Emg: Dennis Armfield, Blaine Johnson, Matthew Watson

GEELONG
B:
James Kelly, Tom Lonergan, Corey Enright
HB: Andrew Mackie, Jared Rivers, Cameron Guthrie
C: Jordan Murdoch, Joel Selwood, Travis Varcoe
HF: Steven Motlop, Harry Taylor, Mathew Stokes
F Shane Kersten, Tom Hawkins, Allen Christensen
Fol Hamish McIntosh, Mitch Duncan, Josh Caddy.
I/C Jed Bews, Mark Blicavs, George Horlin-Smith, Billie Smedts.
Emg Mitch Brown, Brad Hartman, Jackson Thurlow
In Jed Bews, Billie Smedts.
Out Jimmy Bartel (Corked Thigh), Steve Johnson (Foot)

Last edited:
I hope the Carlton Football Club win this match of AFL football. Here's to a great game chaps, may the best team win, see you after the game for a glass of your finest vodka-red bull! :)

Though Carlton haven't gotten up against the Cats recently, the games are always super-close (as shown in the OP) and they've been a genuine danger-game for Geelong through it's successful era. Their small forwards have always troubled us and they seem to find a way to often curb our stars.

Hoping for a good game tonight - with a less tense finish than usual!

A must win game for the Cats to keep our buffer intact for next weeks game against the Hawks so it won't hurt the Cats ladder position if they lose that match. But lose the next two games and Geelong could drop down the ladder given how tight things are. Carlton were fuming after their loss last time, and while they have shown improvement in recent weeks it must be said - so have Geelong. Without Johnson & Bartel weakens the line up a bit, but I expect the Cats to get the job done.

Geelong by 22

Even though we match up well against them, the Cats have much more to play for.

Geelong by 15-20 points, although it could be closer if the umpires decide to pay holding the ball against them this time around.

Strange, but not sure who I want to win this game.

Carlton would be good as it gives us a buffer over the Cats, but if lose the next couple we could be travelling too Perth for a final.

If the Cats win, it probably means we are more than likely going to finish 2nd or 3rd meaning a guaranteed final at the MCG which would obviously be preferrable.

Be nice if it's as good a game as last time they played though. I like when we get a good game on Friday night.

it could be closer if the umpires decide to pay holding the ball against them this time around.

Yet statistically, Carlton have averaged more free kicks per game than Geelong this season. Don't start blaming the umpires before the game even starts. That's pretty weak.

Yet statistically, Carlton have averaged more free kicks per game than Geelong this season. Don't start blaming the umpires before the game even starts. That's pretty weak.

it's not really geelong as a whole it's just selwood who's the darling of the umps. funnily enough murphy and selwood lead the league by considerable distance in frees for per game. given that stat making jokes about selwood frees just doesn't seem right....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in the minority of thinking Selwood doesn't do it to get free kicks, he does it to break free and set up play. Example: kicking the winner against Carlton this year, got rid of the tackle, burst through and kicks the goal.

Selwood would be 3 or 4 on my list to have at Essendon from another club (other 3 would be Ablett, Hawkins and Buddy)

Sensitive much?

I was referring specifically to our last encounter, where any neutral will tell you - we were reamed by the umpires, I couldn't care less that we average more over the year.

It was a throw-away comment, no need to get so defensive.

Blue baggers will get the 4 points. No Stevie J, No Bartel, been stiff in recent times vs the cats. After that hard fight vs the dockers last week tonight will be a let down for them.

CAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRLLTOOOOOON to get the job done. Juddy will turn it on tonight. Waite will snag a bag, blues to get tha biccies.

I'm in the minority of thinking Selwood doesn't do it to get free kicks, he does it to break free and set up play. Example: kicking the winner against Carlton this year, got rid of the tackle, burst through and kicks the goal.

Selwood would be 3 or 4 on my list to have at Essendon from another club (other 3 would be Ablett, Hawkins and Buddy)

You've just made my day. Great to see a neutral supporter acknowledge this, rather than blindly following the herd.

Sensitive much?

I was referring specifically to our last encounter, where any neutral will tell you - we were reamed by the umpires, I couldn't care less that we average more over the year.

It was a throw-away comment, no need to get so defensive.
You're the one already complaining about the umpires before the game even starts. o_O Nigel Lappin says Hi! :p

I think he does do it occasionally to get a free kick, but not as much as what the idiot haters think he does. Even when he gets a genuine free kick people think he must've ducked for it. A classic case of people only seeing what they want to see.

There are plenty of times he uses the duck to wriggle free.
But take your blinkers off, there are also plenty where he ducks purely to get a free kick.

Yeah, I can't really disagree with that - but I think nearly all players do it at certain stages. My view is that Selwood has a reputation as being by far the worst culprit for ducking purely to get a free kick, but I think if you took away all the instances where he is just trying to break the tackle (which is the majority, according to my biased eyes), I don't think he would even be close to the worst.

In any case, I probably should have left it alone, since this is not really the thread for it.

Cats by under 4 goals.

Yeah, I can't really disagree with that - but I think nearly all players do it at certain stages. My view is that Selwood has a reputation as being by far the worst culprit for ducking purely to get a free kick, but I think if you took away all the instances where he is just trying to break the tackle (which is the majority, according to my biased eyes), I don't think he would even be close to the worst.

In any case, I probably should have left it alone, since this is not really the thread for it.

Cats by under 4 goals.

Its coz he started it, patented it.
Meh doesnt worry me, until we play Geelong and the umps fall for it.
Thats where the anger should be directed, at the umps for not knowing better...

I think Cats in a real close one - 9 points.

Carlton ranked 2nd in free kicks for.
Geelong ranked 7th in free kicks for.

Carlton ranked 18th for free kicks against.
Geelong ranked 11th for free kicks against.

Marc Murphy averages 2.8 frees per game.
Joel Selwood averages 2.6 frees per game.

Don't let the facts spoil the arguement :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back