Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll sing the praises of an Atley, Conca, Impey etc but never ever give Carlton's youngsters praise.

Those with half a footy brain know the talent though. Look at Healy's praisw for him in the Geelong game and the countless positives he showed in 2014 after relocating, losing his father and having surgery multiple times.

Docherty is exactly the type of youth a club needs. He may make the odd mistake but he's at the very least a good contributor.

And Ralph knows this how?

Docherty's spent a few seasons injured before his 2014 where he showed plenty despite his horrid preseason.

How do guys like Ralph get labelled as experts?

How? Because they've said so.

There's something about being a young player for another team that signals them as being stars of the future but when it comes to Carlton..........they have no kids.

It's just a mantra that showed up a couple of years ago that many experts are still riding with, including 'expert' opposition fans.

Oh good. So it wasn't just me that found Ralph's comment inaccurate.
Although, criticising Docherty has been a reoccurring theme here this week. :cool:

I had concerns about some of his disposal by foot last season, as they did not carry to team mates.
One clear instants was a kick to Murphy that dropped short and left him open to being cleaned up which the opposition did.

However, I put all of that down to his lack of preseason. I am hoping to see much better disposal this season.

Yeah I'd put it down to lack of preseason at this stage, at least. He's young, had injuries and lack of preparation, often running flat out so I guess I can see why his disposal was inconsistent.

It pretty handy to be universally underrated... over the last couple of injury plagued malthouse years, the general afl community has come to see Carlton as a bottom 6. After a generally disregarding of a team, the team often has a little unabated surge as their new style catches coaches out. Sometimes the new style is quickly found out as a plan is developed by other teams to beat it. (see Richmond 2014) other times the team finds itself top 4 (teams have not yet worked out how to beat Port).

im pretty happy that Carlton is universally regarded as bottom 6 this year. After last year we hardly deserve more respect after loosing to melbourne and GWS... but this year is another year. Carlton team has transformed, it still has all the bits that made it good but has been refreshed with a new team ethos, and a flush of new talent that looks like it might actually be talent. (analysts are used to correctly writing off our youth as duds in a previous recruiting and development era)

never in the modern era have we seen a pool of talent hit carlton in a two year period. These players all have already shown genuine winning abilities and attributes that will worry oppositions:

Clem smith
Jacksch
Docherty
cripps
Bryne
Boekhorst
Sheehan

unless we have a more injured season than last year its hard to see we will perform worse than last year.

... thank you experts for the under rating...

and if you are a betting man, today you may get carlton at $4 to make the 8

It pretty handy to be universally underrated... over the last couple of injury plagued malthouse years, the general afl community has come to see Carlton as a bottom 6. After a generally disregarding of a team, the team often has a little unabated surge as their new style catches coaches out. Sometimes the new style is quickly found out as a plan is developed by other teams to beat it. (see Richmond 2014) other times the team finds itself top 4 (teams have not yet worked out how to beat Port).

im pretty happy that Carlton is universally regarded as bottom 6 this year. After last year we hardly deserve more respect after loosing to melbourne and GWS... but this year is another year. Carlton team has transformed, it still has all the bits that made it good but has been refreshed with a new team ethos, and a flush of new talent that looks like it might actually be talent. (analysts are used to correctly writing off our youth as duds in a previous recruiting and development era)

never in the modern era have we seen a pool of talent hit carlton in a two year period. These players all have already shown genuine winning abilities and attributes that will worry oppositions:

Clem smith
Jacksch
Docherty
cripps
Bryne
Boekhorst
Sheehan

unless we have a more injured season than last year its hard to see we will perform worse than last year.

Nice post thebluelagoon

In fairness to some of the media, they've taken the simple path and had a look at last years results and assumed the same or worse, given Judd is older and we lost Waite.
In fairness, that's the best I can assume as the reasons (or lack of them, in many cases) for our demise, don't really stack up.

They may yet be proved to have pinned the tail on the donkey but that will only be for sheer luck, than for considered research........oh well :)

How? Because they've said so.

There's something about being a young player for another team that signals them as being stars of the future but when it comes to Carlton..........they have no kids.

It's just a mantra that showed up a couple of years ago that many experts are still riding with, including 'expert' opposition fans.

Yep, exactly this. They'll continue with the same line until our results can point to something different. If we win 10+ games this year watch how quickly some of them begin to sing the praises of our youngsters, and pretend that they have felt this way about them for a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't give a flying **** what the media say about our team tbh

It does affect our ability to gain new members and supporters in general though.

All that Collingwood and Richmond hype about fairly ordinary players certainly helps them sell memberships.

Personally I like MM but his hostile relationship with the media makes it hard for Carlton to create a good image of him for the more casual Carlton supporters.

People weren't signing up before Mick came about. People won't sign up till we start winning consistently/finals.

Ratten was getting battered from pillar to post though and Kernahan already made his perception of the media (justifiably) known to them.

Even McClure was throwing Ratten under the bus on AFL 360 for eating jelly snakes and been "over-enthusiastic".

No doubt that on-field success will help more then anything else though.

I don't give a flying **** what the media say about our team tbh

I do though like for the media commentators to portray a little more insight into the sport they're deriving their income from.
No problem having an opinion, be it positive or negative but it has to be backed up with substance......or at least I think it should.

It seems to be years now that I find more quality on these forums, than anything derived form the experts that get paid for their duties....They have to work harder....someone will eventually raise the bar but for now I can skip over it....not good enough.

Clem smith
Jacksch
Docherty
cripps
Bryne
Boekhorst
Sheehan

4 bucks seems pretty skinny.......

I do though like for the media commentators to portray a little more insight into the sport they're deriving their income from.
No problem having an opinion, be it positive or negative but it has to be backed up with substance......or at least I think it should.

It seems to be years now that I find more quality on these forums, than anything derived form the experts that get paid for their duties....They have to work harder....someone will eventually raise the bar but for now I can skip over it....not good enough.

I follow the NBA closely (not quite as much as the AFL) and the gap in quality between our so called experts and their's is incredible. Drives me mad, with the main culprits being the former players and Slobbo. Despite it being their job, some of them don't know a thing about guys who aren't in a teams top 15 players. The Herald Sun journos especially seem to be more focused on supercoach output than anything else.

Clem smith
Jacksch
Docherty
cripps
Bryne
Boekhorst
Sheehan

And you could add more, so who gives a s**t what the so called "experts" think, we know what we have and there is plenty of talent there, it's good they are all underrating us, it will be even sweeter when we kick them up the arse.

Most sides fancy their chances of beating Carlton in a close game - even with a minute to play - ask Fremantle/geelong etc Too many players at Carlton give up before they even run on the paddock - typically a flashy ten minute start followed by three quarters of capitulation one way or another. Lots of experienced Carlton players are expert at making themselves look good in patches - that doesn't win games and certainly doesn't fool members and supporters who goto games.

Time for some of the more experienced players to really stand up next to Judd and define themselves by their ability to beat their man and help their teammate beat theirs as well and then for them to insist that everyone else wearing the colours on the day plays the same way or GTFO.

All talk of strategy and tactics and match ups is bull compared to basic mongrel and pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back