Carlton want to move back to Princes Park

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The big question is what are the AFL going to do when they run Etihad? Do they appoint the management of it to an independent body? How do they work out a stadium deal that allows Etihad to make enough money to pay for continued upgrades versus how do they provide a fair return to the clubs who host games there.

If the MCG and Etihad don't find long term successful stadium deals then there could be room for a 3rd Melbourne stadium.

There's clearly going to be plenty of games with crowds ranging from 15-25k. If Etihad and the MCG don't put a fair deal to the clubs or if the stadiums don't think it's worth it for them to host those games then maybe a 3rd stadium gets the go ahead. Options would be:

Junction oval (St Kilda, possibly Melb, North)
Princess Park (Carl, possibly North, Melb, WB)
Casey fields (Melb, St Kilda, maybe Hawthorn if they get booted from Tassie)

Just hard to justify the 100mil redevelopment based on 10 games a year. Not sure which Government would get fooled in to that.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
In theory, and in an ideal world, a fully upgraded (think Kardinia or Metricon) 30,000 capacity Princes Park would be bloody perfect for a great many games in Melbourne. Blues, Roos, Bulldogs and maybe even the Demons could all play interstate sides out of there.

It's a shame it would cost so much to be upgraded, and as stated up thread, the AFL would be cannabilizing future profits from Etihad and would never let it happen, nor would the local residents give it the thumbs up by the sounds of things.

Such a shame.

Wouldnt call it a shame, I'd call it basic economics. A new stadium that can hold 50,000 people in all weather conditions and close to ttransport can certainly hold 15 or 20,000 people in the same weather conditions. I just dont get this "we need a boutique stadium because we dont have a ground that holds 20,000" mentality. Its just nonsense.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
This might answer the AFL's current problem with the game, it might actually be the modern supporters fault? Spoiled rotten by the redeveloped MCG and the comfy roof over your head Etihad Stadium? God help those fans down at the cattery and interstate who have to put up with an open air stadium to play on. We're talking about a stadium 4km away from the heart of the Melbourne CBD. I'm a realist, i know Princes Park will never be used again and what a shame that is for our privileged modern day football supporters! They will never know the ritual of going to the football in suburban Melbourne. Tear the place down and build some apartments, that'll do it. I can see the billboard now, 4km from the CBD, close to all amenities, high rise living with the city at your doorstep. Roll up, roll up and get yourself a slice of the Princes Park estate! I say play football there instead! Should be 6-8 games there a year.
If you want the tribal ritual, get down to North Port, or Point Gellibrand, or Preston City Oval - thats what they are there for! Hell, you can even experience "the old days" with AFL reserves sides at their old VFL stomping grounds. AFL is a 21st century game, and people aren't going to pay $24 to sit on a frigid metal bench behind the goals at Princes Park with bugger all view.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
If you want the tribal ritual, get down to North Port, or Point Gellibrand, or Preston City Oval - thats what they are there for! Hell, you can even experience "the old days" with AFL reserves sides at their old VFL stomping grounds. AFL is a 21st century game, and people aren't going to pay $24 to sit on a frigid metal bench behind the goals at Princes Park with bugger all view.

Or standing on beer cans and yelling out at players from the outer with a beer 'n pie in hand, then racing home after the game to catch the Saturday Night replay.

Why not that 30K e-Gate Stadium plan (with a Metricon sort of feel to it with grass hill).......MCG 100K, Etihad 50K, eGate 30K.

Play one game a round at it either Saturday or Sunday afternoon. (No night games)

No point trying to work with stadiums with Heritage stuff on them now.

PumpyChowdown

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2007
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SUNS Maple Leafs Titans Liverpool
Why not that 30K e-Gate Stadium plan (with a Metricon sort of feel to it with grass hill).......MCG 100K, Etihad 50K, eGate 30K.

Play one game a round at it either Saturday or Sunday afternoon. (No night games)

No point trying to work with stadiums with Heritage stuff on them now.

You mean this one?

Ajph8QA.jpg

H7nXVf4.jpg

Or standing on beer cans and yelling out at players from the outer with a beer 'n pie in hand, then racing home after the game to catch the Saturday Night replay.

Oh the memories.
The Saturday night hour replay I think it was.

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
When I was a kid and Carlton were losing every game I remember going to princes park, sitting near the social club on the 2nd level behind the goals

Vince Colosimo would always be standing in the walkway below us

It really was a s**t hole though, I used to feel really wierd about eating any of the food there etc.

I remember the last game against Melbourne, pretty sure it was the same day the s**t pies beat an unbeatable West Coast at the MCG. What a horrid day all round. The crowd singing the club song in the final quarter was pretty cool though, depsite losing the game.

We were in a room next to the stair case near the club rooms and in between the social club, so players would filter through after every game and stop by for 10m to chat with ppl in the room then move onto the social club. Fev would always pinch the food they layed out after the game, literally hand fulls of it, take photos with all the kids then leave

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Is it really? I just go and watch a local game when ever i can, it wreaks of atmosphere, the smell of the pie stand etc, people appear to have much more fun than the regimented way of entering the footy at AFL level these days. 21st century footy? what is that exactly? s**t, i can remember when i could walk half way around the MCG at half time just for the fun of it, nowadays they have you araldited to your seat. Footy was always a game for the fans, if that has changed in the 21st century then the AFL really do have their head up their own arse.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Is it really? I just go and watch a local game when ever i can, it wreaks of atmosphere, the smell of the pie stand etc, people appear to have much more fun than the regimented way of entering the footy at AFL level these days. 21st century footy? what is that exactly? s**t, i can remember when i could walk half way around the MCG at half time just for the fun of it, nowadays they have you araldited to your seat. Footy was always a game for the fans, if that has changed in the 21st century then the AFL really do have their head up their own arse.

I agree, this actually goes to reinforce my point. The AFL is a multi-billion dollar business, and as such, demands and receives world class facilities. The "footy" played at local level, or even at state league level, is a completely different game, and expectations (and prices) are lower, therefore they can get away with lower standard facilities.

The AFL is as different from local leagues as McDonalds is to a food truck, and the facilities reflect as such. You wouldn't buy Maccas out of a van, nor would you play AFL at Princes park.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldnt call it a shame, I'd call it basic economics. A new stadium that can hold 50,000 people in all weather conditions and close to ttransport can certainly hold 15 or 20,000 people in the same weather conditions. I just dont get this "we need a boutique stadium because we dont have a ground that holds 20,000" mentality. Its just nonsense.

In fairness, I think the idea of a third stadium has some merit, as it would give the AFL a huge amount of flexibility with the structuring of the Victorian games over a weekend. It's just that if they did get a third stadium up, it wouldn't make sense for it to have a 50,000+ seated capacity.

But if the argument is that people think we need a 20-25,000 seat stadium, because games with an attendance of 20,000 look bad at Etihad, than you're absolutely right. It is absurd.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
In fairness, I think the idea of a third stadium has some merit, as it would give the AFL a huge amount of flexibility with the structuring of the Victorian games over a weekend. It's just that if they did get a third stadium up, it wouldn't make sense for it to have a 50,000+ seated capacity.

But if the argument is that people think we need a 20-25,000 seat stadium, because games with an attendance of 20,000 look bad at Etihad, than you're absolutely right. It is absurd.

Thats a different argument but even then I dont think it has merit. The MCG and Etihad combined with the Cattery have enough capacity when you exclude home games played interstate by Vic clubs. Perhaps if the Tassie government was to pull sponsorship tomorrow and we needed to accomodate more games in Melbourne then the argument would have a base.

Even then in that extreme situation the cheaper and smarter solution would be to play some North or Footscray home games in Geelong, rather than redevelop Princes PArk.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't been to Princess Park, but have you been to Patterson's? :/ (genuine question, as I'm intrigued that there are worse ones out there)
No I heven't but the new stand a Princess Park is shocking, there are no lights most of the old stands look like they are about to fall down. s**t place to watch footy. At least Subi is getting superseded soon. There is no way elite sport could be played at Princess Park shocking ground

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If they can redevelop it up to 40k odd it'd be absolutely fantastic. Hate that there's only two grounds in the supposed home of football.

It already has 27k capacity without much effort. So not much required to spend there but parking at Princes Park is just a massive issue and the only way around it is a very expensive multi-tier parking lot which the local council will likely never approve, unfortunately.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It already has 27k capacity without much effort. So not much required to spend there but parking at Princes Park is just a massive issue and the only way around it is a very expensive multi-tier parking lot which the local council will likely never approve, unfortunately.
There is a lot that needs doing all the old stands need to go they need to redevelop the new stand because that is shocking. Also where would Carlton get the money from seeing that they can not even turn a profit

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
There is a lot that needs doing all the old stands need to go they need to redevelop the new stand because that is shocking. Also where would Carlton get the money from seeing that they can not even turn a profit

Stadium naming right, stand naming rights goes into the millions. An owner of the Bruce Doull Bar for example would fetch six digits to own. Taking out 30 year bonds on low interest rates will not be a problem as every game Carlton plays at Princes Park profitability is exponential at quite a large margin in comparison to the Arab Stadium.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stadium naming right, stand naming rights goes into the millions. An owner of the Bruce Doull Bar for example would fetch six digits to own. Taking out 30 year bonds on low interest rates will not be a problem as every game Carlton plays at Princes Park profitability is exponential at quite a large margin in comparison to the Arab Stadium.
You lost me when you got to the Arab stadium. Dont get me wrong I would like to see a return to suburban. I would love to see Collingwood at Victoria Park but I just don't think as of yet AFL clubs have that sort of financial power. How big would you make this stadium?

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not going to happen.

But the way some of you are carrying on it's as if you think no renovations or changes would be made before it did happen. It's like you think the way it is now is the way it HAS TO BE if it ever got the go ahead.

Back