Toast Casual Keith does it again

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic response to the incident on Saturday night.

From the CEO: July 8
As the opposing team were leaving the ground, we had a very unsavoury incident where one or two of the Essendon players had a beer thrown at them as they were leaving.

In days gone by, we may have just shrugged our shoulders and ignored such poor behaviour, indeed the great Fitzroy/Collingwood full back Gary Pert once said, ‘if they are not booing you as you come off the ground, you haven’t done your job!’

Well, those days are gone.

AFL football is in the entertainment business.

We aim to present a game day experience that is fun for the whole family, no matter where you are from or who you support. Part of that experience is being able to barrack hard for your team, and Port Adelaide fans do that better than anyone else!

We never want to lose that.
From the CEO: July 8

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree. Booing the opposition deemed offside is reaching curious levels, however.

Chapman was always going to get booed after the Gray stoush but why would you boo anyone else from Essendon off on Saturday night. They played the way we should have.

lol Official Support Groups have ratified something. That carries about as much weight as an ant-sized ghost, and is on the same level as listening to Facebook supporters, or a flag planted at the club by a `fan' supporting Choco.

Anyone code that tries to tell me I can't say `For *'s sake Westhoff' at the footy is a bullshit code.

Chapman was always going to get booed after the Gray stoush but why would you boo anyone else from Essendon off on Saturday night. They played the way we should have.

But that's just it. People have their reasons. Be they Chapman getting booed for the Gray incident, or Smokin' Joe Misiti for tacitly encouraging smoking.

To have a CEO chide his own supporter base, who've paid to come through the turnstyles, for booing the opposition - something as ingrained a stadium experience as lukewarm chiko rolls and flat beer - is going a step beyond required imo.

It's not Cats or Sunset Boulevard, it's footy.

But that's just it. People have their reasons. Be they Chapman getting booed for the Gray incident, or Smokin' Joe Misiti for tacitly encouraging smoking.

To have a CEO chide his own supporter base, who've paid to come through the turnstyles, for booing the opposition - something as ingrained a stadium experience as lukewarm chiko rolls and flat beer - is going a step beyond required imo.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Casual Keith apparently has a stick up his arse

Agree. Booing the opposition deemed offside is reaching curious levels, however.

I think he was just referring to booing after the siren when the players are leaving the field? Booing a player who committed a low act during the game is fair game. Booing when it's all over is a bit unsportsmanlike. Given this is a club stance I can see why they'd prefer it didn't happen.

Fans are getting pathetic when they boo opposition players off the field especially after a game. Chapman did deserve it though. But this was during the game.

Another thing that is annoying me with football fans is when fans boo their own team when they kick backwards. Last time this happened was against the bulldogs. It was 30 minutes into the last quarter and these *s behind us started booing and sole idiots joined in. I even heard someone say "come on port we need to be attacking". Some people are so stupid they don't understand the switch. Football fans can be really stupid. Good on you KT call them out.

But seriously take your mind back to 1991. I go with a few mates to the early camry crows games to see blokes like Ablett Snr, Brereton, Lockett etc etc play in the flesh and I sit through 3 hours of booing umpires, players being booed because they are Victorian (Bradley and Kernahan???) opposition supporters being booed because they cheered, basically 3 hours of booing with the occasional cheer thrown in. It became acceptable because "everyone' in the crowd was doing it.

My reaction was to stop going to games because the atmosphere was shithouse.

I was disappointed on Saturday night but my anger wasn't directed at the Essendon Football Club* or its players in any way shape or form it was at our blokes and their lack of effort. No one is asking for Matty Primus humility but you can be a good winner and loser without resorting to that s**t.

*If Hird was there he might have got a gobful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you shouldnt throw beers on players after the game that is stupid we have already lost...throw it on them while they are having a shot at goal in the first quarter..it will have more effect.

I think he was just referring to booing after the siren when the players are leaving the field? Booing a player who committed a low act during the game is fair game. Booing when it's all over is a bit unsportsmanlike. Given this is a club stance I can see why they'd prefer it didn't happen.

I don't want to go all talkback and say 'slippery slope', but if booing the opposition as they're coming off is offside what's next?

Lumping that in with some slapper chucking beer at an opposition player or a pair of numptys wanting to punch on with someone because they're happy they've won is... well... overkill.

Well I for one applaud the message.

(Think of an English posh voice and nose up turned) I for one applaud any magnificent piece of play. I lightly smatter my hands together looking at my friends exclaiming, boy joy oh jiggling, wasn't that magnificent piece of play whilst sipping my sweet white wine cutting my Brie cheese. When I see incidents of an untoward nature, I shudder to myself and friends, thinking that the villain is performing skulduggery and is a rogue, but at games end it's forgotten because I'm plastered from the white wine.

Hey Keith, if I want to Boo the umps or that Bald little freak who kills us I shall.

I don't want to go all talkback and say 'slippery slope', but if booing the opposition as they're coming off is offside what's next?

Lumping that in with some slapper chucking beer at an opposition player or a pair of numptys wanting to punch on with someone because they're happy they've won is... well... overkill.

I agree, trying to stop booing at games is dumb. I'm OK with Casual talking about it in this instance though because I think he's basically saying "don't be a campaigner to the opposition at the end of the game when they leave the field, we're bigger than that".

Nahhh mean brah?

lol Official Support Groups have ratified something. That carries about as much weight as an ant-sized ghost, and is on the same level as listening to Facebook supporters, or a flag planted at the club by a `fan' supporting Choco.

Anyone code that tries to tell me I can't say `For ****'s sake Westhoff' at the footy is a bullshit code.
It would depend how loud you said it or how many smallish Children were in your vicinity wouldn't it?
it is not 1980 anymore when it was a men only domain.Women and Children are welcome too and they don't have to have gutter language rammed down their throat.Footy is a Family destination now.
I swear like a trooper but limit at the footy now as I am not as immature as I once was.I still do hear too many idiots swearing obnoxiously and drunk at our own players mainly.
Kane Mitchells ears would have been bleeding the other night.I hope his Mum wasn't in the crowd.

I agree, trying to stop booing at games is dumb. I'm OK with Casual talking about it in this instance though because I think he's basically saying "don't be a campaigner to the opposition at the end of the game when they leave the field, we're bigger than that".

Nahhh mean brah?

I understand the rationale, I just think it's barking up the wrong tree.

Supporter behaviour has already been drenched in Napisan over the past decade - largely for the right reasons - but this is the first time across any sport I've seen a club official openly tell people to rein in legal hostility and intimidation toward the opposition at home games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back