Cats plea to AFL for financial help (Age)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe they should ask the state govt for more of the taxpayer's money to fund their further stadium refit.

It's worked every time so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every Victorian AFL club has received tax payer funding to improve their facilities. Including yours.

Exactly. We're about 5 years away from being in a similar state to the NRL, as a "TV game" that fans don't actually go to.
Yep.

I mean the AFL and TV networks have literally decided to sacrifice attendances and membership allegiance for TV ratings. So why would anyone be surprised when this plays out as planned?

So, smart investment with the lights then?
Let's not forget the lights are not there to increase attendances.

The lights are there to hold more games at night to increase TV ratings (and attendances be damned).

I've been thinking that if clubs want bigger crowds then they need something out of the box to get the punters in. Some competitions where people can win prizes is one idea. I have been working on a concept that I originally shared on the north board but would be happy for Geelong to use it too.

The idea is that when you enter the gate, you get a raffle ticket which you hold on to until half time. At half time they draw the raffle and whoever has the matching ticket wins a meat tray. They can go and collect their meat tray at half time if they wish but I'm still trying to work this out as someone might not want to sit with a meat tray for the whole of the second half.

Another issue I ran into was how they can safely get the meat home. It needs to be kept cold and if the people have a long drive or train ride home (like back to Geelong) then their could be problems.

My idea was a plastic bag filled with ice which would keep it cool. Someone suggested maybe a cooler bag in the club colours which would be a better idea but would have to look into costs as we want to keep costs down.

There could also be themes for different players like kosher (no pork) for Goldstein, maybe some Italian meats for an Italian player etc.

I'm still working out a few bugs and will then be putting a proposal to a couple of clubs and the afl.

Anything gets shaky it's always worth reserving the right to get back to your grassroot support IMO. It's what teams in the NRL should've been able to do to prop themselves up and regain sustainability.

These blanket agreements are great for $$$ but the AFL needs to keep some wiggle room in there for when s**t goes south. It's poor strategic management if you don't plan for downturns.

Is anyone else having trouble sharing this article on Facebook? I want to tag all my Geelong supporter friends to rub it in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been thinking that if clubs want bigger crowds then they need something out of the box to get the punters in. Some competitions where people can win prizes is one idea. I have been working on a concept that I originally shared on the north board but would be happy for Geelong to use it too.

The idea is that when you enter the gate, you get a raffle ticket which you hold on to until half time. At half time they draw the raffle and whoever has the matching ticket wins a meat tray. They can go and collect their meat tray at half time if they wish but I'm still trying to work this out as someone might not want to sit with a meat tray for the whole of the second half.

Another issue I ran into was how they can safely get the meat home. It needs to be kept cold and if the people have a long drive or train ride home (like back to Geelong) then their could be problems.

My idea was a plastic bag filled with ice which would keep it cool. Someone suggested maybe a cooler bag in the club colours which would be a better idea but would have to look into costs as we want to keep costs down.

There could also be themes for different players like kosher (no pork) for Goldstein, maybe some Italian meats for an Italian player etc.

I'm still working out a few bugs and will then be putting a proposal to a couple of clubs and the afl.
Wow a raffle with a prize of a meat tray.
Really groundbreaking new idea champ!

I like the idea but from experience I have found a slab raffle can make a club 20-30 dollars more than a meat tray. While the outgoings buying a slab might exceed a meat tray (depending on the cuts of meat) ticket sales will generally be higher. If a child wins you can easily substitute the slab of beer for soft drink. Clubs could also do a raffle where each crowd member is given a player and if their player kicks the first goal they win half the raffle takings.

How many Geelongs are there in Melbourne?

I would have thought the answer is zero, so they play their games in, you know, Geelong? I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.

Are you unhappy that you don't have a home ground to call your own? Seems a bizarre rant to go on.

Nice diversion, the real issue here is that you have to travel the least out of any team. You should have to play more interstate games than other sides to even the equation.

No, but they don't have to bail every club out if that happens.

At the very least, any assistance should come with heavy restrictions on future spending to prevent it happening again.

Like they did to Sydney, Brisbane and West Coast when they went broke?

Or is your firm stand only applied to Vic clubs?

LOL

Your club isnt even subject to the luxury tax (not in any sort of meaningful way whatsoever)

Yeah, we just pay more for the 'old' equalisation tax on attendances than your club does...

Last edited:
Maybe to a small extent. The reality is Geelong is easily bringing in enough money to sustain an AFL side (irrespective of the number of cheap nothing memberships they might sell), they just choose to spend too much.

Be pretty easy to drop a couple of these coaches for example and balance the books.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/football/coaches

10 coaches is a bit excessive. Seems like a few of them are jobs for the boys.

Pathetic effort by the GFC.
Honestly, how much longer are the big clubs going to have to prop up these minnows?
simpsons-sarcasm-detector-broken-o.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back