List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong receives Mitch Clark from Melbourne and sends Travis Varcoe to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

With so many oldies and so many injury prone players I see no real reason to force out players even if we are top heavy.

If Walker is forced to play in the VFL all year it's not a huge loss.

Out of Vardy, HMac, Clark and Simpson it's likely at least 2 probably wont make it past 2015 and by the end of 2016 possibly all are done.

What worries me is what is going to happen with the golden child Blicavs if Clark or Vardy can actually play as 2nd ruck or even if Walker demands to play there.

With so many oldies and so many injury prone players I see no real reason to force out players even if we are top heavy.

If Walker is forced to play in the VFL all year it's not a huge loss.

Out of Vardy, HMac, Clark and Simpson it's likely at least 2 probably wont make it past 2015 and by the end of 2016 possibly all are done.

What worries me is what is going to happen with the golden child Blicavs if Clark or Vardy can actually play as 2nd ruck or even if Walker demands to play there.
I think Walker and Blicavs should be safe enough - they are the only durable talls we have.
They'll both continue to get games as Vardy, Clark, Simpson and HMac rotate through rehab.

Good get. Since Clark moved to full time forward he kicked 63 in 32 matches too.

Durability is obviously a difference.

No doubt. If we get him on the park regularly, he's a bargain salary wise. More interestingly, just illustrates how grossly overpaid Tippett is.

Clark's manager says Balmey and Wells experienced and honest, hopes deal can be done smoothly.
Also says Mitch met with 4-6 clubs, Pies and Cats put most work in, both outstanding.
Chris Scott big part of choosing Cats.
Surgeons think foot injury not a problem.
Not until yesterday they sorted contract out with Geelong.
Freo had no interest in speaking to Mitch.
Manager says Mitch's passion is as high as when he met him as 16 year old.
Manager can't see how Geelong won't be top 4 if Clark and Frawley join. Potential Frawley addition never discussed with Mitch/Club.

Saints said this morning they want to look in to getting him.
Not really Pelchen said he would now look at him, wasn't looking at him prior to Balme mentioning him as possibly wanting to move

As long as he is durable - over his foot issues. We have potentially lost a few finals due to injuries. Just too many - so I do not want another. But if he passes all the test - then go for it.

I just do not know if we are going to play him CHF or ruck ?

But at least his selection has us thinking about a few more options.

Get Frawley and we have a lot of options.

Potential Rucks - Clark, Simpson, Blitz, Hmac, Vardy and the new Irish Rookie.

Potential CHF - Clark, Vardy, Taylor, Walker or Frawley.

Potential Key Position Backs - Taylor, Frawley and Lonergan.

Third tall forward - Kerten and Brown.

If these two players came we would have such a potentially strong spine and maybe ruck set up. Better than last season I would think. And that is the key here to have a better team in 2015 than we did this season - and one that also renews the team with younger players.

All we may have to do is add a good small forward (maybe McCarthy), a stronger midfield (hopefully a natural outcome from having a better ruck set up and Caddy, Bundy and GHS improve as ball getting and clearance players) and some run out of defence - and we would be quite a competitive unit next season.

Still I just cannot see things working out so well for us. We have been a great team but nearly all the time we faced some serious adversity - and not often had we been gifted such a potential coup. I think it is a bold move but it has the potential to see us be a stronger club next season.

The costs surely will be mitigated by the retirement of Enright, HMac, Kelly and Lonergan at the end of 2015. And by 2016 Bartel and SJ will likely be gone. All these guys would have significant contracts.

PS. As a side issue we would have a potentially terrific VFL side with Hmac, Simpson and the new Irish recruit as ruckmen ! Lang, Hartman and JJ all developing mids, Hamling, Kolo and Bews all developing backs and Brown (maybe) and Walker as a KPFs with Vardy ! Cowan on the ball with Menzel on a HFF. Bates a small crumbing forward. Now that sounds like a pretty strong side to me.

I'm really not sure we should chase Clarke hard, the mental problems alone are a huge concern without even factoring in his past injuries. If Melbourne want to kick up a stink then let them send him to the draft and watch other clubs pass on a depressed player who may have no interest in playing for them. The only way I can see this trade working for all parties is if its with Frawley.

I'm really not sure we should chase Clarke hard, the mental problems alone are a huge concern without even factoring in his past injuries. If Melbourne want to kick up a stink then let them send him to the draft and watch other clubs pass on a depressed player who may have no interest in playing for them. The only way I can see this trade working for all parties is if its with Frawley.

Clark is coming full stop, and Frawley is nothing to do with trading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark comes at a cost so I wouldn't say full stop, Melbourne can reject our offer...

Then we'll just get him with our last live pick in the draft.

Realistically with all the players we're looking at bringing in outside the draft we're only going to have 2 live picks + Blicavs upgrade. If we can't get a deal done for Clark then we'll still take the first 2 picks as normal and then whatever pick we get for Hunt (~40) we'll just use on Clark. No club is going to use a top 40 pick on an injury prone guy with mental issues when he's said he wants to go to a different club.

Then we'll just get him with our last live pick in the draft.

Realistically with all the players we're looking at bringing in outside the draft we're only going to have 2 live picks + Blicavs upgrade. If we can't get a deal done for Clark then we'll still take the first 2 picks as normal and then whatever pick we get for Hunt (~40) we'll just use on Clark. No club is going to use a top 40 pick on an injury prone guy with mental issues when he's said he wants to go to a different club.
I would be perfectly fine with a pick 40+ for Clarke, not happy to give them Trav though

Of course they would. Who would want to go to Melbourne?

Gillies, Byrnes....

Any chance that someone like Schroder is technically still on the list so we can trade him to a team like Melbourne as part of a deal for Clark - because as much as we have said he is delisted, until team lists are officially lodged, would the player would still be on the team list?

I'm thinking kinda like last year where we knew that Pod's, J. Hunt were delisted/new contract not offered and on the last day or so of trade period we got deals done for them to head to a new clubs so they didn't have to wait until the delisted free agency period to sign. Maybe we could try and use our 2nd or 3rd round pick for Clark and if the Demons want players and someone/s like Schroder or Burbury are players they wouldn't mind we could include them in the trade to try and sweeten things for us as we know those guys won't be around next year anyway and it gets things moving quicker for all - maybe then get a 3rd round pick back as well if we originally use our 2nd rounder in the trade.

I thought Turbo was talking about Walker.

Id love to keep him but I see several club knocking his door down and ours. Got potted for saying we should see what his value is but to me , we may as well be clinical in these thing. IF we rate Inkman that much , then we may as well cash him in and redraft if we can get a reasonable deal.The way it sounds at the Dogs , they will be desperate for someone like Walker to come in.

Im really a fence sitter on Clark , can see what they want do ,stay competitive min, be a bigger threat. We have 2 maybe three years before GC and GWS kick in and we have 12 months of some of our oldies left and Selwood and Hawkins are right in the zone. On Clarke they are rolling dice again because no one doubts his max is very high. I think you could almost argue that if we do not get Frawley , that we should then start look at mid options. We have all the look of loading up , waste of time having a stacked forwardline if we can control the all , cant move it quick enough etc.

Gillies, Byrnes....

Any chance that someone like Schroder is technically still on the list so we can trade him to a team like Melbourne as part of a deal for Clark - because as much as we have said he is delisted, until team lists are officially lodged, would the player would still be on the team list?

I'm thinking kinda like last year where we knew that Pod's, J. Hunt were delisted/new contract not offered and on the last day or so of trade period we got deals done for them to head to a new clubs so they didn't have to wait until the delisted free agency period to sign. Maybe we could try and use our 2nd or 3rd round pick for Clark and if the Demons want players and someone/s like Schroder or Burbury are players they wouldn't mind we could include them in the trade to try and sweeten things for us as we know those guys won't be around next year anyway and it gets things moving quicker for all - maybe then get a 3rd round pick back as well if we originally use our 2nd rounder in the trade.
I think the presumption is players already delisted have no trade value as they are now free agents.

Gillies, Byrnes....

No. Delisted is delisted.
It doesn't matter if you're employed until Oct 30. He is a free agent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back