Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh there's definitely that aspect as well.

I've just heard of lot's of kids not wanting to support the same club as their parents because the club is no good and they get teased at school/footy training/where ever. The Demons are the ones that come to mind in recent times with kids not wanting to be associated with the club.

I do agree that there is likely multiple aspects to it. I tried to be a Hawthorn supporter as a 7 year old and was told in no uncertain terms that I would need to find a new home if I didn't support Carlton. My poor future children are getting the same message :D
Yes, that's true too. I remember copping it at high school big time because Carlton was in the midst of its worst period in history. Good times.

For the women without children....not sure on how to change their perception of Carlton and get them on board. I hope they're being surveyed for their opinions. Women of Carlton looks great but even I'm too intimidated to join by myself.

What is it others are doing to create a family dynamic?

What steps can the club take to capture these additional members?

I think we have started. Really think the happy, more inclusive atmosphere and constant stream of information and insight coming from the club gives that feel.

We have Captain Carlton for the kids and that includes Captain Carlton memberships and the like but for some reason our adult fans like to ridicule the concept as though it was geared towards them. When I used to go to the Gabba the Paddle Pop Lion was appreciated by families.

Trigg is keen to let us know that getting a women's team is not a cynical exercise to raise our profile but admits it might have a welcome membership boost effect. I think he is right, especially if we are smart about it. Our memberships are more expensive than most (another possible reason for lack of families).

I really think we should be looking at combining our levels. One membership gets you in to Carlton games, Northern Blues games and Women's comp games.

I hope we don't look at it as a possible revenue stream but more a member engagement thing with the hope that we get more memberships as a result of giving people more value.

Carlton membership currently gets you into Northern Blues home games, I think.

Edit: yes, it definitely does:

STANDARD MEMBER BENEFITS
  • Membership Card
  • Individual Year of Membership Loyalty Badge (Based on consecutive years of membership)
  • 2016 Member Lanyard
  • Bumper Stickers
  • Season Guide magazine (one per household)
  • Inside Carlton magazine (one per household)
  • Fixture Magnet (sent with Season Guide magazine – one per household)
  • Free entry to Northern Blues Ikon Park home games
http://membership.carltonfc.com.au/standard-member-benefits

I believe we always had the talent, contrary to most. I believe we've been poorly coached and poorly disciplined, and had some poor luck along the way. I believe we as a club failed our players and supporters. I believe that with the right outlook, the right coach, the right training and the right gameplan, we're going to vastly exceed most peoples lowly expectations for 2016. Damn it all, im tipping finals this year.
I'm with you Wook (can I call you "Wook"? I'm still fairly new here, don't want to over step) , I think we've underachieved. I know that sounds obvious, given the spoons etc, but what I mean is, like you, I thought our results were nowhere near a true reflection of the talent and sides we had on the field. I'm not sure about finals this year, but I agree I think we'll surprise a lot of people in 2016.

I'm with you Wook (can I call you "Wook"? I'm still fairly new here, don't want to over step) , I think we've underachieved. I know that sounds obvious, given the spoons etc, but what I mean is, like you, I thought our results were nowhere near a true reflection of the talent and sides we had on the field. I'm not sure about finals this year, but I agree I think we'll surprise a lot of people in 2016.
1600 posts in five months - you ain't new anymore.

Saints have hit the draft hard last few years, I see their rebuild as ahead of ours.

They have lots of young top end talent (more than us IMHO) and a bunch of stars at the other end of the curve. Astonishingly little to speak of in between.

Funnily enough the mathematical term for that kind of spread also matches their fanbase - dumbbell distribution.
They've hit the draft hard but they have done so with multiple picks in the twenties and late, late teens and really when you look at those players apart from Dunstan (who will be a good 200 game player for them but I just don't see as being A-grade) what have they actually done? The recruitment of Hickey and Lee traded them out of the first round and netted them the likes of Spencer White. Bruce has been an awesome get and a true bargain for them, Billings will be a star if he can get a good run with injuries, it is still too early to tell about their 2014 crop (which looks more promising for them than their previous drafts) but when you actually look at their young players and what they have done, they still have a long, long way to go. Especially in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2016.01.28%20-%20Inside%20Football%20-%20Carlton%202016.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back