Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's annoyed we didn't give him a job.

IMO, this is the best trade & draft period we've had for probably ................... at least a decade so I was gobsmacked when I read Pelican's assessment the other day.

I'm very pleased with what has taken place so he can go 'root a boot'.

That Greg Denham bloke opens his mouth and I want to shove a microphone down his throat, absolute flog.
For once I agree with KB, Denham is a hated man in football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard very good things from a friend that has had dealings with Schwarz.................but not so nice re. Brownless.

Allen is a shocker and I fear he may drag Schwarz to his level.

I liked Schwartz and francis leach, your right allen is dragging schwarz down, allen is a dead set pranut

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-and-the-culture-club-20141206-121qw9.html

Another bitter attack on Carlton and its "money" culture. The article had some good points, but single-ing out Carlton as a club that buys success is clearly incorrect.

Apparently we are led to believe by Jack Niall (yet another person in the media) that the only club that used "chequebook recruiting" in the VFL/AFL during the 1970s to the 1990s was Carlton. Apparently Hawthorn never recruited John Platten, Buckenara, Abbot, Jarman, Ben Allan and Darren Pritchard amongst many others. North never recruited Barry Cable, Glendinning and Malcolm Blight - those guys never played in the VFL apparently and they never were lured over by money.

Poor recruiting is only part of the problem, what about the AFL head office's attitude towards Carlton in relation to other clubs?
Has this writer analysed why North Melbourne gets over 10 million in AFL funding more than Carlton since 2006. Could that impact on how a team goes perhaps? 10 million in the bank surely helps. Why did Hawthorn get the Tasmanian deal alone etc from the AFL? Let's write an article on why elements of the AFL doesn't consider Carlton a key plank in its growth. That would be an interesting article.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/carlton-and-the-culture-club-20141206-121qw9.html

Another bitter attack on Carlton and its "money" culture. The article had some good points, but single-ing out Carlton as a club that buys success is clearly incorrect.

Apparently we are led to believe by Jack Niall (yet another person in the media) that the only club that used "chequebook recruiting" in the VFL/AFL during the 1970s to the 1990s was Carlton. Apparently Hawthorn never recruited John Platten, Buckenara, Abbot, Jarman, Ben Allan and Darren Pritchard amongst many others. North never recruited Barry Cable, Glendinning and Malcolm Blight - those guys never played in the VFL apparently and they never were lured over by money.

Poor recruiting is only part of the problem, what about the AFL head office's attitude towards Carlton in relation to other clubs?
Has this writer analysed why North Melbourne gets over 10 million in AFL funding more than Carlton since 2006. Could that impact on how a team goes perhaps? 10 million in the bank surely helps. Why did Hawthorn get the Tasmanian deal alone etc from the AFL? Let's write an article on why elements of the AFL doesn't consider Carlton a key plank in its growth. That would be an interesting article.
It's Jake Niall what'd you expect. Isn't he an Essendon supporter?

Whilst some valid points are raised, most are applicable to all clubs. and so easy to judge in retrospect.
Thing that strikes me the most is the almost complete disregard to the trade sanctions / fines that were imposed by the AFL in the early 2000s for our salary cap cheating.
Our club was gutted, almost to oblivion.
We have taken our licks, hopefully learnt from these mistakes. Its articles such as this that will make the next time we hold that cup aloft the sweetest of them all.
I will hope that we do this with dignity, but with the firm belief that we are once again the greatest f'en club in the AFL.
OWWK, I know we will be again.

It's Jake Niall what'd you expect. Isn't he an Essendon supporter?

He makes some valid points and exposes some home truths which we might not be comfortable with, but as OWWK says, we have been working on addressing those issues over the past 10 years or so, coming from a long way back. Niall is the one living in the past, writing a piece like this now. The Elliott era is long gone, and while Pratt may have shared similar views to JE, we needed a Pratt at the time for our very survival.

If Niall is indeed an Essendon* man, I'd say this article is mainly motivated by a desire to distract from a far more poisonous club "culture" - one that persists to this very day - over at Essendon*. Win at all costs, their club is bigger than the league and the sociopathic belief that rules apply to everyone else, but not to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back