Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In those years, Carlton had fallen out of the finals in 1997 and 1998, and had lost our way a little. I remember we became one of the best physical pressuring sides in the comp, and it was largely on the back of Hamill and the example he set. He was the perfect foil for a rampaging Whitnall and I don't think Lance was ever the same after Hamill left. I really loved the footy we were playing when Hamill was in the side. Toughest Carlton footy in nearly 30 years IMO.
This is so true... Sammy would hit the ball hard as a lead up CHF and then turn around and smash it to the young Lance Whitnall on the lead. Then there was also the fact that he tackled like a ton of bricks. After Sammy left, we were left with a very young pairing in Fevola and Livingston.

If it is true what AndyLucimitis said about the lack of professionalism at the blues when Sammy left, then that would have also stemmed from the attitudes of the board of the day. They were more interested in spending big money on acquiring or retaining a few aging stars and getting their names put on new stands at Princes Park than actually investing into the club. If they had put more effort into the footballing department, then the club wouldn't have been in such dire straights a couple of years later.

If it is true what AndyLucimitis said about the lack of professionalism at the blues when Sammy left

No, he said Sammy was surprised at the lack of professionalism at the Saints compared to the Blues.

Back in the days when the tail was definitely wagging the dog. You don't enjoy much success when the players are calling the shots.

From what I remember, the club offered Campo a 1 year deal, because they didn't believe he had much football left in him whereas Campo wanted 2 years.

Realistically Campo was done & was lucky to be offered a 1 year deal. His final season at Carlton was abysmal.
Then when he got to the scum*, he did his hamstring badly (shredded it apparently) and it took him the better part of the 2 years to recover... only ended up playing the better part of a season there I think (19 games in 2 years). Which is pretty much what we offered him anyway. And the money was the same as what we actually offered as well.

must have misread it then... will go back for another look.

Can confirm - Hamill had come from a Carlton club, which at the time, was steeped in success and demanded success. When he went to the Saints he felt they didn't have this drive for success - more laid back and I think he even made a comment that when Blighty came on board they only trained a 2 or 3 nights a week.

“I think Juddy signing on for another year is tremendous,” Simpson said.

“I’ve got two years left on my contract and after that who knows. I’m going to be doing everything in my power, and dragging as many blokes with me as I can, to get this club where it should be: up the top.”

You're a legend, Simmo!

“I’ve got two years left on my contract and after that who knows. I’m going to be doing everything in my power, and dragging as many blokes with me as I can, to get this club where it should be: up the top.”

You're a legend, Simmo!
IMO should have been given the captaincy after Judd. Bleeds navy blue and on the field he is an extremely leader. Not a pot shot at Murph just think that Simmo would have been a fantastic captain for 4-5 years after Judd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're a legend, Simmo!

guys like Simmo highlight the guys who aren't like Simmo if you get what I mean :p

Our Bryce came 27th in Mike Sheahan's end of season top 50, which i wouldn't mind so much, if he wasn't behind the likes of Pearce Hanley, whom i feel had a decent season, but not ad consistently good as Gibbsy .

Our Bryce came 27th in Mike Sheahan's end of season top 50, which i wouldn't mind so much, if he wasn't behind the likes of Pearce Hanley, whom i feel had a decent season, but not ad consistently good as Gibbsy .

Don't think Gibbs has "Mike Sheahans top 50" on his resume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back