No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why? It's questioning the true independence and impartiality of CAS. Brings up some good points. A national court would be far more impartial.
Yep should just keep putting up with a s**t flawed unfair system. Breaking eggs n stuff
It'll turn the entire system into a mess. Different courts in different countries applying different laws differently. It'd be a farce. There'd be wild inconsistencies everywhere. Is CAS perfect? Nope. But it's a hell of a lot better than what this case could see implemented.

This isn't good for anybody.

If the German decision is handed down before the EFC players' appeal is heard, it's almost certain to influence the Swiss appeal - whether that influence is positive or negative it's hard to know. But, if there is sufficient support for CAS going forward, it's going to have to be perceived as a more even-handed body if it's going to survive. There are many unhappy sportspeople and bodies out there, cynical about corruption in international sports adminstration (the Seb Coe appointment, the Russian fiasco etc.) So, overturning a couple of its more sketchy decisions might work in its favour (losing the battles to win the war.) Of course, it depends on what the German court says....

MightyDon

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
It'll turn the entire system into a mess. Different courts in different countries applying different laws differently. It'd be a farce. There'd be wild inconsistencies everywhere. Is CAS perfect? Nope. But it's a hell of a lot better than what this case could see implemented.
For Essendon players to be banned and called drugs cheats on the evidence assumptions presented there is something very very wrong with the system. If CAS needs to be destroyed so it can be put back together properly so be it, otherwise nothing will change. There is zero accountability for their decisions and actions and this is a big problem.

For Essendon players to be banned and called drugs cheats on the evidence assumptions presented there is something very very wrong with the system. If CAS needs to be destroyed so it can be put back together properly so be it, otherwise nothing will change. There is zero accountability for their decisions and actions and this is a big problem.
To whom should they be accountable exactly?

Anytime there's a level of accountability there's a chance of influence/corruption. The entire point of CAS is that it's independent.

If they're independent why do two people of WADAs choice sit on their panel to judge on anti doping cases?
upload_2016-2-13_15-50-28.png

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Great revenue generator for the lawyers. Young will be licking his chops

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
you seem to be seeing only a binary result.

I personally think that article highlighted some fairness issues we've all been struggling with. If she did in fact have the anomaly come about because of a congenital issue, but was banned anyway, how the hell is that fair? It's disgraceful if so. Much like getting banned for two years on cabal strands that don't need to prove there was enough substance, that the substance was purchased and onsite, on the basis that it's been used before, even when it hasn't actually been proven.

I agree it's theoretically preferable to have something like CAS, but if this case forces some fundamental structural change to the way it works that actually gives more fairness to the athletes then fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you seem to be seeing only a binary result.

I personally think that article highlighted some fairness issues we've all been struggling with. If she did in fact have the anomaly come about because of a congenital issue, but was banned anyway, how the hell is that fair? It's disgraceful if so. Much like getting banned for two years on cabal strands that don't need to prove there was enough substance, that the substance was purchased and onsite, on the basis that it's been used before, even when it hasn't actually been proven.

I agree it's theoretically preferable to have something like CAS, but if this case forces some fundamental structural change to the way it works that actually gives more fairness to the athletes then fantastic.
I'm not going to pretend I know enough about her case, if doctor's proved she had this condition and that it could cause this effect then yes that would be a major issue. I dunno if that was the case. But I doubt it.

If it leads to CAS being improved, great. If it leads to CAS being bypassed, that's a potentially very bad thing.

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
this comment is proven completely stupid by the simple fact that wada do lose cases
You don't mind throwing the odd insult around Lance. What makes your opinion so superior? What is your training?

They pick 2 out of the 3 adjudicators and they still lose cases. Amazing.

I believe that given the huge publicity and length of this case, it is not one that WADA could afford to lose.

You don't mind throwing the odd insult around Lance. What makes your opinion so superior? What is your training?

They pick 2 out of the 3 adjudicators and they still lose cases. Amazing.

I believe that given the huge publicity and length of this case, it is not one that WADA could afford to lose.
Can you show where the basis for this claim is? I've posted the process for choosing CAS adjudicators on the previous page and nowhere does it say 2 of the 3 are chosen by any one party.

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Can you show where the basis for this claim is? I've posted the process for choosing CAS adjudicators on the previous page and nowhere does it say 2 of the 3 are chosen by any one party.
It was in one of the newspapers. I will search. Same article also said WADA funded the CAS hearing in Sydney.

It followed the line that CAS adjudicators must be CAS accredited. WADA is often caught in hearings by CAS. WADA appoints a CAS approved adjudicator. Good for CAS adjudicators to stay in good books with WADA.

Belloff QC from the UK was the supposedly independent on the panel. WADA has previously engaged Belloff for a fee to write its sports law. Belloff QC also has connections with Young.

Last edited:
It was in one of the newspapers. I will search. Same article also said WADA funded the CAS hearing in Sydney.

It followed the line that CAS adjudicators must be CAS accredited. WADA is often caught in hearings by CAS. WADA appoints a CAS approved adjudicator. Good for CAS adjudicators to stay in good books with WADA.

Belloff QC from the UK was the supposedly independent on the panel. WADA has previously engaged Belloff for a fee to write its sports law. Belloff QC also has connections with Young.
I'll take this

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/general-information/frequently-asked-questions.html

Over "one of the newspapers".

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

expires

Club Legend
May 20, 2014
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Ok , seeing what they are appealing against, all I can say is what a waste of ******* time.
Almost totally agree. Insult to Dick Reynolds not going the justice route. If you lose, you lose. Questions have to be asked about who Essendon's lawyers actually barrack for. (More dumb than a total waste of time in my eyes, though.)

WADA got what they wanted by placing question marks against the character of the players as a group. If you appeal, you appeal those question marks. The chance of success may be low as you are dealing with an ass.

But you had to get it out there that the CAS judgement was a display of power over a group of individuals and not justice for any individual.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Mostly Lindsay Tanner's comments yesterday but yeah, a bit of common sense too I'd like to think.

overwhelming common sense I'd say

If hurlygurdy's statement came to fruition (which is not necessarily likely) and the player's were cleared mid-season, then common sense would not support that statement.

Those players playing this season wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for the team at that point given lack of continuity for the team, the players' fitness, lack of match practice, game style etc and would naturally present an absolute head * logisitically with regards to the top up players and what to do with them. However, those players being allowed to exercise their contracted right to play, when there is no suspension having over their head, is common sense. Overwhelmingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back