Social Cats Chat about Our Pets

Is your Pet a Geelong Cats supporter?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My mum is moving from a retirement village in Grovedale Geelong to a respite place and sadly we are looking for a permanent home for an 8yo apricot Miniature Poodle preferably in Geelong. Very loved and was a breeding dog.
We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and really can't take her on long term, and my sister in Geelong is in a similar predicament.
Anybody interested ?
Have you had any luck find a home for Zoe yet Vdubs?

Bots they are gorgeous!!! + rocker_oz33 your boys are beautiful too!

I have two little Burmese kittens now, who are just divine! They came to us in May, I can't believe it's taken so long to get to this thread, time has flown.

One is a Chocolate Burmese + the other a Lilac Burmese, different mothers but same father - The Chocolate is called Smudge á ChocoLaLa + the Lilac is called Suki XiXi Dash-a-Lot :hearts: :hearts:

Introducing LaLa + XiXi

View attachment 74935
They are both gorgeous Kitty but gotta admit I'm a lil choc biased, 1 of my cousins breeds & shows, hers are mostly seal point..

The animal clips were fun! That lil dog was definitely playing the ball, not the man, how rude of them to block him :D

Last edited:

Have you had any luck find a home for Zoe yet Vdubs?
Thanks for asking.
We took her home and she settled in fine with our lot of furry friends. But then my wife has taken to a friend where she is on "probation." Hopefully it all works out.
My mum has such deterioration that she will soon have no memory of Zoe.
Very sad.

Thanks for asking.
We took her home and she settled in fine with our lot of furry friends. But then my wife has taken to a friend where she is on "probation." Hopefully it all works out.
Very sad.
I'm really sorry to hear that about your Mum, Vdubs. :( Mums are far too special to us to have an ending like that, aren't they?
I'm glad to hear that you may have found a home for Zoe, though- I hope that goes well.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

I'm really sorry to hear that about your Mum, Vdubs. :( Mums are far too special to us to have an ending like that, aren't they?
I'm glad to hear that you may have found a home for Zoe, though- I hope that goes well.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Thanks for your thoughts, and prayers, we appreciate both.
Apparently Zoe has made it on Facebook. Not sure how to access that, but my daughter tells me she fits in well.
Found out she is 12 years of age! Time flies.

If you or your daughter has Facebook, just see if the new owners will let you check up via their Fb photos.
My daughters do, I have enough computer stuff with BF and work, coming from zero computer usage until recent years.
But I have access to her photos.
We reckon Mackie really misses her after only 2 weeks. They ate, slept and walked together.Quite the odd couple.

My daughters do, I have enough computer stuff with BF and work, coming from zero computer usage until recent years.
We reckon Mackie really misses her after only 2 weeks. They ate, slept and walked together.Quite the odd couple.
:( that's sad. You have another dog though, so that will take Mackie's mind off losing Zoe. And Zoe will probably get lots of attention from her new owners, which will ease the loss of her old home and the company of your Mum. It sounds like it'll all turn out OK for her.

:( that's sad. You have another dog though, so that will take Mackie's mind off losing Zoe. And Zoe will probably get lots of attention from her new owners, which will ease the loss of her old home and the company of your Mum. It sounds like it'll all turn out OK for her.
It's all good.
Mackie has Pepper to muck around with here, she's a tiny Black Toy, and jumps all over him. He's pretty easygoing and gentle, as Whippets tend to be.
As you say Zoe has some quality attention now.

They are both gorgeous Kitty but gotta admit I'm a lil choc biased, 1 of my cousins breeds & shows, hers are mostly seal point..

The animal clips were fun! That lil dog was definitely playing the ball, not the man, how rude of them to block him :D
Mine are Burmese Shai - Seal Points are Siamese :) The Burmese have golden eyes + Siamese have blue eyes. Glad you enjoyed the gifs.
The chocolate Burmese are just sublime! My little Chocolate, LaLa is such a cutie. He thinks I'm just a big cat + hides behind furniture or in doorways + as I walk past him, he pounces on me lol But not the way he pounces on the other cats, he realises I am big, so he does this enormous flying through the air pounce with his arms out wide. It's hilarious Shai! He's like this

Black_Cat_Pounce.jpg

Thanks for asking.
Very sad.
I'm so sorry your Mum has deteriorated, Vdubs. It is very difficult to watch + remember how energetic, loving + caring they were. Do you take Zoe to visit her? My brother + I used to take our cats to visit Mum + they'd hop into bed with her lol + my cousin has a huge dog, called Hugo + he would hop into bed with Mum too + she'd give him a Shortbread Cream. There were always pets visiting at the nursing home.
I hope Zoe is happy in her new home + she settles in with your wife's friend. Good luck Vdubs.

Oh darling Mackie :hearts: He is your Whippet, right? I adore Whippets, they are the cat of the dog world + Burmese cats are the dog of the cat world lol Now I don't know whether to hope Zoe is happy in her new home, or whether I want her to return to Mackie ;) :D

I will add you all to my prayers too, Vdubs. Take care, it is a difficult time :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad things are working out with Zoe. I hope this turns out to be her forever home. It's sad to see someone slipping away from you gradually. I hope your mother is feeling safe and calm even if she doesn't remember much, but it will still be a difficult time for you.

I'm glad things are working out with Zoe. I hope this turns out to be her forever home. It's sad to see someone slipping away from you gradually. I hope your mother is feeling safe and calm even if she doesn't remember much, but it will still be a difficult time for you.
Zoe's new family put on a party for her today, all went well. She will be spoiled.
Saw mum today, much better out of hospital. We have all decided she will not be going to a hospital again- I swear they make people look and feel worse.
Of course, emergencies excluded.
Really appreciate all the caring comments here from my feline comrades.

Any photos of Zoe at her party? I think that sounds just adorable + how wonderful they are to have a party for Zoe :hearts: It seems she has fallen on all paws! Vdubs it must be such a huge relief for you knowing Zoe has found a loving home!

If it's any consolation, my Mum was sent to respite at a nursing home + had a very bad fall. She said she felt well + had taken herself to the bathroom, but tripped getting back into bed. She was sent to emergency, but it was too much for her. So I took her back to the nursing home + we asked that she not be sent to emergency again, even if she did have a fall. She did have a dizzy episode + I said not to send her to Casualty + so the nursing home arranged for a locum doctor to visit her.

For my Mum, it was all about ensuring she had a good quality of life. While she had all her mental assets, she did want to die + that was something we all had to accept. Once we had accepted that was her wish, we set about making sure she was given everything she wanted + if that meant she wanted beer for breakfast, I ensured she had cold beer. In fact, she could really only tolerate champagne, beer + gelato, which we always had on hand. She refused tea or coffee from everyone, except my brother + I, because only we made them the way she liked.

I think your in a different situation Vdubs, because of your mother's memory, which must be very, very difficult + distressing for you all. You are wise to limit the changes in her life, she will be happier if she remains settled.

All the last few years my Mum was adamant she wasn't going into a nursing home, but we were fortunate she was sent to respite at a fabulous one, which was located not far from her home. It was easy for all her friends to visit, + next door to Royal Sydney Golf Club, where they played Bridge + so after Bridge they'd all visit. We were very fortunate because she had visitors all day, every day + even when she was dying, we ensured friends still visited + we'd all sit quietly + chat. On good days she'd respond saying that even on her bad days she loved her visitors + just listening to us all chat. We ensured we had some cake or lovely biscuits + her friends popped in for morning tea or afternoon tea for half an hour. My cousins visited with their grand children + their pets. Her younger friends who worked, visited in the evening, so we had wine, scotch, champagne + soft drinks. Mum was a very social person, who loved entertaining, we were able to provide her with a way for her to feel she was still entertaining her friends.

While Mum did mention going home, we jollied her along. We decided to agree with everything she wanted. If she was resisted she'd get anxious + then insist on doing it. One day, I arrived + my brother was having a nervy turn. Mum had decided we were all going to Port Douglas, because she's always wanted to go. So I told my brother to just go along with her. + she was fine once we agreed. I asked my brother to phone the airlines + book the flights + hotel. We had a code phrase 'I need to make a call + the phone reception is better at the cafe'. So when we needed to talk, but not in front of Mum we'd say we had to make a phone call, + the other would go with them, saying they'd make a cappuccino. We'd get our story straight + return saying it was all booked, we were leaving later in the day. When we agreed + discussed what she wanted to do, she was fine. We then found she had conversation for her friends. We'd alert them to the latest topic + she'd happily prattle away about her holiday, or about going home.

Before Mum deteriorated, we'd also borrow a wheelchair + take her for a walk + she was always up for going out to lunch. Although, she wouldn't eat, she might have a taste of our lunch + she'd sip her bubbles or she'd ask for a beer.

Another thing I decided to do was to make her room, more like her home. I brought her favourite paintings from her home + lots of photos, from her wedding, holidays, my brother + I as kids, her friends, her DVD's, I put all the music from the 20's, 30' + 40's, her favourite musicals etc on to an iPod, some cushions + some flowering plants. Also had two large vases full of flowers on either side of her bed. So as she slipped closer to heaven, she still had a semblance of the life she enjoyed, entertaining her friends, her art, her garden + I gave her a Teddy Bear. Mum was a costume designer for the theatre + she was unhappy that Teddy was naked, so she said to one of her friends, a wonderful seamstress, that Bessie needed a dress. Jane returned the next day with a beautiful dress for Bessie. We ensured she had everything she wanted.

When I'd leave each day I'd ask Mum if she'd like anything + she'd say, "I'm happy, I've had a lovely day with you + Jonathon + all my friends. I have Bessie to keep me company, so I'm never lonely!" As she deteriorated and was kept on her side, we made sure she had photos + flowers to look at + we move the photos around. So in her last few days, she thought she was at home + she'd say "Oh! It's so lovely to be home! That nursing home was a dreadful place!" + we'd all lol It was huge for Mum to have her surroundings like her home. I can't tell you enough what a comfort it is for me now to know she was kept in a settled environment + that she'd say to me she was happy. I know your struggle is different to mine, but I wanted to explain how we eased my Mum's change in situation.

You still have a lot in front of you Vdubs, Teri + I had our mothers die recently so, I just want you to know that there are your feline friends, as you so beautifully put it, here for you :)

I think I might have mentioned my brother + I took our cats to visit Mum. They'd hop into bed with her + she adored their visits. We used to tease her that she preferred her grand-pussycats visiting to us :p + she'd say she did! ;)

I'm not sure if it's appropriate, but here is Mum -

Mum - Laughing+Bubbles-Smaller.jpg

What a beautiful photo, Kitty- your Mum looks so happy. And you've got some wonderful memories of her last year- isn't it a shame that we just can't find the time to do that until it's too late? We always seem to be in such a rush :( I wish I'd had more time with my Mum- moving to WA was tough, as we were so far apart. I remember lining up (with all my 20c pieces) at the public phone box in camp on a Sunday evening, so I could chat to my parents and siblings :)
Mobile phones and Skype have changed all that, haven't they?

Last edited:
I hope I didn't overwhelm you Vdubs :)

Thanks Teri, did you notice that the Swans adoring Maman, is wearing Geelong colours? ;) It is a very typical expression of laughter, which was caught in this photo, by my dear friend Beverley, who is also an angel :cry:

I was very fortunate, Mum + I often went on what we called 'Odysseys', we hop into the car, with no destination + just end up in the mountains or go south to the Highlands or to the Central Coast + have a ball! I was thinking this week, how much I missed with my Dad, because he'd love to have watched the footy like we used to. We met every Saturday morning for coffee at Bar Colluzzi, so I have many memories of those special days.

Mobile phones, Skype, Facey have all brought us together. I love Google hangouts too, we use it for Uni.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you Vdubs :)

Thanks Teri, did you notice that the Swans adoring Maman, is wearing Geelong colours? ;) It is a very typical expression of laughter, which was caught in this photo, by my dear friend Beverley, who is also an angel :cry:

I was very fortunate, Mum + I often went on what we called 'Odysseys', we hop into the car, with no destination + just end up in the mountains or go south to the Highlands or to the Central Coast + have a ball! I was thinking this week, how much I missed with my Dad, because he'd love to have watched the footy like we used to. We met every Saturday morning for coffee at Bar Colluzzi, so I have many memories of those special days.

Mobile phones, Skype, Facey have all brought us together. I love Google hangouts too, we use it for Uni.
Not at all, really respect your sincerity and honesty.
I didn't go the Zoe party, my wife did, no photos from her.

we had to put our Cat down a couple hours ago :(

Only 4 years old and so happy a few days ago but turned sour very rapidly. We suspect she may have swallowed rat poison while consuming the rat itself as there have been a couple of new families move into their homes a few doors up.

:( oh Bobby. That is SO sad. I'm really sorry to hear your sad news :(
Was it too late for the vet to do anything? I thought they had some coagulant stuff for pets that inadvertently eat rat poison?

Bobby, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news :hearts: It is such a difficult decision to make + please remember that putting her to sleep is the last act of love you can give her. She will be frolicking with the other pets in the beautiful fields of the Rainbow Bridge. Do you have children? I understand how your whole family will be so sad. I remember as a child, when our pets died, we'd have a funeral for our beloved pet. My deepest sympathy Bobby, lots of hugs :hearts:

Do you have children? I understand how your whole family will be so sad. I remember as a child, when our pets died, we'd have a funeral for our beloved pet. My deepest sympathy Bobby, lots of hugs :hearts:

thanks Kitty.
Nope, kids are not part of the plans just yet but my sister took the loss the worst.

I have never been a cat person, haven't found them to be as affectionate as my dogs but this one was very nice and started to turn me around. She would often talk to you with different types of vocalizations that cats use. She would also scratch on my bloody window screen early mornings of the night whenever she was bored.
Was sad to make the decision to euthanize her but she was already close death as it was and thankfully, she passed away calmly and quite peacefully.

Back