Caroline Wilson wins journalism's most prestigious award

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no problem with that per se - the game is a bloody soap opera, there's always some kind of scandal or drama, there's an appetite for news on it so people should be writing about it.

Yeah I understand that, and it is how they sell papers.

It is just my own personal opinion, that I have no interest in those types of articles. So I really have no interest in articles that she writes.

I much prefer articles about players and teams on the field. For examples Rohan Connolly's article on Luke Bruest today, purely about football.

As any half decent journalist would have, it seems that many of the leaks last year were actually from the Hird camp though.

Simple fact is she nailed it last year and that is what the award is for, much like Jobe didn't get his Brownlow for the years he was a tubby plodder, her past efforts are irrelevant to this award.

Yep agree. But I think there's a difference between using sources and simply being a conduit for powerful people with an axe to grind.

And yes, plenty of journalists of all persuasions were doing that last year and the leaks were coming from anyone and everyone on all sides.

Just not sure what it is that Wilson was doing that was so exceptional. She was doing Vlads bidding and just adding her own opinion.

Reckon there's be a fair few journos - from this story and others - a bit perplexed too.

Yep agree. But I think there's a difference between using sources and simply being a conduit for powerful people with an axe to grind.

And yes, plenty of journalists of all persuasions were doing that last year and the leaks were coming from anyone and everyone on all sides.

Just not sure what it is that Wilson was doing that was so exceptional. She was doing Vlads bidding and just adding her own opinion.

Reckon there's be a fair few journos - from this story and others - a bit perplexed too.
Well I agree with most of what you have said, it was a shock, I'm not a great fan of Carro myself.

Who votes for the award is it her peers?

I love human beings. They have a myriad of views and opinions and never shall everyone agree.

What Caro does is to ignite discussion and debate and well maybe even provide a bit of new information that we plebs don't know.

I commend her on her 'Jack Russell' attitude and never giving up the bone. And plenty of people including those at the EFC are just giving the bone immeasurably.

It's providing me a level of entertainment that it is meant to be. From all parties and yes there is "a party going on"

I love human beings. They have a myriad of views and opinions and never shall everyone agree.

What Caro does is to ignite discussion and debate and well maybe even provide a bit of new information that we plebs don't know.

I commend her on her 'Jack Russell' attitude and never giving up the bone. And plenty of people including those at the EFC are just giving the bone immeasurably.

It's providing me a level of entertainment that it is meant to be. From all parties and yes there is "a party going on"

Is it out the back while the business is in the front? ;)

I am surprised by the amount of support she is receiving in this thread.

I am not a fan of her work at all. She is a glorified tabloid journalist. She is everything that is wrong with modern sports journalism. She rarely if ever writes anything positive, or about the actual game itself. All of her articles are about players personal lives, or some scandal, or some big news story she is trying to break.

Disagree completely.

She holds people accountable, and most of what she reports turns out to be true.

Without voices of integrity in and around the game we'd be stuck with the disfunctional, archaic boys clubs of the 90s.

Would have sucked if Caro wasn't around last year. Imagine if we had only read what Robbo, Wheatley and their ilk put down in front of us, and of course that unflappable Hanke guy on BF...!!!

Ah Caro delivers another compelling update

HIRD GETS FINAL WARNING

"Hird has today been handed what appears to be a final warning by the EFC board"

Not a single quote or reference to a quote or anything of course.

Caroline, why didn't you just publish it last night, when you wrote it?

Ah... the finest journalist on these fair shores. Never change...

I'm sure I heard her say, or perhaps read somewhere, "Iv'e always been of the opinion that James Hird will not coach Essendon in 2015" or words to that effect. Looks like you might have got that wrong Caro?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure I heard her say, or perhaps read somewhere, "Iv'e always been of the opinion that James Hird will not coach Essendon in 2015" or words to that effect. Looks like you might have got that wrong Caro?
She has always stated he SHOULDN'T be coach. Probably believed that essendon would of been to gutless to sack him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ah Caro delivers another compelling update

HIRD GETS FINAL WARNING

"Hird has today been handed what appears to be a final warning by the EFC board"

Not a single quote or reference to a quote or anything of course.

Caroline, why didn't you just publish it last night, when you wrote it?

Ah... the finest journalist on these fair shores. Never change...

FFS what sort of quote or reference were you ******* expecting???!

The only question is which member of the board called her first

She has always stated he SHOULDN'T be coach. Probably believed that essendon would of been to gutless to sack him.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

As it's turned out that looks to be the case.

FFS what sort of quote or reference were you ******* expecting???!

The only question is which member of the board called her first

So why the "what appears"?

As for quotes, well there was a press conference straight away. Coulda probably got one there.

Not sure about our board talking to her. She had a permanent plant on our board but she was discovered and sacked. Caro's had the shits with Essendon (amongst many others) ever since.

Yeah yeah, I'm cross-posting; call the Feds. :p I really wanna call her out on her bullshit, just to provide an example of how Carro tweaks facts to make a story sound better. Sure, it's no big deal, but still.....

She bagged the Richmond vs Freo attendance on Footy Calcified tonight, saying: "22,000; down from 44,000 last year, with the same round, same weather, same everything, ." etc. Fair enough, it was a very s**t crowd, but it wasn't the same everything.

While I'm the first person to stick in to The League for lower crowds in Melbourne, coz they rip us off with food, etc, etc, she conveniently had a few things wrong:

1) The weather was s**t on Saturday, especially after about 3 o'clock, when it farkin pissed down on and off, but last year's game was played on a clear, sunny day, with 8.4 hours of sunshine and zero recorded rainfall (July 21st) http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201307/html/IDCJDW3050.201307.shtml

2) Last year's Rich/Freo game was a 1:10pm Sunday match, when the weekend's match was obviously a 1:45pm Sat game.

3) Last year's crowd was 40,000, not 44,000

4) Last year's game was on the 21st of July, while Saturday's game was obviously on the 14th of June. Sure, I doubt this one has much to do with it, and it's nitpicking, but it's not the "same time of year".

So, there!! :p Tell all ya friends

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, I'm cross posting; call the Feds. :p I really wanna call her out on her bullshit, just to show an example of some the fact-tweaking she routinely does to make a story sound better. Sure, it's no big deal, but still.....

She bagged the Richmond vs Freo attendance on Footy Calcified tonight, saying: "22,000; down from 44,000 last year, with the same weather, same everything, same round.." etc. Fair enough, it was a low crowd, however.....

While I'm the first person to stick in to The League for lower crowds in Melbourne, coz they rip us off with food, etc, etc, she conveniently had a few things wrong:

1) The weather was s**t on Saturday, especially after about 3 o'clock, when it farkin pissed down on and off, but last year's game was played on a clear, sunny day, with 8.4 hours of sunshine and zero recorded rainfall (July 21st) http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201307/html/IDCJDW3050.201307.shtml

2) Last year's Rich/Freo game was a 1:10pm Sunday match, when the weekend's match was obviously a 1:45pm Sat game.

That's just trivial and pedantic

Yeah yeah, I'm cross posting; call the Feds. :p I really wanna call her out on her bullshit, just to show an example of some the fact-tweaking she routinely does to make a story sound better. Sure, it's no big deal, but still.....

She bagged the Richmond vs Freo attendance on Footy Calcified tonight, saying: "22,000; down from 44,000 last year, with the same weather, same everything, same round.." etc. Fair enough, it was a low crowd, however.....

No matter how you frame it, a near 50% drop in attendance because of some rain is disgraceful. Sure a drop is expected but not to that extent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back