Carnaby's Cockatoos

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
For those that have time over in Perth, a heads up that ABC1 has quite a good show on at 8:30 tonight about Carnaby's Cockatoos (Calyptorhynchus latirostris) - it is only an hour, but if you enjoy WA's unique wildlife you might find it interesting.

Of course, you'd have to tear yourself away from the banter on Big Footy for a whole hour to watch it...

The struggles they face make you wonder how any of the birds last long enough to breed.

Kudos to both the crew that filmed it and the staff and volunteers who are doing so much to help the Carnaby's keep going aganst the odds.

BpG

I absolutely adore Cockatoos.

We're likely to have such awesome bird life here in the dry season. But those in the know say that all Cockatoos are reducing in number each year.

Doesn't help that Reg likes to shoot them.

Doesn't help that Reg likes to shoot them.

No such thing. My preferred weapon is the garden hose. I'm giving up anyway, by the time I get up in the morning they have already decimated the trees.

*Although I lived in a town where they used to have an annual cull, I was too young to get involved.

No such thing. My preferred weapon is the garden hose. I'm giving up anyway, by the time I get up in the morning they have already decimated the trees.

*Although I lived in a town where they used to have an annual cull, I was too young to get involved.

Now they just cull kids don't they?

For walking on your registered lawn.

I also don't believe you were ever too young for anything.

They were culling Carnaby's, were they??

Tell me more please Reg. I am intrigued.

They were culling Carnaby's, were they??

Tell me more please Reg. I am intrigued.

I won't name the town, but back in the seventies the equivalent of DEC (CALM or whatever they called themselves back then) used to issue a permit for the destruction of a certain number of black cockatoos, presumably because of the nuisance created by noise and tree damage for the local residents. I know not all black cockatoos are Carnabys, but I don't think they discriminated back then, and Carnaby's are known to live locally now, so its safe to assume a few got in the way.

The practice was stopped after publicity of an incident where a shot bird landed at the feet of a young girl at a nearby house.

I won't name the town, but back in the seventies the equivalent of DEC (CALM or whatever they called themselves back then) used to issue a permit for the destruction of a certain number of black cockatoos, presumably because of the nuisance created by noise and tree damage for the local residents. I know not all black cockatoos are Carnabys, but I don't think they discriminated back then, and Carnaby's are known to live locally now, so its safe to assume a few got in the way.

The practice was stopped after publicity of an incident where a shot bird landed at the feet of a young girl at a nearby house.

Name the town ya big NTTAWWT!

;)

Dwellingup??

Still big culls of Corellas and galahs in the wheatbelt. And rightly so.

I love cockatoos and parrots. They can be ****ing annoying though. It'll be a long hard road to change attitudes about these birds.

I called an end to the lemon and garden hose warfare but still haven't had a visit from any black cockatoos since.

I miss the big noisy bastards. I don't get any almonds anyway, and they were better to have around than the 28s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a sad story but they, along with the red tailed black cockatoos, are more prevalent in my area now (Melville) because their natural habitat has been destroyed by the construction of the Fiona Stanley Hospital and the urban sprawl southwards. They are being forced to compete for food, water and roosts with the much more aggressive rainbow lorikeets, corellas (the white cockies you see flocking everywhere now) and pink and grey gallahs. Local governments refuse to pay for culling activities because they think it's a State Government problem and DPaW are only interested in lands managed by them or rural areas where crops are threatened. The buck is continually passed between the two whilst these vermin reach plague proportions.

It's a sad story but they, along with the red tailed black cockatoos, are more prevalent in my area now (Melville) because their natural habitat has been destroyed by the construction of the Fiona Stanley Hospital and the urban sprawl southwards. They are being forced to compete for food, water and roosts with the much more aggressive rainbow lorikeets, corellas (the white cockies you see flocking everywhere now) and pink and grey gallahs. Local governments refuse to pay for culling activities because they think it's a State Government problem and DPaW are only interested in lands managed by them or rural areas where crops are threatened. The buck is continually passed between the two whilst these vermin reach plague proportions.

Just noticed this thread. They are named after my Grandmothers uncle. She's always proud of that little fact of family history.

I'm in Melville too and am always seeing flocks of them. Saw a flock of approx 30 (I counted) on Olding St a couple of weeks ago. They seem to be adapting to urban environments albeit with no choice.

We get the rainbow lorikeets in our backyard too and I am surprised their isn't more of them. Having lived in Canberra and visited many of the towns on the NSW coast, you see how they can breed up rapidly. They're everywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back