List Mgmt. Free agent: Geelong signs Sam Blease as a delisted free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

All I know about Sam Blease is what I saw on the highlight video.
Rather than the simplistic he can't get a game for the bottom team , he must be soft
Has anyone actually watched the Dee's play?
It's obvious why a bloke that has speed and likes to take them on can't get a game for the Dee's
I watched the Melbums play Collingwuss in R12 to see if they had improved under Roos.
Whenever they got the ball they stopped, waited, went backwards, sideways then back again.
I reckon had Blease played and used his pace broken the line and kicked long forward
He would have been dragged for breaking the team game plan. Then dropped and never played again.
He is the wrong fit for the Dees. His best asset is a liability for them.

Geelong are an attacking team. They run the ball through the middle. Speed is an asset.
Blease is a better fit for the way we play. Run, Handball, Link-up
The way the game is developing... getting quicker and quicker each year... pace is the future
This I believe, is the reason we are considering him.

If the club do decide to pick him up.
I am confident he will be a better player here.

Could not agree more. Melbourne play a very stagnant style of play, and for Blease to be able to use his skills and pace the ball needs to be moving fast, taking the game on, exactly the way Geelong play. Another problem at Melbourne throughout Blease's tenure was the ability of Melb's inside midfielders getting the ball out of tight situations, into space for players like Blease to make use of. The kid has speed to burn, and with Selwood, Caddy, Duncan etc getting clearances, Blease could become a vital piece of the cog, with him and Murdoch and Motlop waiting outside the packs, we could see a lot of long runs down the wing of Simonds, something we've been missing since Wojo hung up his boots.

I, for one, am very excited with all recruits so far, and think the added pace and goal sense of Blease could add more x-factor to our side, something that is vital to success in September.

he came from Collingwood mate.

121211_ceglar246b.jpg

Never played seniors for Collingwood so you're both correct.

Correct - I asked the club about this on Twitter and they said Clark and Stanley will return home in early November, and an interview with the pair will be filmed and put up on Cats TV on their return.
I asked them on twitter as well and didn't get a response! Which only further convinced me I was right! Lol

if his not good enough for melbourne.

dont you think his not good enough for geelong?

He didnt fit the way Melbourne played, possibly has personality issues, but if the Cats are interested, doubt it. The way he plays will suit our game plan as we like to play a lot of 'run & gun' corrdior footy, and when we do that sucessfully, we are unstoppable, the quicker the ball get to Hawkins and Clark one out the better, and as I have said before, Blease has pace to burn. Will benefit from the quality of inside players at Geelong (Selwood, Caddy, Duncan, Danger in 2016?) and will therefore be put in open paddocks and be able to use his speed.

A club like Melbourne has lost a lot of 1st round draft picks, many over the last few years, through trade or delistings, so from that my guess is they haven't been good, or cared at all about young player development, possibly not putting time into it, (Viney and Hogan possible exceptions), the kid must have talent, went 1st round, and the Cats identify him as a need, so i will take him, especially for peanuts.

I know he isn't proven yet, but has showed glimpses (YouTube highlights), and a lot of posters are saying he butchers the ball, but in his Highlight package, he has great goal sense, on both sides of his body, with a bit of work could possibly become a rebounding half back in the mould of Wojo, either way the Cats have a role in mind, and i hope its on the wing, in open spaces.

In the end we can speculate all we want, until we see what happens, no one knows whats going to happen.

id rather trust in what the general feeling is of the melbourne fan then what a geelong scout thinks of him

and the typical melbourne fan seem like its not a huge lose

im gonna go with there opinion on this one

they probably know better then us dont u think

id rather trust in what the general feeling is of the melbourne fan then what a geelong scout thinks of him

and the typical melbourne fan seem like its not a huge lose

im gonna go with there opinion on this one

they probably know better then us dont u think

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... He didn't play well at Melbourne because he wasn't allowed to play his natural game, I think he will be at Geelong, and will flourish.
Happy to be wrong, even more happy to right, at pick 70 odd or whatever we will use... A draftee wouldn't do much at AFL level.

id rather trust in what the general feeling is of the melbourne fan then what a geelong scout thinks of him.

I agree, I don't even know why clubs bother with talent scouts, especially when they have the option of just doing a poll on big footy to work out what player to draft.

It looks like this guy can rack up 20-30 touches in the VFL, and snag a couple of goals.

As he plays predominately as a small forward at AFL level, its great to crumb and run and it appears he can kick both sides ok, but I wonder if he has other facets of his game such as contested marking 1-on-1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like this guy can rack up 20-30 touches in the VFL, and snag a couple of goals.

As he plays predominately as a small forward at AFL level, its great to crumb and run and it appears he can kick both sides ok, but I wonder if he has other facets of his game such as contested marking 1-on-1?

At Melbourne wasn't really tested, as a junior was a jet, in regards to pace, always marking on the lead. With a solid pre-season I think he could develop the defensive side of his game, turn into a defensive forward, or attacking winger. Can tackle, just doesnt do it enough

My my forums are fun. Everyone is so negative and prepared to sink the boots into someone without giving them a chance in our environment.

Everyone has said that the late draft picks we have will be almost useless, so what do we stand to lose by giving this previous first round pick a crack at it?

I agree, I don't even know why clubs bother with talent scouts, especially when they have the option of just doing a poll on big footy to work out what player to draft.

fair enough they would know there u18 or some interstate league player better then u or i but i dont see how they could see something that the average melbourne fan couldnt about a player that plays for melbourne

after all these melbourne fans have been watching blease from day 1

At Melbourne wasn't really tested, as a junior was a jet, in regards to pace, always marking on the lead. With a solid pre-season I think he could develop the defensive side of his game, turn into a defensive forward, or attacking winger. Can tackle, just doesnt do it enough
I think he's worth a punt, give him 2 years.

Most likely he's better than a pick in the 70s, plus he'll probably walk straight into the forward pocket role and possibly ahead of McCarthy.

Murdoch and Motlop can take the wings, and Duncan can spend more time in the centre.

McCarthy is in for a big year, i doubt it'll be at his expense. It is going to be a tough 22 to name, I think Blease would learn the Geelong way in the 2's and then come in for possibly a Bartel who needs a rest, maybe Stokes? and see how he goes, with pick 70 odd there would be hardly any expectations. Another positive of this move is Blease will be hungry, and he might light a firecracker under some of the boys, competitiveness for spots is vital for successful teams!

fair enough they would know there u18 or some interstate league player better then u or i but i dont see how they could see something that the average melbourne fan couldnt about a player that plays for melbourne

after all these melbourne fans have been watching blease from day 1

Which part of the previous posts that suggested that as a player he didn't suit the style of game plan that Roos is working to implement for Melbourne did you miss?

Which part of the previous posts that suggested that as a player he didn't suit the style of game plan that Roos is working to implement for Melbourne did you miss?

sorry that wasnt a reply to you, more of a general statement, and i thank you for your response

Remove this Banner Ad

Back