn't changed your colours to sell more polo shirts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[...]in a branding discussion you should make sure your own club hasn't changed your colours to sell more polo shirts...
It's not like anyone on this board was involved in those decisions, in fact, several posters here disagree, and vehemently refute, several of the recent branding decisions by some of the clubs. There's no need to act all high and mighty, we're all just weirdos who like merchandise and colours in the end...

My first guensey had the logo in my avatar (old long sleeve woolen one)....to me, that is Carlton.

I'd certainly welcome the shift for the on field strip, whilst keeping the other monograms for other club stuff (scarves, official monogram etc).

Given it's the 17th, do we know the result?

The voting process has only just got underway. There's a website to accompany it – how slick does this look? I love it. The Blues certainly have a lot of history. Despite barracking for Collingwood, they're not a team I really hate. There are a couple of clubs that are much worse.

http://selectourguernsey.com.au

Also note to Mero in that 'time warp' style video all the different monogram varieties throughout the 1933–1997 period! I think the way you have it is best though, because there wasn't really a standardised version up until the early 80s really

The voting process has only just got underway. There's a website to accompany it – how slick does this look? I love it. The Blues certainly have a lot of history. Despite barracking for Collingwood, they're not a team I really hate. There are a couple of clubs that are much worse.

http://selectourguernsey.com.au

Also note to Mero in that 'time warp' style video all the different monogram varieties throughout the 1933–1997 period! I think the way you have it is best though, because there wasn't really a standardised version up until the early 80s really
I noticed in the video that they didn't use the CFCC monogram (Cricket and footy club).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back