Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reserving all further judgement until about 5pm sat arvo. We brought the bulls**t that the club and more importantly the captain was spinning last year. This year same bs and spun in the same "I don't believe what I'm saying tone." If we don't give a yelp Saturday arvo then well I don't know.... Win/loss whatever fellas. Effort just give me effort!!

FFS!!!

People over react slowly always.....the forum has over reacted to two bad games....and the world is coming to an end ..

I don't buy it. Both Malthouse AND Murphy are BETTER than the last two losses but THIS list wont win a flag OR challenge for one...

Carlton can play finals and not contend - whilst building for real contention - Malthouse was brought in to do exactly that.

Kreuzer/Warnock(even)/Sheehan/Walker/Thomas will all be improvement INS over the next month or so...

Docherty/Bell/Everitt are playing really well...Buckley/Cripps/Menzel/Byrne/Sheehan are genuine starting 22 quality. Whiley/Smith/Boekhurst will likely be good pickups

no more Lucas's Bootsmas' Mclean/Warnock type silly draft picks and trades will ever occur under SOS no more skinny short slow runts will ever be drafted.

The Club is in better shape going forward than it was four years ago - the list is better after two years of Malthouse, the CEO is better, the List manager role is now in the hands of someone who has a clue...TIME doing the right stuff and NOT oing STOOPID stuff has a positive compounding payoff - we just hve to do the time.

the President gave Robinson and interview - to get a journalist who is an influential basher more on side - simple as that - no more than that - it is a sign that Carlton is ditching its F the rest position.

I think Carlton can STILL play finals - or go close and I think best 22 on field is capable of taking on any side except for Hawthorn and Sydney - IF the players want to play.

Carlton can play finals and not contend - whilst building for real contention - Malthouse was brought in to do exactly that.

I don't mind this. The implication was that we have to strip it back and almost start again. We don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Players and supporters need hope as well, not just a 'strap yourself in, this I going to get rough' message.

No more Lucas's Bootsmas' Mclean/Warnock type silly draft picks and trades will ever occur under SOS no more skinny short slow runts will ever be drafted.

I like the rest of your post but this part is a little on the nose.

We'll see whether SOS nails it each and every time..............he couldn't do it before when it was rather easy so why now?............Actually the point is that no-one ever gets it all right but getting it right more often than wrong does help.

On the contrary JamisonRun40 , I'm feeling better about the club today than i have in a long time .
Finally , some honesty , some reality ... as others have said , you can only begin to fix a problem when you admit the problem .
Let's just hope this time it's all done properly .
Off field it's all new , so they get their chance .
List wise I'm backing SOS ... we have too !!

Likewise.

I felt so so flat after the game last Friday night.... Probably the worst I've felt about where we are at in 15 years, and that's saying something .... There were 2 main reasons: the leaders didn't give a yelp for a second week straight (which was a change I was expecting to see in 2015), but more so because I could see so many holes in our list that I just couldn't see how we would ever fill them all.

I think it came down to going into the season thinking that we would be capable of being thereabouts before Murph/Gibbs/Krooz retired and then suddenly seeing that as a very unlikely outcome (I think the Club may have come to the same realisation), with added concerns about what it would mean for the list when that crop retired..

Once I got my head and emotions around the idea of losing senior players that we've followed for years in order to gain access to quality young players via trade or draft, I felt a lot better and more enthusiastic. Having faith in Macca and co. and knowing that they are somewhat on the same page, helps.

Whichever approach is taken, success is not guaranteed. Something we are well aware of now. It's a nice feeling to mostly have faith in the off-field side of things though. Bodes well.

Last edited:
I like the rest of your post but this part is a little on the nose.

We'll see whether SOS nails it each and every time..............he couldn't do it before when it was rather easy so why now?............Actually the point is that no-one ever gets it all right but getting it right more often than wrong does help.

No worries Harker.

I think recruiting under the systems being introduced will be far improved going forward. I think that there will be a much more real world understanding of what it takes physically and mentally to be a successful AFL footballer.

and of course I am hoping for fewer high pick clangers than experienced in recent memory.

..The Club is in better shape going forward than it was four years ago - the list is better after two years of Malthouse, the CEO is better, the List manager role is now in the hands of someone who has a clue...TIME doing the right stuff and NOT oing STOOPID stuff has a positive compounding payoff - we just hve to do the time..I think Carlton can STILL play finals - or go close and I think best 22 on field is capable of taking on any side except for Hawthorn and Sydney - IF the players want to play.

Stop it, you're making me feel better.

People over react slowly always.....the forum has over reacted to two bad games....and the world is coming to an end ..

I don't buy it. Both Malthouse AND Murphy are BETTER than the last two losses but THIS list wont win a flag OR challenge for one...

Kreuzer/Warnock(even)/Sheehan/Walker/Thomas will all be improvement INS over the next month or so...

Docherty/Bell/Everitt are playing really well...Buckley/Cripps/Menzel/Byrne/Sheehan are genuine starting 22 quality. Whiley/Smith/Boekhurst will likely be good pickups

no more Lucas's Bootsmas' Mclean/Warnock type silly draft picks and trades will ever occur under SOS no more skinny short slow runts will ever be drafted.

The Club is in better shape going forward than it was four years ago - the list is better after two years of Malthouse, the CEO is better, the List manager role is now in the hands of someone who has a clue...TIME doing the right stuff and NOT oing STOOPID stuff has a positive compounding payoff - we just hve to do the time.

the President gave Robinson and interview - to get a journalist who is an influential basher more on side - simple as that - no more than that - it is a sign that Carlton is ditching its F the rest position.

I think Carlton can STILL play finals - or go close and I think best 22 on field is capable of taking on any side except for Hawthorn and Sydney - IF the players want to play.

Good one JAB

You pull one out every now and then :thumbsu:

No worries Harker.

I think recruiting under the systems being introduced will be far improved going forward. I think that there will be a much more real world understanding of what it takes physically and mentally to be a successful AFL footballer.

and of course I am hoping for fewer high pick clangers than experienced in recent memory.

You'll find that recruiters do have varying philosophies just as much as us keyboard warriors have.

There is no "one way' to go about it and recruiters do have external pressures to deal with also....................not having a shot at you but just saying that every recruiter will have hits and misses and not solely for reasons based on their preferences alone.
i.e. Graham Wright got Garlett wrong...............Wells got Hamling wrong............everyone has got something wrong and I don't know why there won't be any 'silly' selections under SOS either.
Having said that, that isn't really his role here anyway, although there will be heavy input coming from SOS relating to our picks.

MLG hasn't been the panacea to our board woes..........Trigg hasn't been for our Membership woes...........Malthouse hasn't been for our coaching woes.............and SOS won't be for our recruiting woes..............we have to improve across the board and that didn't start yesterday.

Stop making sense JaB sheesh.

Don't you know we are doomed.

#tongueincheek

Part post shows why JaB has moved from my Dirty Guy file into my Worthy Guy file over the last few months.

You'll find that recruiters do have varying philosophies just as much as us keyboard warriors have.

There is no "one way' to go about it and recruiters do have external pressures to deal with also....................not having a shot at you but just saying that every recruiter will have hits and misses and not solely for reasons based on their preferences alone.
i.e. Graham Wright got Garlett wrong...............Wells got Hamling wrong............everyone has got something wrong and I don't know why there won't be any 'silly' selections under SOS either.
Having said that, that isn't really his role here anyway, although there will be heavy input coming from SOS relating to our picks.

MLG hasn't been the panacea to our board woes..........Trigg hasn't been for our Membership woes...........Malthouse hasn't been for our coaching woes.............and SOS won't be for our recruiting woes..............we have to improve across the board and that didn't start yesterday.

Bit harsh on Trigg ... I think he's done a pretty decent job with the membership, considering what he's selling.... MM has steered the ship in the right direction, along with Macca. Destination is a long way off, and it's likely to veer off-course occasionally, but at least the overall direction is right.... MLG hasn't done anything warranting negative judgement and seems to be on the same page as Macca and co .... SOS too fresh to judge ... You could almost add Trigg and MLG to that as well. Of all those men, MLG has me most concerned, but he speaks well, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and seems realistic, which is refreshing. Until he scews-up, shows weakness or behaves irrarionally, he's ok with me.

It appears that everyone is pretty much on the same page, rationally evaluating where we are at, and working together in the same direction and from the same page. That is a huge step, imo.

So MLo said nothing ground breaking or earth shattering but thats fine, he was open honest fronted the media, I'm feeling slightly better about it all, everyone seems to be heading the one direction, MM to coach out the year, some inernal fortitude from the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit harsh on Trigg ... I think he's done a pretty decent job with the membership, considering what he's selling.... MM has steered the ship in the right direction, along with Macca. Destination is a long way off, and it's likely to veer off-course occasionally, but at least the overall direction is right.... MLG hasn't done anything warranting negative judgement and seems to be on the same page as Macca and co .... SOS too fresh to judge ... You could almost add Trigg and MLG to that as well. Of all those men, MLG has me most concerned, but he speaks well, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and seems realistic, which is refreshing. Until he scews-up, shows weakness or behaves irrarionally, he's ok with me.

It appears that everyone is pretty much on the same page, rationally evaluating where we are at, and working together in the same direction and from the same page. That is a huge step, imo.

No he hasn't done a good job....................he took his eye off the ball and came in late with quick fixes.

I don't really want to blame Trigg because chances are he had to cut through a lot of red tape at the CFC before he could even 'really' start his job.

It's who we are.

HARKER what sort of red tape would he have been up against as a CEO ?

The one-two combination of MLG and Mathieson.

I don't like the splintering we've had going on, for much too long.
I've said that I feel that Trigg isn't a yes-man and will get a job done but that can be hard work when you have to sell your ideas over and over again..........I can only hope (sorry, can't find another term) that isn't the case

I've said that I feel that Trigg isn't a yes-man and will get a job done but that can be hard work when you have to sell your ideas over and over again..........I can only hope (sorry, can't find another term) that isn't the case

Ok thanks, you seems to have inside info, so splintering whers that?

From the outside looking in they all seem pretty united, but outside means nothing

FWIW Trigg is good mates with Gil...spybot

No he hasn't done a good job....................he took his eye off the ball and came in late with quick fixes.

I don't really want to blame Trigg because chances are he had to cut through a lot of red tape at the CFC before he could even 'really' start his job.

It's who we are.

Considering he is fairly new to the job and hadn't previously experienced the Carlton "process", I still think he's done well. TBH, I'm surprised 45,000 signed up .... It's a figure that realistically they'll need to take a hit on over the next couple of years, imo, before rebounding strongly should we have success.

The overall theme of his tenure, and its focus on fan engagement is a positive step. It doesn't happen overnight though.

I am entirely on the side of the fence that we become a club of the people, by the people, for the people. At least the theme at this stage is pointing in that direction.

I would enthusiastically participate in any move to rid ourselves of the Mathiesons and their dollars, and any other power brokers for that matter ... I hate that as a club we have been/are influenced by these fat cats, and I've always hated it.. As a fan base, how do we go about ridding ourselves of this? ... food for thought.. A movement we (the fans) would need to initiate, I suspect.

However, the fact that MLG is linked to them and has their support, and that SOS is a mate of MLG, doesn't necessarily mean they're not the right people for the job. The day they make a decision that comes across as a decision of a puppet, is the day they lose my support immediately. The realisation that we have a long road ahead, and patience is required makes me believe for now.

Ah Robbo, you are at your insightful, brilliant best.

"The only way Carlton can get players in is by the draft, trade and free agency".

Compared to the other myriad of methods we have to get players in.

It is staggering how he is a "chief" football journo. He shouldn't be allowed near a pen and paper.

Ah Robbo, you are at your insightful, brilliant best.

"The only way Carlton can get players in is by the draft, trade and free agency".

Compared to the other myriad of methods we have to get players in.

It is staggering how he is a "chief" football journo. He shouldn't be allowed near a pen and paper.

Also shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a TV screen! :straining:

You seem discouraged by the new regime. I think there needed to be some degree of splintering to the Pratt/Mathieson power struggle, because it created too many years of inactivity in the structures below. I couldn't give a flying fig which power-broker wins, as long as one of them does and movement occurs again. The board clearly needs new blood and hopefully that begins to be drip-fed in soon. We're certainly going to find out what this club is made of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back