Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't tell me one might get wet watching an outdoor sport in the middle of winter!

Next you'll tell me you might get sunburnt at the tennis in January!

I mind the rain less than the vantage point. It used to be a great ground to watch footy at. Probably still is, as long as you're a Geelong member.

I mind the rain less than the vantage point. It used to be a great ground to watch footy at. Probably still is, as long as you're a Geelong member.
Well those terraces are about the only vantage points that haven't moved.

And the opposition cheer squad gets put behind the points instead of goals.
Because that's where the opposition teams' ball spends most time. Its a tricky ground to master

This would be so much easier if Geelong was its own state...

I feel for Geelong wanting a bigger game at KP. We have to have 3 of our biggest games (Collingwood, Richmond and Hawks) at ANZ and that sucks. Other than Hawks and maybe Collingwood, whichever Victorian team they play twice, they should have them once at Geelong and once at MCG or Docklands. This year for example Carlton and Roos games both should've been at KP for the Geelong home game. Hawks both at the MCG (couldn't have it anywhere else). Freo and Lions at KP.

May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From my own teams perspective (Hawthorn for the lazy). They would never play at KP as long as the 4 games in Tasmania stays. The Geelong vs Hawthorn game where Geelong are the 'home' team is one of our 4 replacement games. As per contract with the AFL, we must have 4 replacements each year. From memory, there are 3 other full time tenants at the MCG. We have only player Collingwood twice in the year on a regular basis. So that is 1 replacement game. The other part time tenants are Carlton, Essendon and Geelong. In recent times, we have played Carlton and Essendon once in the regular season, most of the time, Their home game. What I am trying to say is that due to other clubs contracts and such. Geelong will always have to play a certain amount of games at the MCG.

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
What's your point? You've just demonstrated you have no idea what redevelopment has occurred at Simonds Stadium

You added lights and new stands. Congrats.

It's a cold miserable "boutique" stadium that gives Geelong strong financial and on-field advantages that other Melbourne teams can't get over Geelong when they play them at the neutral G or Etihad.

BTW saying Boutique a hundred times doens't change the fact that it's still pretty average.

May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From my own teams perspective (Hawthorn for the lazy). They would never play at KP as long as the 4 games in Tasmania stays. The Geelong vs Hawthorn game where Geelong are the 'home' team is one of our 4 replacement games. As per contract with the AFL, we must have 4 replacements each year. From memory, there are 3 other full time tenants at the MCG. We have only player Collingwood twice in the year on a regular basis. So that is 1 replacement game. The other part time tenants are Carlton, Essendon and Geelong. In recent times, we have played Carlton and Essendon once in the regular season, most of the time, Their home game. What I am trying to say is that due to other clubs contracts and such. Geelong will always have to play a certain amount of games at the MCG.

EDIT: Sorry for some typos and poor wording. I am on my phone.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Not just the MCG, that'd actually be good, but also at Docklands against the clubs wishes and invariably at night which is massively inconvenient for Geelong based supporters.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

It's a cold miserable "boutique" stadium that gives Geelong strong financial and on-field advantages that other Melbourne teams can't get over Geelong when they play them at the neutral G or Etihad.

BTW saying Boutique a hundred times doens't change the fact that it's still pretty average.

What's the problem with that?

It's Geelong's home ground.

Subiaco is a shithole but I'd rather play our home games in Perth than in Melbourne

Saying "cold" a hundred times doesn't change the fact that the average temperature in Geelong is less than a degree different to that of Melbourne.

So there we have it. This should be linked back to the thread about why Geelong is disliked.

BTW, I am more than happy to keep playing Carlton at Etihad as we are unbeatable against the Blues

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
KP is bog ordinary compared to the G and Etihad.

The stadium isn't good enough to host any "blockbusters" and you already play Carlton at neutral ground. I don't see why Geelongs whinge about nobody wanting to play them at KP when opposition clubs gain nothing by doing so.

Sorry?
Where is your home ground again?

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
What's the problem with that?

It's Geelong's home ground.

Subiaco is a shithole but I'd rather play our home games in Perth than in Melbourne

When a Melbourne team plays Geelong they have two choices.

One is playing Geelong at a neutral ground OR playng them at Kardinia which favours Geelong.

Melbourne clubs either break even or are completely disadvantaged in more then a fews. It's pretty easier to understand why most Melbourne clubs do all they can to avoid playing there. Geelong's fans can't really complain about fairness when the only one who ever benefits is them.

Pretty simple really. 8 games at KP. 3 home games at the G.
One of Rich, Ess, Carl, Collingwood, Hawks play the "8th" game at KP each year on a rotational basis once every 5 years to keep the "big" babies from crying too much.

They, the ohh ahh big ones, play 1 game there every 5 years or so. Cats "lose" money per se on the bigger gate takings on a "big " game but get the 8th KP game as a result of it.

The "big" ones only have to do the highway 1 in every 5 years. Or is that too much to ask.

Go Catters

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Good on Geelong for 'pushing' to have a big Victorian team play at KP.

Should definitely be done at the expense of their home MCG games, why they are given MCG home games when actual MCG tenant clubs have to play home games elsewhere?

Let em have games at Simonds and if they want to look after their Melbourne fans, play some games at Etihad.

Back