Teams Carolina Panthers - Cardiac Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carolina draft left me very confused. They didn't really go after our biggest need which was a quality Left tackle. Choosing to put a lot of faith in Michael Oher. I like Shaq Thompson but seems like a reach at 25. Devin Funchess looks a talent but is very similar to Benjamin and also has a high drop rate. The most troubling pick of all was the Linebacker in the 5th round. Surely some secondary depth was needed more. Oh well.

Tampa will be our biggest challenger this year if they can sort out their RB, yes i am serious. I really dont think the Saints or Falcons closed the gap at all, our true form was what you saw later in the year, Hardy distractions, secondary was a mess until we played the young guys with Harp and Cam was injured more than he was healthy all year. The O-Line just has to hold up and i can see us winning the division by 2 games +

Interested on fellow Panther fan's thoughts on Artis Payne seemingly named our #2 RB behind J.Stew, I was hoping to see Fozzy used more this year in a Sproles type role for us, underneath option with the vertical threats we now have.

Last edited:
Tampa will be our biggest challenger this year if they can sort out their RB, yes i am serious. I really dont think the Saints or Falcons closed the gap at all, our true form was what you saw later in the year, Hardy distractions, secondary was a mess until we played the young guys with Harp and Cam was injured more than he was healthy all year. The O-Line just has to hold up and i can see us winning the division by 2 games +

Interested on fellow Panther fan's thoughts on Artis Payne seemingly named our #2 RB behind J.Stew, I was hoping to see Fozzy used more this year in a Sproles type role, underneath option for us with the vertical threats we now have.

Fozzy seems to be the change of pace back while Artis Payne is the actual back up to Stewart. Makes sense to me. Artis Payne actually looks like a good value pick up late. I think we will look to use Stewart a lot when he is fit. May as well make him earn his $$ while he is injury free.

The Falcons will be our biggest challenger I think.

Fozzy seems to be the change of pace back while Artis Payne is the actual back up to Stewart. Makes sense to me. Artis Payne actually looks like a good value pick up late. I think we will look to use Stewart a lot when he is fit. May as well make him earn his $$ while he is injury free.

The Falcons will be our biggest challenger I think.

Yea, i agree CAP is more the all down back, especially if Stew gets injured (which he always seems to) he will take the majority of snaps with the Toldozer (who was also injured for the majority of last year). Ive just been really impressed in the games when I've seen Fozzy play, think he has something the other RB'S can't bring to the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Philly Brown, Bene Benwikere & Josh Norman.

3 names I am so damn excited about this season & the future.

Love Josh Norman, I've been on the bandwagon for 2 years now and he gave me reason to celebrate last year, think its jersey purchase time.

Bene moving to his preferred nickel will be great for us also if Tillman can hold up, not holding my breath there though. Tre Boston another to be excited about.

Im excited about Shaq despite people putting the breaks on him saying we took him too high, looking at his highlights when playing for the Huskies i was in awe. His closing speed on tackles in pass coverage is something to behold. Obviously he needs to get stronger so he can shed blocks on run plays but that can happen (possible move to SS if he doesn't?), you can't teach the agility and quickness he has though. Kony Ealy I'm also looking forward to seeing this year, hoping (but confident) he steps up, he has the tools.

No Bersin returning punts, although he stunk it up in Arizona last year so glad to have Ginn back.

Really excited about the year ahead, like i said, so long as the O-Line holds up i think we are going to be really fun to watch.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Five-OTA-observations/4f189403-8618-4e97-9871-4e70236f2bb6

The Panthers concluded the first week of organized team activities (OTAs) on Thursday. Below are five observations from the two-hour session.

1. Newton's presence felt

Quarterback Cam Newton was a spectator during OTAs last year as he recovered from ankle surgery, but this year he's on the field and setting the tempo.

His energy Thursday was off the charts. He entered the huddle with emphatic high fives all around, he ran 50 yards downfield to celebrate with receivers who reached the end zone, he applauded the protection the second-team offensive line provided quarterbackDerek Anderson .

"He's a leader. As the quarterback, it starts with him first," wide receiver Ted Ginn, Jr. said. "For him to come out and put his all into it, why not us? That's what it's about – feeding off the next man. Luckily, he's our big dog so we get to feed off the best man."

Newton's enthusiasm was notable and so was his performance from the pocket. He displayed nice touch on deep throws and had his trademark zip on intermediate passes to familiar targets like tight end Greg Olsen . He ran without hesitation and looked completely healthy.

"It's definitely (infectious)," wide receiver Corey Brown said of Newton's energy. "We started off super slow as an offense, but Cam kept everybody up and kept talking, kept talking. All it takes is for one play to be made, and when it was made it spring boarded everybody."

2. Brown's big day

Speaking of Corey Brown, the second-year wide receiver was on the receiving end of several deep touchdown throws from Newton. Brown said he's gained about 10 pounds and is faster. It showed.

"We are definitely picking up where we left off last year," Brown said. "You can tell (Cam's) been working. I've been working. And we just click."

Brown was exhausted from all the deep routes he ran Thursday. He said the added weight plays a role in that and he's still adjusting to it. We'll have more on Brown's preparation for year two in the days to come.

Wide receiver Stephen Hill also made a bunch of plays downfield. We examined Hill's progress Wednesday.

3. O-line on track

As expected, Michael Oher , who was signed as an unrestricted free agent, is working at left tackle.

"It feels good," Oher said. "I've always felt that left tackle was my position. I'm going to put in the work to not let these guys down."

Mike Remmers is the first-team right tackle, where he impressed at the end of last season. Rookie Daryl Williams , who will compete with Remmers for that spot, worked as the second-team right tackle.

Guards Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell , who solidified the line as rookies last year, lined up as the first-team right guard and left guard respectively.

4. Alexander taking right approach

Defensive end Frank Alexander got some work with the first-team with Charles Johnson getting a "veteran" day, and head coach Ron Rivera has been impressed with the way Alexander is approaching a critical point in his career.

Alexander played in just one game last season after being suspended twice for violating the NFL policy and program for substances of abuse.

"Frank is doing a nice job," Rivera said. "He's showing that he's hungry. He's got a lot to prove personally. I think he feels that way. And he's been working that way. This is his make or break season."

5. Young getting his chance

Cornerback Lou Young stood out during rookie minicamp, and he made some plays on the ball Thursday. He had a heavy workload with cornerbacks Charles Tillman andBene Benwikere not practicing and eventually needed to head in for intravenous fluids after a hard day's work.

Pretty excited by the upcoming season. We should make it 3 NFC South titles in a row this season. I'll be very disappointed if we don't. A fit Cam could really turn it on I think. He has plenty of decent targets this year and an improved O-Line. Not drastically improved but it has improved.

Stay off the green stuff, Frank.

Happy to see Philly's progress.

All the guys who report for the Panthers have a dead set raging hard on for Stephen Hill. Greatest practice squad member of all time, straight to the practice squad hall of fame.

Interesting with all these speed guys we have now, Ginn, Brown, Hill and Boykin (who i haven't heard much of yet) wonder who gets cut if any? Or how we will use each of them?

Last edited:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000494891/article/cam-newton-panthers-near-longterm-extension

Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers are on the verge of some serious business.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Newton and the Panthers are close to agreeing on a long-term deal that would keep him under team control through the 2020 season, according to sources involved in the situation. The deal is expected to be for five years and worth more than $100 million, according to Rapoport.

I was looking at Cam's highlight reel jus the other day…this play against Atlanta:

But what i love even more than the run is Smitty blocking 3 guys for him, I know we have moved on now at WR but I still miss my all time fav. I even go back and listen to his 'ice up son' interview after the Pats MNF game sometimes, hell, even his Baltimore 'Put your goggles on cause there's goina be blood and guts everywhere' interview.. :(

I can't hold it in any longer….:cry::cry::cry:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back