Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Do remember that Geelong have their own Melbourne supporter base to appease as well. This would be a good solution to Geelong's problems though.

The AFL wouldn't want Geelong playing Hawthorn at KP and missing out on a MCG block buster though.

Their Melb supporters can still see them when they play their away games at the G and at Etihad. Syd and Bris have plenty of Melb supporters and they don't play home games at the G.

The draw shouldn't be about attendances at all. Piss off the fixture and give us a draw.

The AFL wouldn't want Geelong playing Hawthorn at KP and missing out on a MCG block buster though.

So where is it written that Geelong have ever asked to play Hawthorn at Simonds??? You're just not making any sense?? Making s**t up like a typical troll.

You do realise that teams you don't play twice in a year tend to have a rotation policy. One year you play them away, the next year is a home game, the year after away etc. o_O
i meant vic clubs rotate on going down to simmonds. i.e.: collingwood in 2015, essendon in 2016, carlton in 2017, hawthorn in 2018, richmond in 2019, collingwood in 2020

is that what you were getting at?

No problem with Geelong playing all their home games at KP. I reckon all clubs should have a home ground. Richmond & Melbourne should keep MCG all the rest find your own and AFL must fund new stadium upgrades.

So where is it written that Geelong have ever asked to play Hawthorn at Simonds??? You're just not making any sense?? Making s**t up like a typical troll.

You keep nit picking things and giving these weird out of context responses.

I was discussing with someone else about the possibility of Geelong playing every home game at Simonds.

Their Melb supporters can still see them when they play their away games at the G and at Etihad. Syd and Bris have plenty of Melb supporters and they don't play home games at the G.

The draw shouldn't be about attendances at all. Piss off the fixture and give us a draw.

I would prefer a draw myself too but with 18 clubs demanding different things it's hard to please everyone.

That's the problem right there.

Anyway, Geelong can play all their home games at KP if they push hard enough, or if they really, really, really want to.

Not just convenient finals games that they lose.

The logic behind the game been at KP instead of the G was rather weird.

"Freo fans won't come to see a belting" :oops:

1969 was the last year Geelong played all home games at KP. In fact, in only roughly 27 out of their 115 seasons has this occurred.*

*Being a bit cheeky and counting all those years at Corio as well.
So pre VFL Park

When did Hawthorn last play there? Probably more recent than Collingwood or Essendon.

I guess that's what you get with a 'boutique' home ground. You get to pick and bloody choose.

KP is bog ordinary compared to the G and Etihad.

The stadium isn't good enough to host any "blockbusters" and you already play Carlton at neutral ground. I don't see why Geelongs whinge about nobody wanting to play them at KP when opposition clubs gain nothing by doing so.

You want to talk about an out of date BOG hole....Optus Oval anyone? Face it you flogs sold your soul to Etihad while Geelong survived at KP and are going from strength to strength

I wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact that those Geelong mongrels only allow 200 of our fans in, and they don't even get the chance to have all the fans behind the goals, they shove them off into some obscure corner.. yeh nah, get ****ed..

I don't mind playing 3 home games in Melbourne each year for the Melbourne members sake (which includes me) but it should be against s**t clubs (even interstae ones) and leave the good clubs to come down and take us on at our own home ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet they drew less than 35k to the MCG for our home game this year.

Cool.

You do realise a majority of most clubs members get 11 game memberships to home games only? Why should you single out Richmond supporters when there are thousands of whinging Geelong supporters who complain they never get tickets to a Simonds Stadium game that didnt turn up. More onus on Geelong members/supporters to turn up to Cats home games.

Don't consider either "big" clubs TBH, and Richmond aren't really a blockbuster opponent considering how recently they've played at Kardinia. Would be awesome to host Carlton there under lights though. With the disappointing crowds the game drew at Etihad this year (36k and 38k - only a few shy of Simonds' capacity) and the fact Carlton aren't a great side at this point in time, I think the AFL might be beginning to see it as a plausible option. From an attendance, TV and $$$ POV, it actually makes a lot more sense for us to host these two in Geelong now.

There's little scope for Collingwood or Essendon to travel there of course. And until Hawthorn drop off the pace again (e.g. do a St Kilda), they'll remain in the same basket.

Don't consider either "big" clubs TBH, and Richmond aren't really a blockbuster opponent considering how recently they've played at Kardinia. Would be awesome to host Carlton there under lights though. With the disappointing crowds the game drew at Etihad this year (36k and 38k - only a few shy of Simonds' capacity) and the fact Carlton aren't a great side at this point in time, I think the AFL might be beginning to see it as a plausible option.

There's little scope for Collingwood or Essendon to travel there of course. And until Hawthorn drop off the pace again (e.g. do a St Kilda), they'll remain in the same basket.

If Carlton play Geelong twice with 1 game at KP and the other at MCG I wouldn't mind.

That scenario benefits both teams.

Not questioning that, but we played a home game against them at the MCG this year.

How is it fair for us to play a "home" game against a team, on their home ground?

Why is it all of a sudden Richmond can't come to KP, as they have been doing for years?

How about whining a bit less about Richmond and a bit more at the other "big" Melbourne clubs? Like Barry_Badrinath has already said...

Richmond played there in 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2001.
Hawthorn have played there in 2006 and 2001.
Collingwood haven't been there since 1999.
Carlton haven't been there since 1997.
Essendon haven't been there since 1993.

If Carlton play Geelong twice with 1 game at KP and the other at MCG I wouldn't mind.

That scenario benefits both teams.

Why exactly does it matter where your away games are scheduled? Carlton could play their home games against us at Princes Park or, heck, on Mars for all I care. Your home game, your choice of venue. The same applies to us and every other club.

The more Vic clubs play at SS the better as far as I am concerned - badly skews our fixture by having to play in Geelong every single year and hardly ever getting to play at the MCG. Think last years GF was only the second time we played there in 2013. Geelong have a fair old home ground advantage which those teams get to dodge as well.

We'll get Richmond here in future years, maybe Hawthorn again once they happen to fall down the ladder. Not so sure about the Blues though, or any club that hasn't played us at Kardinia Park since the 1990's for that matter.

Even when Carlton were absolutely shizenhousen in the early 2000's, they were never fixtured to play at Geelong. I don't know what the AFL have in mind with the recent lights and capacity increases, but I honestly think it's a bit of a stretch to say they will suddenly begin sending sides down here who have dodged the trip for 15-20 years. You had to be around in the days of gravel terraces and duffle coats to see that happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back