Carlton versus Geelong: rnd 21, Etihad Stadium Fri 15/8 @ 7.50PM EST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People arguing that the free kick on Christensen was there must have tunnel vision. Sure by the books you could have justified it, but then you also have to take into account the hundreds of contests that have been unpaid from the start of this season where the level of interference was much greater. Don't pick and choose your examples when its convenient to you.

Also any Geelong fan's opinion has no merit about this incident due to obvious bias.

Furthermore I couldn't care less if it got Geelong over the night or not, but come grand final day nobody wants to see the poor call of an umpire get a team over the line, this match should be treated no different.

You said "it was even game. geelong got upper hand in the end because of carlton's injuries."
You'll have to forgive me for bringing facts into the discussion!
Geelong didn't win because of Carlton's injuries, we won because we scored more points on the scoreboard. Remember, Geelong had two big guns out tonight due to injury - Bartel + SJ.
I said "McIntosh and Blitz combined for 31 hitouts, 35 possessions, 14 marks and 2.3 on the scoreboard.
Carlton's ruckmen Wood and Casboult combined for 25 hitouts, 14 possessions, 5 marks and had no impact on the scoreboard." This was one area where we exerted strength. As for Selwood? Selwood was pivotal in the first half, + it's OK he was uncharacteristically quiet in the second half. After all, Selwood still managed to have more disposals than Murphy. The fact is Geelong won the game + not because of Carlton's injuries or the umpiring.

missing midifleders, doesn't and never has made a much difference. both SJ and bartel played in round 12 while we were missing judd and we actaully got closer. only structural players make significant difference. having 3 players get injured during the game is far worse because it destroys the rotations.

geelongs ruckmen were much better around the ground, but carlton won the clearances from centre and from stoppages. the difference was geelongs defenders not allowing marks inside 50. harry taylor did an an amazing job. we still managed to scored quite consistently when entering 50 but it mostly crumbing and running goals.

And i did. I didnt see a hand in the back. I saw a forearm in his back and his spoil was no where near the arms when the attempt at a mark was taken. Looked a little like a dive (not thomas style but a slightly exaggerated) but no hand in the back.

And what exactly is it that causes Christensens arms to jar violently sideways at the point where he should be taking the mark?

Or is that the dive part you're idiotically referring to? Fair dinkum.

Not correct but re-evaluate.. The free was for chopping his arms. The Carlton defender made contact with Christensen's upper arms, in effect causing him to miss the mark.

I'n not sure anyone is 100% it was a free kick, given the argument to all afcets of the game!
Then why does the umpire say "in the back" after the whistle? If it was for chopping the arms, shouldn't had he said that?

I agree that it was soft. In plenty of games it wouldn't be paid. But it's unfair to isolate one free kick just because it happened towards the end of the game without failing to ignore other frees that were paid during the game. Yes, we were lucky that one fell our way BUT we were equally unlucky on several other occasions during the game as well.

And what exactly is it that causes Christensens arms to jar violently sideways at the point where he should be taking the mark?

Or is that the dive part you're idiotically referring to? Fair dinkum.
The ball was basically already out of reach before the hand hit his arm and it didnt jar violently.

No the dive was for the flailing after he clearly missed the ball

I give up on all this justification. I hope Geelong get smacked from here on end. The umpire 20 meters out called it play on if Christensen beat Docherty to a footrace or span him around and kicked a goal so be it. Beat him on talent and skill not on the softest of free kicks which Menzel got slammed to the ground dying minutes wasn't paid.. Lappin infringing play wasn't paid and yet the softest of free kicks where closest umpire called play on was paid. WTF.

And again: if Hawkins had not been called to play on (in what has to be a contender for the worst umpiring decision of the season) with seven minutes to go in that game, the margin would have been double figures, by the time the Rivers/Menzel and Lappin incidents occurred.

I agree that it was soft. In plenty of games it wouldn't be paid. But it's unfair to isolate one free kick just because it happened towards the end of the game without failing to ignore other frees that were paid during the game. Yes, we were lucky that one fell our way BUT we were equally unlucky on several other occasions during the game as well.

Only gets talked about because it's the last goal of the game. The free Menzel got in the game was way softer....

There's no hope.
Of what? I am trying to see your side here too and be objective. His arm did not jar violently like you said. The fist did not stop the marking attempt. The free was called for in the back so arguing about chopping the arms is irrelevant.

This is all from the footage you guys linked too btw. I dont hate Geelong so i am not already biased on this.

Regardless of the validity (or otherwise) of THAT decision, nobody can deny that the Cats are 2014's masters of the close game. They're top today because they know how to win the close ones. I just wish Port was as composed when it matters most: we've lost 4 games by 7 points or less. Win those and we'd challenging for top spot!!!!!

Then why does the umpire say "in the back" after the whistle? If it was for chopping the arms, shouldn't had he said that?

My apologies mate.. I just rewatched the vid and the umpire clearly said "pushed". I originally thought Commetti had just mis interpretated the decision.

At the end of the day this doesn't change the outcome or my argument, although it does further blur the lines of technicality!

Moreso now, I think you can feel pretty hard done by if you're a Carlton supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My apologies mate.. I just rewatched the vid and the umpire clearly said "pushed". I originally thought Commetti had just mis interpretated the decision.

At the end of the day this doesn't change the outcome or my argument, although it does further blur the lines of technicality!

Moreso now, I think you can feel pretty hard done by if you're a Carlton supporter.
Dont worry mate. Nice to have a spirited discussion with no one getting attacked :)

Completely agree on both points.

Of what? I am trying to see your side here too and be objective. His arm did not jar violently like you said. The fist did not stop the marking attempt. The free was called for in the back so arguing about chopping the arms is irrelevant.

This is all from the footage you guys linked too btw. I dont hate Geelong so i am not already biased on this.

Don't worry, its what narrow minded people say when people don't agree with them.

The umpire closest to the Christensen contest should have waved play-on, to indicate to the other umpires he has seen the contest and though it was all OK. I've watched the replay a couple of times this morning, and he doesn't appear to do anything, perhaps leading to the other umpire thinking he didn't see it.

Thats 3 wins & 12 points in a row courtesy of the AFL/Umpires department 4 The CATS!....Clear & distinct agenda operating here....On top of the ladder with a percentage befitting an 8th/9th place team says it all really!

This competition has now become an unmitigated & unprecedented Joke!

Cool so Christensen just dropped a sitter then dived you reckon? Yeah no worries.

Maybe try the slowmo, I dunno.

Thats 3 wins & 12 points in a row courtesy of the AFL/Umpires department 4 The CATS!....Clear & distinct agenda operating here....On top of the ladder with a percentage befitting an 8th/9th place team says it all really!

This competition has now become an unmitigated & unprecedented Joke!
Hawthorn might as well forfeit the season right now then ay, why would they want to associate themselves with a joke of a competition? If it is so clear the umpires are playing favourites then surely a boycott is in order! Justice for the Hawks' interests!

Cool so Christensen just dropped a sitter then dived you reckon? Yeah no worries.

Maybe try the slowmo, I dunno.
It wasnt a sitter. I dont think he wouldve got it with no one around him. It was just out of his reach. No fault on skill. Just too high for him. And yeah. He felt something in his back and made it look bigger than it probably was. Not like Thomas but it looked exaggerated to me.

Just on Carlton - how many games this year team lost by under 10 points? About 4-5?

Usually that's a sign a team can improve following year pretty significantly if can break even on those results.

Hmmm the theory is OK but not sure if it applies to a side where 3 of those losses have been to Melbourne, GWS and Brisbane.

Unless they lost by more to those teams?

Geelong are pretty much taking over from west coast... ducking and getting cheap frees. Losing the respect they got over the last 10 years quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back