Time:

7.40pm local time

Venue:

Etihad Stadium

Ticket Info:

Here

TV and Radio Coverage:

All areas: Live on FoxSports 1 from 7.30pm
Qld, Regional NT, Remote/Central NSW/SA: Live on 7mate/Southern Cross from 7.30pm AEST
Social Media:

TBA

Last time they met:

Blues by too many (Round 2, 2012)

Betting Odds

Blues $1.20; Lions $4.40

Weather Report
Min 9 Max 15 Shower or two.

Preview by Spazzallo

I’ve been pondering the last few weeks on how to do this write up, and as it was originally going to be done by Duritz before his sad departure I figured I’d do it just as he would.. With blind optimism (and my good friend alcohol).

So here we go. It’s been a tough few weeks with not much to cheer about but I am of the firm belief that the Lions will win this weekend.

‘Just how crazy is this Spazzallo bloke?' I can hear you say, but let me elaborate. Forget about the last few weeks, our best is far better than that and a change in form is just around the corner. The players are well aware that the performances dished up against Gold Coast, West Coast and Richmond have been incredibly poor and spots are no longer being gifted.

But the reason for my optimism sends me back to that great day in 2009 and how far things have come in that time. Only 1/3 of the team who played will be out on the park this weekend and the majority of these differences are for the better. Observe!

Lions players in the 2009 Elimination Final who will be playing this weekend:
Black
Brown
Merrett
Patfull
Polkinghorne
Redden
Rich

Into our team this week
Adcock
Banfield
Crisp
Drummond
Green
Hanley
Harwood
Hudson
Karnezis
Lisle
Maguire
Raines
Rockliff
Wrigley
Yeo

Out & Gone!
Bradshaw
Power
Clark
Rischitelli
Austin
Harding
Hooper
Johnstone
Brennan
Roe
Sherman

Out (not selected)
McGrath
Hawksley
Sheldon
Stiller

You read that correctly.

No longer do we have Jason Roe kicking the ball wasting 30 seconds at a time, waving his arms in the air as if trying to cast magic, and then kicking the ball straight to an opposition player. We have Matthew ‘Goose’ Maguire.

No longer do we have Justin Sherman skiing downhill at 150KM to kick the ball into the post for the 4th time in a match. We have Tom Rockliff.

No longer do we have Rhan Hooper wasting his talent and disappearing for quarters at a time, we have Josh Green.

On that fateful day we did not have a creative half back flanker. We now have two, Hanley & Drummond.

Clutching at straws? I think not. As I gazed across that list of players who are no longer on our list two thoughts came to mind. How on earth we made the finals let alone win a final with some of those players and how far we have come in that time. Apart from losing Bradshaw (who would be retired by now anyway) and Clark (who at that stage was in career best form) we have improved over all areas of the field.

Even if we don't win this weekend, it's important to remember how far this team have come so quickly. It's easy to be pessimistic but we've already improved leaps and bounds over last year. This is our chance to show the competition how far we have come and leave 2012 with a bang.

KEY MATCHUPS
Raines vs Murphy
With Judd out, Raines no longer has to worry about having his eyes stabbed out or his arms torn from his torso. Murphy however will be a tough assignment and limiting his run and effective clearances will be key to our midfield battle.

Hudson vs Kruezer
This will be a tough game for Hudson as Kruezer is clearly more athletic and poses a threat down forward. Hopefully Huddo can outmuscle him to negate his influence and Patful or Merrett to follow him down forward. This is where Maric killed us last week and the same mistakes cannot be made again

Adcock vs Betts
Adcock lost out to Milne a few weeks ago in what was one of his harder games over the years. Stopping Betts will be a key. He has consistently beaten us over the years and stopping those 2-4 sneaky goals he kicks will be critical in holding onto any momentum we may gain.

Carlton’s season hangs by a thread and it would be glorious to see the lions end it for them, just like that beautiful day in 2009.

Lions by 24 points.

Great preview.

The improvement in personal is there, We just need more matches into them.

As usual, I hope Doc' and Beams are put into the side this week, As the season draws to a close these two NEED to play.

I think it's time to rest Crisp as well.

Good preview. I too am optimistic (and hungry).

Lions by 24 for me as well, mainly because the number 24 is awesome.

Plus I think the boys are sick of losing, while Carlton are skiing downhill fast.

I think you wisely opted to not quite replicate the Duritzy drunkenness, if there was more booze used you may just have pushed the infraction reaction envelope that little bit too far – Good call for your user record, bad move for our low brow humour levels… lol

I know I might be nit-picking, or maybe I am already in a ‘long-lunch’ phase? Re your past player list, how could you possibly miss the opportunity to make reference to the ‘folk-lore, rumoured' ;) response of Justin Sherman doing a night club impersonation of an Austin Power’s pick up scenario?

Vanessa: – [the night club target]: Mr Sherman, I would never have sex with you, ever! If you were the last man on earth and I was the last woman on earth, and the future of the human race depended on our having sex, simply for procreation, I still would not have sex with you.

Sherman: What's your point, Vanessa?

Sooooooooo un-Shagga Delic Baby!

Other than that a Great Preview Spazzallo – haha :thumbsu:

All that I want to see is for Raines to draw up the memory of round 13 2006 and do what Copeland did again.

Actually thinking about it it's problably not the nicest sentiment I've ever had but when I realise that he is wearing a Carlton jumper that little guy on my shoulder smiles and says if he's going to wear that s*** then he's got to expect whats coming to him.

Top preview, Spazz. Would read again. And have. Interesting reading when comparing our list from the end of 2009 to this one we currently have, and really highlights the drastic change in direction that our team has taken in terms of strategy and personnel.

Although the Titanic does not have a tight turning circle, looking at your lists there it is clear that our crrent team already comes up trumps on potential and displayed talent.

KEY MATCHUPS
Raines vs Murphy
With Judd out, Raines no longer has to worry about having his eyes stabbed out or his arms torn from his torso. Murphy however will be a tough assignment and limiting his run and effective clearances will be key to our midfield battle.

Had a bit of a chuckle at that bit. Nice write-up.

Your optimism is obvious with that prediction though. As much as I'm hoping for a win, Carlton will probably downhill ski straight past Richmond into ninth. Carlton by 31.

Top write up, Spazzallo.

I think one of the difficulties you neglected to mention RE Kreuzer vs Hudson, is that Kreuzer is very difficult to ruck against and tackle. You see, one thing people don't realise is that before every game, Carlton have a special employee called a "fluffer", whose job it is to squeeze the pus from Matthew Kreuzer's moonscape of acne, then massage it over his skin. This makes him incredibly difficult to tackle and outbody in the ruck.

Top write up, Spazzallo.

I think one of the difficulties you neglected to mention RE Kreuzer vs Hudson, is that Kreuzer is very difficult to ruck against and tackle. You see, one thing people don't realise is that before every game, Carlton have a special employee called a "fluffer", whose job it is to squeeze the pus from Matthew Kreuzer's moonscape of acne, then massage it over his skin. This makes him incredibly difficult to tackle and outbody in the ruck.
Oh dear, I hope he uses gloves:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great write up Spazzallo!

This game is really important for a few reasons.....

Firstly we seem to be running out of steam; the players and more particularly the support staff of the team (physios, burton et al) need to make sure the season is finished off with a roar....it is about time that the young kids ran out a season....gotta push through real hard over the final weeks or else we will hit the wall again next year....

Secondly to lend from Animal Farm....losing culture is bad......winning culture is good

Thirdly carlscum are the uber scum of scum.....

Good review.

Been to every Melbourne game this season and expecting a 5+ goal defeat (and Carlton are not much to write home about). Glad to be proven wrong on a cold, cold night.

If we are to lose then I won't be happy unless more than one Lion is throwing up from exhaustion. If we are lacking composure and executing poorly, at least bust your gut chasing and going in hard to win the ball.
Nice cameo "madpunter":cool:

KEY MATCHUPS
Raines vs Murphy

Hudson vs Kruezer
This will be a tough game for Hudson as Kruezer is clearly more athletic and poses a threat down forward. Hopefully Huddo can outmuscle him to negate his influence and Patful or Merrett to follow him down forward. This is where Maric killed us last week and the same mistakes cannot be made again

Adcock vs Betts
Adcock lost out to Milne a few weeks ago in what was one of his harder games over the years. Stopping Betts will be a key. He has consistently beaten us over the years and stopping those 2-4 sneaky goals he kicks will be critical in holding onto any momentum we may gain.

Carlton’s season hangs by a thread and it would be glorious to see the lions end it for them, just like that beautiful day in 2009.

Lions by 24 points.

Nice work Spaz.

This is a week where I think it would be worthwhile bringing Longer in. Kruezer is ordinary at best in the ruck contest and Billy I think could hold his own. Around the ground Billy has more of a chance of going with Kruezer. FWIW I think Kruezer will not be have a major influence on the game and the match up suits Longer so I would play him.

On Betts we need someone with some pace and that is not Jed. Golby would be very handy if he is back to fitness (looking unlikely) so I would move Hanley back there. He has been down on possessions on the wing the last couple of weeks and I think is needed at the back. Having Hanley on Betts would also force Betts to expend a lot of energy matching up on Hanley.

Teams have discovered the key to beating Carlton. Its not shutting down their inside game like many previously have tried to do its shutting down the outside runners. Stop Simpson, Scotland and Murphy and you will beat Carlton. Matching up outside is not something we do well but this is definately a game that is for the taking if we can get our act together in this regard.

Inside we need to win our fair share of the ball. Without Judd we have a chance. Hopefully we can stand up and please Vossy actually play your inside midfielders in the middle. Don't have your tall utilities in there (eg Lester) or at centre bounces have two negating players in there who have little interest in actually winning the ball (Raines and Polkinghorne). Attack and go with 3 ball winners like Black, Rocky, Greene, Harwood, Zorko and Rich. Let the defensive players work in from outside the square.

My changes

Ins: Maguire, Beams, Docherty, Dyson
Outs: Crisp, Banfield, Wrigley, Polkinghorne

Crisp is getting to the stage where he needs a rest. He has just been holding on the last couple of weeks. Time to give someone else a go. Banfield has not looked up to it since returning from injury and Dyson has been killing it in the ressies so I bring Dyson in for Banfield to see if he is up to it. Wrigley has been given a couple of weeks but has not really seized his opportunity. There are a few guys lining up for that role and I would give Docherty a taste given he would be in the long term plans and getting some games into him now will help. Polkinghorne seems to be the guy who plays the role I have earmarked for Beams. Polkinghorne has shown not enough over the year for his experience level and I would give Beams a run.

I believe in giving guys a couple of weeks when you call them up and so I retain Karnezis and Lisle in the firsts. Karnezis struggled last week but he is playing a new role at that level and needs a bit of time to find his feet. He should know what is coming this week and longer term it is worthwhile seeing how he responds. It is not going to hurt Lester having another week in the ressies getting possessions at will and building his confidence.

Lions have been very poor last few weeks. We peaked with our wins against the Eagles, Dogs and Demons, and even the Hawks game was pretty good, at least for a half, anyway, and we were very good against STK, but it's been steadily down hill since then.
But then for 10 minutes in the 4th quarter against Richmond they were equal to or greater than the successful mid-year period. I think concentration is waning. Not surprising, given the length of the season and the youth in our team.

Glad the Duritz account is getting a workout again :thumbsu:

Attack and go with 3 ball winners like Black, Rocky, Greene, Harwood, Zorko and Rich. Let the defensive players work in from outside the square.

So that's why he's not playing for GWS this week :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back