Carlton's 5 Important Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it depends how you define important.

To me, Henderson is more important than Levi because if Hendo is out for some reason then our goals are much harder to come by. If Levi is out...then contested marks are harder to come by but not necessarily goals. It is important than Hendo plays every game.

Right now Gibbs is our best player, so it is madness he isn't in that list
Bryce is a top class midfielder but can also go back if needed, or even shut down a player if needed
The fact he has so many strings to his bow arguably makes him our most important player

Murphy is an obvious one

I'd have Yarran in there too, as his silk is often what can break a game open for us
He is the unequivocal class factor of our side

You've got to have Henderson in the 5 because he is the our best swingman

And I would round the 5 out with Simpson because of his consistency and durability
You need experienced players who just keep on going, nearly every week giving you that level of commitment
And you can tell by the look on his face when we don't play well jut how gutted he is
It means as much to him as any other player if not more IMO
Take him out and we are a lot poorer a team

The five for me are -

Murphy
Gibbs
Rowe (this guy is immense down back and more value than Jamison now)
Casboult - if he steps up, he can be a key to unlocking a huge season
Yarran

Right now Gibbs is our best player, so it is madness he isn't in that list
Bryce is a top class midfielder but can also go back if needed, or even shut down a player if needed
The fact he has so many strings to his bow arguably makes him our most important player

Murphy is an obvious one

I'd have Yarran in there too, as his silk is often what can break a game open for us
He is the unequivocal class factor of our side

You've got to have Henderson in the 5 because he is the our best swingman

And I would round the 5 out with Simpson because of his consistency and durability
You need experienced players who just keep on going, nearly every week giving you that level of commitment
And you can tell by the look on his face when we don't play well jut how gutted he is
It means as much to him as any other player if not more IMO
Take him out and we are a lot poorer a team
Is Tough to define to only 5 but id most likely replace yazz wit Jammo.

Herschelle
Murph
Simmo
Hendo

Jammo - I know Rowe has stepped up immensely but if Jammo can recapture his 2012-13 form where he was basically unbeatable in the air n setup a lot of attacks with long, precise kicking, we could climb into thst top 5 bracket within the next 2-3 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Tough to define to only 5 but id most likely replace yazz wit Jammo.

Herschelle
Murph
Simmo
Hendo

Jammo - I know Rowe has stepped up immensely but if Jammo can recapture his 2012-13 form where he was basically unbeatable in the air n setup a lot of attacks with long, precise kicking, we could climb into thst top 5 bracket within the next 2-3 years

Who's Herschelle?

1. Judd - he is still awesome to watch and makes the team so much better. Have a look at him shrug a tackle in the intra-club highlights. Awesome. Watch out 2015 JUDD is back!
2. Gibbs - Can do it all, and now he is the middle he is getting more time with the ball in hand but still seems to have an amazing amount of time to find a target in close. I believe he is our best kick for Goal and can handle pressure and remain composed.
3. Murphy - Felt the heavy tag this year and still not back in 2011 form (pre-injury) when he looked to be an AA midfielder. Hopefully the increased team depth will give hime some space to break out in 2015. If that happens we are not one-dimensional in the midfield.
4. Jamo - Always does the team job and stops his opponent. Shoulders look dodgy but he just keeps performing. He is the leader of our best back 6, and being able to interchange with KJ and Rowe allows him to handle aerobic beasts like Riewolt. We need him to stop opposition talls in 2015 (Rowe is developing nicely but Jamo in front).
5. Hendo - ability and potential are coming through. Flexibilty to lock it in up froward, good kick, safe hands. He is still young and has started to take some games apart, but needs to do it more consistently. If he can start collecting bags and shutting down key opposition tall defenders on the rebound, then we can start looking at Finals in 2015. Cas, Watson and jones all have potential but Hendo is a proven force and the guy we would miss most up forward.

Honourable mentions:
1. Simmo - all round leader and so consistent. Hugely under rated!
2. 1AW - missed his run in 2014. Love to see him and Menz kicking bags up forward and running through the middle as a bonus. Hope he knee is OK.
3. Yaz - line breaker, awesome to watch in full flight and prepared to take the game on. Probably our most exciting player with ball in hand.
4. Kruz - if we can get him on the park he has the potential to make our team significantly better. Can run with the mid-field, can kick, good hands, massive tank. If he plays from Round 6 to 22 we will be playing finals.
5. Doc- still developing his game but massive upside based on what he has shown so far. Good speed, can kick, good hands, composed, good tank, smart...
6. Daisy Thomas - if he can recapture previous form then we have another A grade midfielder. Solid now but if he gets back to his best it adds another gear to the team.

Huge Upside
1. Menz - breakout 2015 year?
2. Watson - can kick a goal from 60m out. We have not had a forward who can do that since Fev. Needs to get into the game and use his straight line speed and size to win the ball. A good mid field will make Watto look very good on the lead. Not agile enough for defence.
3. Jones - showed he can kick accurately for Dogs. If we give him space as a third tall MAY become more than useful. Has speed but I am worried about the rebound with Jones or Watto and Casboult in the team.
4. Casboult - great hands but must start kicking the goals and flattening defenders to stop the rebound. Relief ruck work is good.
5. Buckley - shown a bit in 2014. Can he come on in 2015 and shut down elite smalls?
6. Everitt - best big wingman prospect we have had since Kouta? Great utility.
7. Sheehan - loved what I saw in 2014, has speed and composure. Could become A grade, but work to be done on game smarts.
8. Thouhy - can only improve on 2014 and hope to see it in 2015.
9. Cripps - looking a beast already in 2015! If he can extract it we are an improved team as it frees Judd and Gibbs to take the handball.

Possible Downside:
1. carrots calve injuries rob us of a solid midfield. Hope he is OK in 2015.
2. 206 - injured, and I fear we have seen his best but hope he can get more involved in the game again.
3. Ellard - not been able to nail the defensive small forward role to date. His kicking was great in 2013 and poor in 2014. Hope 2015 is better.
4. Armfield - love his speed and tackling. He is good at set shots and has been in the system so knows his role. Very handy when on.

Overall plusses outweigh minus's in the Pre-season. Roll on 2015

1. Judd - he is still awesome to watch and makes the team so much better. Have a look at him shrug a tackle in the intra-club highlights. Awesome. Watch out 2015 JUDD is back!
2. Gibbs - Can do it all, and now he is the middle he is getting more time with the ball in hand but still seems to have an amazing amount of time to find a target in close. I believe he is our best kick for Goal and can handle pressure and remain composed.
3. Murphy - Felt the heavy tag this year and still not back in 2011 form (pre-injury) when he looked to be an AA midfielder. Hopefully the increased team depth will give hime some space to break out in 2015. If that happens we are not one-dimensional in the midfield.
4. Jamo - Always does the team job and stops his opponent. Shoulders look dodgy but he just keeps performing. He is the leader of our best back 6, and being able to interchange with KJ and Rowe allows him to handle aerobic beasts like Riewolt. We need him to stop opposition talls in 2015 (Rowe is developing nicely but Jamo in front).
5. Hendo - ability and potential are coming through. Flexibilty to lock it in up froward, good kick, safe hands. He is still young and has started to take some games apart, but needs to do it more consistently. If he can start collecting bags and shutting down key opposition tall defenders on the rebound, then we can start looking at Finals in 2015. Cas, Watson and jones all have potential but Hendo is a proven force and the guy we would miss most up forward.

Honourable mentions:
1. Simmo - all round leader and so consistent. Hugely under rated!
2. 1AW - missed his run in 2014. Love to see him and Menz kicking bags up forward and running through the middle as a bonus. Hope he knee is OK.
3. Yaz - line breaker, awesome to watch in full flight and prepared to take the game on. Probably our most exciting player with ball in hand.
4. Kruz - if we can get him on the park he has the potential to make our team significantly better. Can run with the mid-field, can kick, good hands, massive tank. If he plays from Round 6 to 22 we will be playing finals.
5. Doc- still developing his game but massive upside based on what he has shown so far. Good speed, can kick, good hands, composed, good tank, smart...
6. Daisy Thomas - if he can recapture previous form then we have another A grade midfielder. Solid now but if he gets back to his best it adds another gear to the team.

Huge Upside
1. Menz - breakout 2015 year?
2. Watson - can kick a goal from 60m out. We have not had a forward who can do that since Fev. Needs to get into the game and use his straight line speed and size to win the ball. A good mid field will make Watto look very good on the lead. Not agile enough for defence.
3. Jones - showed he can kick accurately for Dogs. If we give him space as a third tall MAY become more than useful. Has speed but I am worried about the rebound with Jones or Watto and Casboult in the team.
4. Casboult - great hands but must start kicking the goals and flattening defenders to stop the rebound. Relief ruck work is good.
5. Buckley - shown a bit in 2014. Can he come on in 2015 and shut down elite smalls?
6. Everitt - best big wingman prospect we have had since Kouta? Great utility.
7. Sheehan - loved what I saw in 2014, has speed and composure. Could become A grade, but work to be done on game smarts.
8. Thouhy - can only improve on 2014 and hope to see it in 2015.
9. Cripps - looking a beast already in 2015! If he can extract it we are an improved team as it frees Judd and Gibbs to take the handball.

Possible Downside:
1. carrots calve injuries rob us of a solid midfield. Hope he is OK in 2015.
2. 206 - injured, and I fear we have seen his best but hope he can get more involved in the game again.
3. Ellard - not been able to nail the defensive small forward role to date. His kicking was great in 2013 and poor in 2014. Hope 2015 is better.
4. Armfield - love his speed and tackling. He is good at set shots and has been in the system so knows his role. Very handy when on.

Overall plusses outweigh minus's in the Pre-season. Roll on 2015

Top 5 Important Players (not our best 5 players)

1. Rowe (without him at CHB we would struggle)
2. Gibbs (his work around the stoppages, quality ball use, and versatility, make him our best player)
3. Henderson (his ability to play forward or back and to take the key match-ups is vital for us)
4. Murphy (our captain, his best is very good)
5. Simpson (our leader and general down back, creative)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back