Social Cats Chat about Our Pets

Is your Pet a Geelong Cats supporter?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the funniest pic I've seen in ages. Thought hypnotizing chickens was a myth!!!

How long do they stay 'out' for?
It varies, BT. A few minutes, I guess. Sometimes they're up straight away and they don't seem to get hypnotised at all. I know we were able to do half a dozen big chooks and lay them all out side by side, which took some time. You have to be pretty careful because, once you startle them, the 'spell' is broken and they run away pretty quickly! My friend was over one day and she showed us. I had the kids catching chickens and lining up while she did the hypnotising :) Wish I'd had my camera!The baby chicks would stay there a bit longer- they tend to sleep heaps and love a cuddle so they seemed to just drift off from being hypnotised to being asleep ;)

Here's a video clip of a young kid doing it.

What he appears to be doing is tickling the hen, then putting his hand over her head. (My friend sort of strokes the hen's head, so that's a bit different) This is probably to try and fool her into thinking it's night-time. But, when he puts her on the ground, she just lies there- and, even though she now knows it isn't night-time, she refuses to get up.

Here's another clip- this time showing 4 different methods.

Our dog ran off with a red hen once- and it played dead in his mouth while he ran around the yard with us all in hot pursuit. I was fooled!! As soon as I took her out of his mouth, though, she just shook herself off and ran off squawking!! It was pretty funny. The naughty dog got a pretty good telling off!! I think the hypnotism is similar to this- if the hen plays dead, then the dog stops taking notice of it (in the wild, foxes like to kill for fun- if the chicken played dead, the fox would hopefully chase a flapping chooks and the 'dead' chicken would survive. ... maybe!)
Just did some more searching- this is what BBC earth says about it:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my boy Tracy (aka. Rowdy Rao). He is my tv footy watching companion and general benevolent cat overlord.
He looks a lot like my hunting cat, Millsy, Kittenish :)
My husband has a cushion next to him for Millsy's Prime Time TV experience. I don't know why but he (cat) seems to like watching the news- often with his eyes shut ;)

image.jpg

He looks a lot like my hunting cat, Millsy, Kittenish :)
My husband has a cushion next to him for Millsy's Prime Time TV experience. I don't know why but he (cat) seems to like watching the news- often with his eyes shut ;)

View attachment 53823

They do look alike, but my Rao is a Domestic Medium Hair (I showed his non-fluffy end), so he has a big tail like a toilet brush and fluffy tummy and back legs.

Mine enjoys watching the footy with his eyes shut. Or movies. When he's inside, he does enjoy sitting on a good lap.

Rao sounds really cute. Those fluffy tails are like feather dusters! Mine's a DSH. He can cut you in half with his tail, which is skinny and rope-y ;)

My cats are all so different- physically and in behaviour. The Ragdoll likes to sit on the newspaper when I'm reading it and follows me around the house miaowing all day. He's a bit of a fatty and likes to scoff the other cats' dinner (so I now try and lock him away in the laundry while they eat their share). The striped cat is the rabbit/mouse and rat hunter and he sings a lovely song outside if he's got a treat for us (so I know to take out a plastic bag to put his 'present' in!) ;) The black cat is a bit neurotic and was always frightened of everyone and very jumpy but, now she's about 11 years old, she's settled down a bit and she has taken to sleeping on my pillow with me.

I can usually tell which cat is in my bed by which position it occupies. The striped one lies lengthwise in the middle of the bed under the doona, the ragdoll lies at our feet and the black one is on the pillow.

They also have different eye-colours- green, blue and yellow. And they make different sounds.

Last year before Christmas, my neighbour's cream Burmese visited + Sapphie + Meggie thought it was Meggie's baby Monte (now an :hearts: angel :hearts:) + were cooing, brrrrrrupping + trying to love him, while he was hissing + spitting! I didn't think they'd remember him :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

So this Friday, we are adopting two little Burmese Boy Kittens, one lilac :hearts: + one chocolate :hearts:

LittleLove2+BabyLove2-1.jpg LittleLove2-1.jpg BabyLove2-1.jpg

This is my boy Tracy (aka. Rowdy Rao). He is my tv footy watching companion and general benevolent cat overlord.
He is gorgeous :hearts:

Millsy is lovely :hearts: Perhaps he will be a journalist when he grows up? What are your other cats' names Teriyakicat ??? The Ragdoll + black lady?

He is gorgeous :hearts:

Millsy is lovely :hearts: Perhaps he will be a journalist when he grows up? What are your other cats' names Teriyakicat ??? The Ragdoll + black lady?
I'm so jealous of your new babies, Squishy! By adopt, you mean you're keeping them or just minding them until they find a home?
Our white boy (ragdoll) is Cloud, the black girl is Moonlight (her second name is "Sparkles" but we never use that- she was named by my daughter when she was 4 ;))

I have a ranga cat who plays fetch like a dog. A collie-kelpie cross who is insane and is scared of the cat. Two horses, a Clydie cross and a thoroughbred, two cockatiels, resident king parrots, kangaroos, pygmy bats and wood ducks. Plus my favourite - pet bees in their very own hive. We also have snakes - a red belly black under the house and a brown or copperhead somewhere in the garden, spiders galore, jumping jacks, bluebottles, bullants and flies. Though I would not call any of that last lot pets. Love em all except the copperhead/brown, white tail spiders (I'm allergic), jumping jacks, bluebottles and f f f flies.

The upside of the copper/brown is I refuse to do gardening.

Getting a bit pissed with the bees cos they refuse to play fetch or come when I call.

Last edited:
Tom, he looks beautiful!! Is he still a "pup"? (obviously not a baby pup but he looks very young, still)
oh- and thanks for posting that! Finally :)
It's an old-ish picture. He was probably only about one there, he's three now. Still plenty of energy, his favourite past time (apart from 'cuddling' the chooks ;)) is going for a swim at the beach.

I have a ranga cat who plays fetch like a dog. A collie-kelpie cross who is insane and is scared of the cat. Two horses, a Clydie cross and a thoroughbred, two cockatiels, resident king parrots, kangaroos, pygmy bats and wood ducks. Plus my favourite - pet bees in their very own hive. We also have snakes - a red belly black under the house and a brown or copperhead somewhere in the garden, spiders galore, jumping jacks, bluebottles, bullants and flies. Though I would not call any of that last lot pets. Love em all except the copperhead/brown, white tail spiders (I'm allergic), jumping jacks, bluebottles and f f f flies.

The upside of the copper/brown is I refuse to do gardening.

Getting a bit pissed with the bees cos they refuse to play fetch or come when I call.

That sounds like quite a menagerie, allrighty! You must be very busy. I love that photo of your cat. What's his/her name?
I'm sure you can train those bees- I'll have a look sometime on the net for you ;) Maybe you need to sing to them or something?
So, you like that red-bellied snake- why is it your favourite? ;) We have dugites galore out here - I was wandering outside last night and cheering myself up about the cooler weather, telling myself, "At least the snakes have gone to sleep".
And what's a "jumping jack"? The only one that I know is Tom Hawkins' dad ;)

Back