Remove this Banner Ad

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
From AFL.com.au today...

GEELONG is interested in securing former Melbourne speedster Sam Blease as a delisted free agent.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-23/blease-may-please-cats

Thoughts on this?

Not too keen on it myself. But he is quick, I guess, and an ok size at 184cm/80kgs. Suspect he is too similar a player to Murdoch, albeit a little shorter, to really get a place in the team from what I've seen. Playing VFL at Melbourne all year isn't exactly a glowing endorsement either...

Thoughts on this?

Not too keen on it myself. But he is quick, I guess, and an ok size at 184cm/80kgs. Suspect he is too similar a player to Murdoch, albeit a little shorter, to really get a place in the team from what I've seen. Playing VFL at Melbourne all year isn't exactly a glowing endorsement either...
I'm not as cynical as I suspect others might be - exposed form at Melbourne is not really form at all, from what's said a lot of players who move to and fro Melbourne were pretty staggered at the change in training standards and effort.

Can we wait a year until Nathan Jones is a fa and target him instead?
Bring in the trio of Dangerfield, Jones & Selwood - help strengthen the midfield a little :cool:

I'm not as cynical as I suspect others might be - exposed form at Melbourne is not really form at all, from what's said a lot of players who move to and fro Melbourne were pretty staggered at the change in training standards and effort.

Exactly. Anyone who claims that we shouldn't look at him because he's from Melbourne would be displaying quite staggering hypocrisy (so based on that I'm tipping it'll be the majority viewpoint). There doesn't seem to be too many complaints about Jared Rivers, and he spent 10 years there. Likewise the acquisition of Clark doesn't seem to be frowned upon either.

Don't know anywhere near enough about Blease to know whether he's worth the investment or not. But I'm not sure his previous club alone should be held up as the gold standard of evidence against.

He has ability but seems fairly soft effort wise for mine, I would have rather Hunt.

I definitely think we will use #73 on either a DFA or mature age draftee but he wouldnt be my first choice.

I really like this kid and am glad the cats are looking at him.

I really like this kid and am glad the cats are looking at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given there's an article on the AFL website about our 'interest', you would suspect that we are probably likely to see Blease at the Cattery next year.

He would want to do more than be a 'speedster' who shows 'flashes of brilliance', though.

Don't see how that CV is going to help us a great deal in 2015 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back