List Mgmt. Free agent: Geelong signs Sam Blease as a delisted free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, I don't mean that they don't have more than one string to their bow. I mean they actually have legitimate positions where they have runs on the board. Unlike many of ours players, as we still don't know where half of them actually will fit.

I would agree with that to a certain extent. Most of our older players would definitely have a more defined role, which is what all of these players mentioned, bar gunston are. It's expected to a degree that younger players will possibly start off playing a bit of this and a bit of that until they find their niche.

I think given time, players like blicavs, Murdoch, caddy and blease for example will find that too, or be delisted in due course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we going to pick him up in the draft or as a delisted free agent?

DFA it would be so he can start training with the club as early as possible.

DFA period opens from Nov 1

Nope. I'm arguing Hawthorn recruit good footballers first and foremost, they hone their football skills above everything else, and they have a game plan that utilises that advantage. They're not the biggest, they're not the tallest, they're certainly not the fastest. But they don't have many if any players with questionable skills and when it matters their football skills get the job done.

Really? In the last 4 drafts their first picks have been Billy Hartung, Tim O'brien, Brad Hill and Isaac Smith. Here are their results at the combine:

Billy Hartung hold the all-time record for the beep test at the combine.
Tim Obrien was top 3 for agility and top 10 in repeat sprints.
Brad Hill was 1st in the beep test (then a record), 1st for 3km time trial, top 5 for 20m sprints and top 10 for repeat sprints.
Isaac Smith was at the Victorian state screening but his scores were top 10 for the beep test and 1st for vertical jump. He was also an elite runner before he turned to footy.

Not surprisingly Smith, Hartung and Hill were the top 3 for Hawthorn in their preseason 2km time trial this year:

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2013-12-04/smith-wins-time-trial.workstation

So with their earliest pick in the draft in the last 4 years Hawthorn has picked 1 skinny key forward with great speed and agility along with 3 running machines. All 3 of them have some serious football ability but all of them were only picked that high because of their fitness and speed. If it was purely down to kicking, handballing, marking and ball-winning ability all of those guys would've gone way later in the draft.

Really? In the last 4 drafts their first picks have been Billy Hartung, Tim O'brien, Brad Hill and Isaac Smith.

Yes really. Unless I missed something I'm pretty sure there were other Hawthorn players out there Grand Final day. I'm reasonably sure Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis aren't going to be winning any sprints in the immediate future. Tons of ability though.

Yes really. Unless I missed something I'm pretty sure there were other Hawthorn players out there Grand Final day. I'm reasonably sure Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis aren't going to be winning any sprints in the immediate future. Tons of ability though.

So when you say "recruit" in the present tense you are really referring to their recruitment from a decade or more ago? To be fair we had our fair share of handy players picked up back then too and likewise they weren't going to be winning any sprints. But if Hawthorn were right way back then you've got to wonder why they're now consistently picking up athletic freaks with their first pick.

So when you say "recruit" in the present tense you are really referring to their recruitment from a decade or more ago? To be fair we had our fair share of handy players picked up back then too and likewise they weren't going to be winning any sprints. But if Hawthorn were right way back then you've got to wonder why they're now consistently picking up athletic freaks with their first pick.

Again the presumption. If only people would just ask.

No I don't mean only players from a decade or more ago. I mean recruit = get players to the club. Whether that's a skinny 17-year-old in a National draft, or a trade, who however. Whatever causes them to arrive at that particular club.

So, we could also add to the fleet of whippets you listed James Frawley, or even better Jonathon Ceglar, Brian Lake, Ben McEvoy, and Matthew Spangher. None of those players have been at Hawthorn for more than two seasons. Would you call that fairly recent?

No I don't mean only players from a decade or more ago. I mean recruit = get players to the club. Whether that's a skinny 17-year-old in a National draft, or a trade, who however. Whatever causes them to arrive at that particular club.

So, we could also add to the fleet of whippets you listed James Frawley, or even better Jonathon Ceglar, Brian Lake, Ben McEvoy, and Matthew Spangher. None of those players have been at Hawthorn for more than two seasons. Would you call that fairly recent?

This is what I and others initially responded to...

Your Quote....You mean, recruit good young footballers........with actual football skills........and get them fitter and match hardened???

Only Hawthorn do that. Look at where it's got them.....end quote.

Amazing the difference a page makes!
Yup, Lake, Gibson, McEvoy et al is the best youth policy I've ever seen.

Why are people here, and the club, always looking for guys who can "make the transition", "develop into", blah blah blah.

K.I.S.S. Take a kid who can already win the ball, and develop that skill further.
Sorry to butt in, but I keep going on about CAVARRA. He is a gem at getting it and using it, against him is height, only height. Is it that critical? Think of all the frees he'll get for head-high tackles!

can this trade period get any worse
EASILY.
Do you recall the period we lost Williams, Toohey, Bolton and coach Hafey?
Now that was BAD.
What we see now is hopefully win- win situations everywhere.

This is what I and others initially responded to...

Your Quote....You mean, recruit good young footballers........with actual football skills........and get them fitter and match hardened???

Only Hawthorn do that. Look at where it's got them.....end quote.

Amazing the difference a page makes!
Yup, Lake, Gibson, McEvoy et al is the best youth policy I've ever seen.

And I also said above that Hawthorn weren't the fastest side. Because they have 4 quick players apparently that's wrong too. That happened in less than a page.

I like what I read about Panos, definitely what we need. Would go well side by side with JJ.

At least at the moment.
Panos has been in the AFL system at The Bullies but as an undersized key forward, he was also very young and they were far less patient than the Cats although he played well in the VFL.
Reinvented as a massive mid he's shown his adaptability and unrealised talents to become a standout in the SANFL.
He's the perfect age to blend with the younger boys as well as the senior group. Wells will get minimum one mature ager imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least at the moment.
Panos has been in the AFL system at The Bullies but as an undersized key forward, he was also very young and they were far less patient than the Cats although he played well in the VFL.
Reinvented as a massive mid he's shown his adaptability and unrealised talents to become a standout in the SANFL.
He's the perfect age to blend with the younger boys as well as the senior group. Wells will get minimum one mature ager imo.

Is Blease that Mature ager?

Is Blease that Mature ager?

If he's around 23, I think that's what they've said, then yes, this in between group is the area where we were lacking.
We need Panos for inside grunt which he'd provide, also 23 year old.
I hope Blease turns out, he plays the game his way by the sounds but if extra outside pace is now a problem it gives us that option.
I mean we've still got Murdoch, Motlop and Duncan can motor a bit.
I think adding him is a good thing, just hope he goes 100%.

At least at the moment.

What pick do you think he would go around? Would he be there for our 2nd pick?

What pick do you think he would go around? Would he be there for our 2nd pick?

It's all about the value and perceived impact a mature player might bring, Wells and Balme might see him as a vital inclusion or not, I'd move early if it was my choice.
Blease was lucky we had a particular need that suited his outside game,.... I think that's a done deal?

See normally your posts are pretty clear what you're arguing. It's just that what you're arguing changes completely within the space of a few hours.

And here's an example of just that. As TheHonestyPolicy said, your initial claim was about Hawthorn's recruitment of young footballers being based on football ability and that they recruit (present tense) based on football ability rather than athletic ability. When I pointed out the bleeding obvious, that their recruitment of young footballers has overwhelmingly favoured those with elite athletic ability, you brought up players that have been with them for 10 years or more.

So what are you arguing? Are you talking about recruitment of young footballers recently (where you started)? In that case how do Smith, Hill and Hartung fit with that? Are you talking about their drafting a decade or more ago (that's where you went next)? Or are you talking about their recruitment of mature players (where you seem to have ended up), which doesn't seem much different to our recruitment of mature players in recent years (Clark, Caddy, McIntosh and Rivers aren't athletes but they're all damn good footballers when up and running)? If the goalposts stayed in the same place rather than moving around all the time it might be easier to get down to the details of what you're actually trying to say.

So what are you arguing? Are you talking about recruitment of young footballers recently (where you started)? In that case how do Smith, Hill and Hartung fit with that? Are you talking about their drafting a decade or more ago (that's where you went next)? Or are you talking about their recruitment of mature players (where you seem to have ended up), which doesn't seem much different to our recruitment of mature players in recent years (Clark, Caddy, McIntosh and Rivers aren't athletes but they're all damn good footballers when up and running)? If the goalposts stayed in the same place rather than moving around all the time it might be easier to get down to the details of what you're actually trying to say.

I'm talking about recruiting footballers. Full stop. Any age. Via any means. I made the heinous, gruesome error of including the word 'young' in that opening post; for that I must deeply and humbly apologise. Naturally that is unlikely to be anywhere near sufficient.

I am gratified though that the 'goalposts' (to borrow your term) have been reset; at least we know were we can pretend things stand.

Nope. I'm arguing Hawthorn recruit good footballers first and foremost, they hone their football skills above everything else, and they have a game plan that utilises that advantage. They're not the biggest, they're not the tallest, they're certainly not the fastest. But they don't have many if any players with questionable skills and when it matters their football skills get the job done.

If you want to know what I'm really arguing try asking.

I guess what is missing from this argument, is their core was founded on bottoming out. With a number of high picks getting the cream, then being able to piece together role players to suit.

I wish we could have pick one and three in the draft.
The hawks had three in the top 7. Oh the luxury. Sure Franklin is gone, but two of those are driving the club.

I guess what is missing from this argument, is their core was founded on bottoming out. With a number of high picks getting the cream, then being able to piece together role players to suit.

The hawks had three in the top 7. Oh the luxury. Sure Franklin is gone, but two of those are driving the club.

It's only one component of their team though. Those same players were there when they missed the finals in 2009 and then bombed out in the first week the following year. None of us were envious of Hawthorn then (or the following year of course).

Hawthorn are in their premiership prime and how ppl talk about them now reminds me off days when the Catters were in that place. People felt as if the Cats juggernaut would go on indefinitely. Time is catching up with us and that optimism isn't so rosy now, and I suspect the same will happen to Hawthorn in the next few years. Once their senior champions start retiring, they may find that the second tier isn't as good as they thought (hopefully). Suddenly they're beatable again (at least by the top 8 teams). I think the Hawthorn system is to be applauded, but time catches up with everyone eventually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back