Preview Carlton vs Richmond: A Historical Perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

This season I will be trialing a new series of threads which focus on Carlton's matches each week from a historical perspective.

I am relatively young but if there is one thing I have learned about the Carlton community as a whole, it is that nothing quite gels us together like the proud history of our great club. We all share a special bond as Carlton supporters but when invited to discuss and reminisce about the Blues of past eras, a real sense of pride and admiration seems to strengthen that bond.

This thread is an open invitation to all Carlton supporters to share your favourite memories relating to Carlton and our opponents for this round - Richmond. Got a favourite game, moment or passage of play or individual player performance against Ricmond? Tell us all about it in this thread. If you have a favourite relevant picture or video, this is the place to share it with all of us.

To enhance the thread I have asked The_Wookie to chime in on a weekly basis and provide some relevant video content to really get us going.

This is a new initiative for the Carlton board and hopefully it is something we can continue throughout the season. Any ideas as to how you would like to see this thread enhanced in future weeks are absolutely welcomed and will be taken on board so please share.

One last thing - as I am now a mod I have to insist that this thread remains clean and relevant. I will be active in deleting discussion that I deem to have no relevance. To all opposition supporters - you are welcome here but you do so in full understanding that you may not like the content of these threads. Trolling or baiting will be dealt with accordingly. However if you are here to engage in genuine relevant discussion then we welcome you with open arms.

Now that is out of the way - let's get reminiscing!

The first VFL/AFL game I ever saw live was Carlton v Richmond Round 2 1979. It was a late introduction after coming over from NZ as a kid and spending time in Perth.

I only remember little things about the game, such as marvelling at the size of the MCG and the noice of a 60k strong crowd. I also remember Mark Maclure standing out. Looking back at the stats, he had 13 disposals, 9 marks and 3 goals, so a solid day but I remembered him more than anyone that day.

I also discovered it was played on a Monday, presumably Easter Monday, but a bit of a rarity those days I would have thought.

Oh and Carlton won by 51 points, a fine introduction. Keogh, Harmes, Armstrong and Collins also had great games.

Strangely little of my early Footy memories involve Richmond, having been too young to remember them when they were strong. ..

So the only memories I have are recent ones. ..

- Jeffy's intercept and goal
- Yazza's boundary run
- Several other Delidio turn overs to hand us momentum
and
- Last years demoralising (for Richmond) win with so many out injured (incl. Brocks pass/goal)

Carlton and Richmond have clashed 14 times in Round 1 with the ledger standing in favour of Carlton at 9 wins, 4 losses and 1 draw.

Great idea J ... Hard to pick a carlton v richmond memory there is so many!! But have selected the '82 grand final, above the last 4 minutes, it was fantastic we went back to back that year !! (Says gazing off into the distance with a watery eye)
Watch for Rob Wiley in the clip and stupid old KB....
The Dominator was BOG..and Helen D'Amico a stripper from Adelaide ran on the ground in the final quarter with only a blues scarf on and hugged Bruce Doull !

Richmonds last GF appearance ..

Still haunted by that terrible day in '05. 44 points down at quarter time, ended up losing by 85. Dad was going through some tough stuff at the time and just wanted to be away from home, so we just sat in the Ponsford Stand the whole game and watched us get demolished. Setanta's debut too I seem to remember.

Since then I've been to every game of the streak so far, the day we beat them by 100+ when they announced the Fighting Tiger Fund was the sweetest of all.

Great idea J ... Hard to pick a carlton v richmond memory there is so many!! But have selected the '82 grand final, above the last 4 minutes, it was fantastic we went back to back that year !! (Says gazing off into the distance with a watery eye)
The Dominator was BOG..and Helen D'Amico a stripper from Adelaide ran on the ground in the final quarter with only a blues scarf on and hugged Bruce Doull !

That is the one I would have selected as well esky and the fact that it was Richmond's LAST Grand Final appearance.

What a day that was !!!!

Still haunted by that terrible day in '05. 44 points down at quarter time, ended up losing by 85. Dad was going through some tough stuff at the time and just wanted to be away from home, so we just sat in the Ponsford Stand the whole game and watched us get demolished. Setanta's debut too I seem to remember.

Since then I've been to every game of the streak so far, the day we beat them by 100+ when they announced the Fighting Tiger Fund was the sweetest of all.

Shocking day, and yes it was Setanta's debut. IIRC he kicked a goal with his one and only touch for the day.

I remember leaving at half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocking day, and yes it was Setanta's debut. IIRC he kicked a goal with his one and only touch for the day.

I remember leaving at half time.

Probably one of our worst performances in the past ten years. Just uncompetitive across the ground. I think from memory Matty Lappin kicked our first goal about a minute out from half time. That and the Semi Final loss in 2001 would be the worst two games I've been to against Richmond. On the plus side, been to every one of the streak and the Cousins game in 2009 just had an incredible atmosphere. The 2011 100 point win was also pretty sweet.

The day that haunts me is the semi final of 2001. Dirty windy day when no team was able to play well and we couldn't get on top of them but they couldn't put us away. All hope was lost when our eventual B&F winner Kouta went down with an ACL injury.

We have a great history against them with hopes being raised and dashed in round one clashes in recent years, some memorable grand finals and some very spiteful clashes in the '70s.

The day that haunts me is the semi final of 2001. Dirty windy day when no team was able to play well and we couldn't get on top of them but they couldn't put us away. All hope was lost when our eventual B&F winner Kouta went down with an ACL injury.

We have a great history against them with hopes being raised and dashed in round one clashes in recent years, some memorable grand finals and some very spiteful clashes in the '70s.

That day also haunts me as it was the day my Dad stopped talking to my best-mates father. He is a die-hard Richmond supporter, so the train ride home was bad enough with the gloating, but the final straw was him delighting in the fact that Kouta had done his knee. I can vividly remember my Dad not saying another word the whole train ride home. 12 years later, and they've maybe seen each other 10 times and I can honestly say I don't think my old man has said more than a handful of words to him. Nor have I. Bastard.

The upside is it's made each of this last 8 wins in a row so much sweeter.

That day also haunts me as it was the day my Dad stopped talking to my best-mates father. He is a die-hard Richmond supporter, so the train ride home was bad enough with the gloating, but the final straw was him delighting in the fact that Kouta had done his knee. I can vividly remember my Dad not saying another word the whole train ride home. 12 years later, and they've maybe seen each other 10 times and I can honestly say I don't think my old man has said more than a handful of words to him. Nor have I. Bastard.

The upside is it's made each of this last 8 wins in a row so much sweeter.

The Richmond crowd was disgusting that day revelling in loud voice when Kouta was being stretchered off the ground. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I will never forget it.

Yes very spiteful...Neil Bloody Balme comes to mind ...
That dirty filthy &$¥!?

Only last week Geoff was made a Carlton legend and well deserved

Greatest memory -

Being taken to the '72 Grand Final with my grandparents as a 7 year old. Sat at the City end about seven rows back but snuck down to stand on the fence. Watched in awe as Jezza, Big Nick and Bobby Walls took Richmond to the cleaners !!!

Worst Memory

Arriving home after being flogged in the '73 Grand Final and seeing my hero Geoff Southby knocked out. As we got out of the car the old Richmond supporting bitch next door yelled out 'Good on ya Roycie baby !!'.

Got a picture of that framed in my house.

I reckon my most jarring and numb memory is round 22, 1997. My memories of that day are vague but I vividly remember sitting with my head in my hands in the Pratt stand in the dying minutes. We needed to beat them to make the finals and were 7 goals up at one stage. Injuries mounted and we got done by 2 points....shocking, shocking day!!

I reckon my most jarring and numb memory is round 22, 1997. My memories of that day are vague but I vividly remember sitting with my head in my hands in the Pratt stand in the dying minutes. We needed to beat them to make the finals and were 7 goals up at one stage. Injuries mounted and we got done by 2 points....shocking, shocking day!!

Yeah I remember that one. I think we needed the win to make finals. I was listening at home on radio.. as the final siren started, so did the phone. Bloody Tiger supporting mates are just about the worst. I pulled the phone out of the wall and left it unplugged for the rest of the night. We still swap sledge texts, though he's been a bit quiet the last few years.

In the end losing that game was probably a blessing in disguise. We were so battered & bruised after the game we would most likely have been smashed in the first week of the finals.

My first memory of Carlton v Richmond clashes is the 1969 GF. I was only 6 at the time & listened to the game on the radio with my older brother. With us having the lead at 3/4 time I just assumed we were going to win & it took quite a bit of patience from my brother to explain afterwards why we hadn't won. It just didn't make sense to a 6 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back