Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair call. The only time I've gone to a costume party I've completely half arsed it, but I know some people are super into it.

My school had a once a year dress up day.

I used to go as

Undercover policeman
Off duty fireman
Sports spectator etc

Maybe my unenthusiastic response can be traced back to grade 2 when I dressed up as Sherlock Holmes and they confiscated my dad's pipe.

Jesus people.... There wasn't any tobacco in there FFS!

But whatevs, I'm totally over it....

*breathe, Ferris, breathe...

Well I give up. Seems posters on here can't be trusted to hold a mature discussion. Poor form.

Delete this one and you can delete my account with it.
That'll do.

It was starting to get a little testy and evolving into a discussion about racism generally, rather than this particular incident. It's not the thread for a general racism discussion and we probably don't want to give ammunition to others before we are even sure how much the media are on to it.

The Blue Room is a general talk board. Feel free to have your mature discussion in there.

God damn mods asleep at the wheel again.

You missed the perfect opportunity to get rid of Kramer1... Sheesh!

;):p

God damn mods asleep at the wheel again.

You missed the perfect opportunity to get rid of Kramer1... Sheesh!

;):p

He actually edited that last bit in after I posted.:)

I used to go as

Undercover policeman
Off duty fireman
Sports spectator etc

Maybe my unenthusiastic response can be traced back to grade 2 when I dressed up as Sherlock Holmes and they confiscated my dad's pipe.

Deerstalker?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-finals-2015-jarrad-waite-on-a-familiar-path-20150915-gjnetb.html

Is this campaigner f'ing serious?*

The opening line of the article... Jarrad Waite was a Carlton player so he is unaccustomed to playing finals.

FU Michael Gleeson! For the record, I think Carlton played in 4 finals series in JW's Carlton career. And NM played in 5 over that period. Big f'ing difference!!!

He then goes on to labour the point that Carlton is struggling. And tries to rub salt in the wound by mentioning Eddie Betts doing well.

I concede there is some merit in bringing up Carlton in the article. JW played with us for 13 years, and had the family history on top. So there is history/perspective to take into account. But it almost seems like a brief interview with JW is just a pretext to slag off Carlton.

Is this clown usually this lame? Am I over-reacting?

* I don't usually do the whole campaigner thing, but this really p'd me off.

There all the same - campaigners!

The amount of times I've heard so and so was from Carlton, how the supporters must be hurting! No other club has lost players apparently.

Carlton hate is still strong

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-finals-2015-jarrad-waite-on-a-familiar-path-20150915-gjnetb.html

Is this campaigner f'ing serious?*

The opening line of the article... Jarrad Waite was a Carlton player so he is unaccustomed to playing finals.

FU Michael Gleeson! For the record, I think Carlton played in 4 finals series in JW's Carlton career. And NM played in 5 over that period. Big f'ing difference!!!

He then goes on to labour the point that Carlton is struggling. And tries to rub salt in the wound by mentioning Eddie Betts doing well.

I concede there is some merit in bringing up Carlton in the article. JW played with us for 13 years, and had the family history on top. So there is history/perspective to take into account. But it almost seems like a brief interview with JW is just a pretext to slag off Carlton.

Is this clown usually this lame? Am I over-reacting?

* I don't usually do the whole campaigner thing, but this really p'd me off.
I'm not really sure why the media are so enamoured with the Kangaroos. Even if, by some quirk of fate, they get over Sydney this week, the Eagles will comfortably account for them next week & they will be up to 16 years without a premiership. Given the age profile of their list, it is now or never for them & yet they are most likely going to come up short again.

Pretty clear lesson in all of this...

You reap what you sow. The years and years of arrogance - we are Caaaaarlton...* the rest - is coming back tenfold.

We are having to learn the new way, hard enough in itself, and a task that only becomes more difficult when every Tom, Dick and Harry you shat on in the last 40 years is lining up to kick you in the arse.

To be sure, 'tis a grand time to be Navy Blue....

Pretty clear lesson in all of this...

You reap what you sow. The years and years of arrogance - we are Caaaaarlton...* the rest - is coming back tenfold.

We are having to learn the new way, hard enough in itself, and a task that only becomes more difficult when every Tom, Dick and Harry you shat on in the last 40 years is lining up to kick you in the arse.

To be sure, 'tis a grand time to be Navy Blue....
Sucks, but it has to be true. It's definitely not our success in recent times that has people so keen to pot us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are no standards in journalism anymore. To make it you pretty much have to be an antagonising troll with some ability to hit the required word count and some ability to construct an article. The days of Journalists having some level of respect for the game and the players so that they can get interviews with players and ask questions that will extract interesting and new information are gone. There are very few journos out there who have much idea about the game and who can sit a player down and ask good questions that invoke interesting responses. Good on Michael Gleeson for getting an interview, it's better than a lot of opinion pieces which modern football journalism mostly is and often very poor opinions at that. Pity the questions didn't really provide anything interesting or or anything that wasn't obvious, there was a bunch of stuff you could have asked Waite that the public would have found interesting that you didn't.

Guys like MArk Robinson who it astounds me how he's such a big public figure. There aren't many players or clubs this guy hasn't slandered. I would imagine at a club level this guy wouldn't have many mates. IMO he's actually bad for the game as he portrays it in such a negative light as he does the players and clubs involved in it. Probably a good reason why he only has opinion pieces, can't imagine many players would willingly want to have much to do with him unless paid. Mark Stevens is the same breed of journalist but without the TV "charisma" of robbo.

Plenty of really good old school Journos out there I think Mike Sheehan and Eddie McGuire are pretty good and underrated. McGuire has had his critics as he's been portrayed as a big of a whinger, but honestly he's had a pretty fair point for most of it. Emma Quayle is one of, if not the best football journalist. Actually has opinions on the game that are worth listening too. She would no a ton more than guys like Stevens and Robinson about the game and the players. All these people, when they interview players, you generally learn something new. It's generally interesting and informative. They see the game in a positive light more often than not and they have terrific interviewing skills. They actually leave their office and go and watch games (AFL and U18), they go out and interview players and they can do it because they have the respect of the players and they ask the right questions.

There are different levels of journalists. It's just a shame a lot of the high profile ones are, in football terms, good honest VFL players and some of the older or less profile ones tend to be your stars. There is a big big lack of quality in football journos, probably why I haven't exchanged money for a news paper in years.

There are no standards in journalism anymore. To make it you pretty much have to be an antagonising troll with some ability to hit the required word count and some ability to construct an article. The days of Journalists having some level of respect for the game and the players so that they can get interviews with players and ask questions that will extract interesting and new information are gone. There are very few journos out there who have much idea about the game and who can sit a player down and ask good questions that invoke interesting responses. Good on Michael Gleeson for getting an interview, it's better than a lot of opinion pieces which modern football journalism mostly is and often very poor opinions at that. Pity the questions didn't really provide anything interesting or or anything that wasn't obvious, there was a bunch of stuff you could have asked Waite that the public would have found interesting that you didn't.

Guys like MArk Robinson who it astounds me how he's such a big public figure. There aren't many players or clubs this guy hasn't slandered. I would imagine at a club level this guy wouldn't have many mates. IMO he's actually bad for the game as he portrays it in such a negative light as he does the players and clubs involved in it. Probably a good reason why he only has opinion pieces, can't imagine many players would willingly want to have much to do with him unless paid. Mark Stevens is the same breed of journalist but without the TV "charisma" of robbo.

Plenty of really good old school Journos out there I think Mike Sheehan and Eddie McGuire are pretty good and underrated. McGuire has had his critics as he's been portrayed as a big of a whinger, but honestly he's had a pretty fair point for most of it. Emma Quayle is one of, if not the best football journalist. Actually has opinions on the game that are worth listening too. She would no a ton more than guys like Stevens and Robinson about the game and the players. All these people, when they interview players, you generally learn something new. It's generally interesting and informative. They see the game in a positive light more often than not and they have terrific interviewing skills. They actually leave their office and go and watch games (AFL and U18), they go out and interview players and they can do it because they have the respect of the players and they ask the right questions.

There are different levels of journalists. It's just a shame a lot of the high profile ones are, in football terms, good honest VFL players and some of the older or less profile ones tend to be your stars. There is a big big lack of quality in football journos, probably why I haven't exchanged money for a news paper in years.

I think as sales have dried up, so has the editorial integrity. It's a damn shame, the HUN used to be a great read. Trash now, like much of the cheap British rubbish. They may as well introduce page 3 girls as well.

Completely agree, the HUN is alright for starting the fire and that's about it. Not much in the way of positive journalism which promotes the game, league, clubs or fan following at all anymore. Not much that inspires interest in the game. very little content that is informative or provides unique information to the reader. Too many garbage journalists getting a free ride to the top because they enjoy being arses and for what ever reason that is deemed as entertaining.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-australian-team/story-fnp04d70-1227538148523

Also posted this on the players board... under the Tuohy thread:

CARLTON defender Zach Tuohy is a surprise inclusion in the AFL Coaches Association All-Australian team.

The Irishman was one of three players named in the Coaches side that wasn’t included in the official 40-man All-Australian squad.

He was joined by Essendon defender Cale Hooker and Melbourne midfielder Bernie Vince.

Correlates nicely with his top 5 b & f finish.

Had an ordinary season in 2014 so wrapped he came back better in 2015.

Leadership group material?
Not sure about his leadership 'credentials' but he certainly has the passion for the guernsey to be a leader - all depends how his peers rate him. Given we'll need a back six member in the group next year, perhaps it'll be a case of OUT Rowe IN Tuohy... but Jamo will remain one would think.

Zac's versatility and consistency was on display this year. I expected he'd get the opposition's best small forward and he did on many occasions. His game on Betts was a standout for me. I suppose the game which surprised me was Western Bulldogs. His match up with Jake Stringer was a total surprise. For Tuohy to out point Stringer in one on one contests demonstrated that Zac had taken his game to the next level. His occasional monster goals are pretty good also.

I used to go as

Undercover policeman
Off duty fireman
Sports spectator etc

it was a bong, wasnt it !

#snubbed

Easton Wood picked over the Crow and Tuohy in the BP. Tex Walker also snubbed... thought he would've been shoe-in or close second in Captain of the year tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back