News Cats set new League record

Remove this Banner Ad

A long time ago. And I've wiped that year from the memory. :)

Geelong has now improved its record from the past 200 games to 155-1-44 135.08%.

This just trails the Collingwood record of 156-4-40 128.26% from Round 4 1927 to Round 4 1937.

Three losses will be dropping out of the streak in the next three games. If Geelong wins two of its next three games, it will have the most wins ever from 200 matches (157-1-42) but will trail Collingwood's overall record due to their four draws. If Geelong wins its next three games, it will set the new bar at 158-1-41.
A draw and two wins in the next three would also equal Collingwood 1927-37 match/win% of 79.0.

Geelong is also moving up the best from 300 table and has six losses from 2002 to lose from the sequence in the next 10 matches.

Love this number :D
As of round 13 2014, some more Geelong ‘matches ago’.

263 matches ago – last lost to the eventual Wooden-spooner.

691 matches ago – last lost consecutive matches by 10 goals or more.

717 matches ago – last lost all four quarters to Hawthorn.

718 matches ago – last trailed by 6 goals or more at quarter-time at Kardinia Park.

950 matches ago – last lost to the Bulldogs in all four quarters.

992 matches ago – last had score doubled by Melbourne

1,232 matches ago – last lost consecutive matches in all four quarters.

1,503 matches ago – last finished a season with a win% under 20%.

As of round 13 2014, some more Geelong ‘matches ago’.

263 matches ago – last lost to the eventual Wooden-spooner.

691 matches ago – last lost consecutive matches by 10 goals or more.

717 matches ago – last lost all four quarters to Hawthorn.

718 matches ago – last trailed by 6 goals or more at quarter-time at Kardinia Park.

950 matches ago – last lost to the Bulldogs in all four quarters.

992 matches ago – last had score doubled by Melbourne

1,232 matches ago – last lost consecutive matches in all four quarters.

1,503 matches ago – last finished a season with a win% under 20%.

Scary thing is that i was at #'s 691 and 690.....where finishing 1983 with a pair of games against that year's Grand Finalists (and at K.P to boot)...was rather ugly indeed. Pair of 12 goal losses or worse. That Rd 12 1982 game at Waverley also wasn't much chop...it actually wouldn't have been all that far from a dead-ringer for the same game in 1990.

And i'm guessing game number 950 was that game in 1968 at the Western Oval (in a year that this year is panning out like...ie a huge loss that made our percentage in '68 rather poor as the Swans game did this season.

And it took W.W.2 for Geelong to have that terrible season in 1944, having just rejoined after the two-year hiatus.

Thanks R.R, some of those games just highlight how competitive Geelong has been for a very long time, even back when we were not winning Flags. That stat where 1973 is the last season Geelong's failed to win seven games in a season, and 1986 being the last year of bottom four says that we cannot complain about what most of us have seen in our lifetimes, even for the oldies like me.

A draw and two wins in the next three would also equal Collingwood 1927-37 match/win% of 79.0.

Geelong is also moving up the best from 300 table and has six losses from 2002 to lose from the sequence in the next 10 matches.

The last 300 starts from Rd 1 2002, so Geelong until Rd 5 2004 proceeds to lose 29 and draw one of the next 48 games they play. So if Geelong can win at say even a 2:1 clip in the next 48 games, say 32 wins, they'll leap to 2nd on that list of 300, before they hit a fairly rich vein of wins in 2004 and the first half of 2005. They'd have to near emulate 2007-2011 again though to knock the Pies off their lofty perch. Still, Geelong's made good ground in the 300 game chart, as they were i think 196 or something out of 300 which encompassed the successful 50's and 60's periods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a bit of a mid-season form resurgence in 2006, so the lack of losses dropping off the end of our streak over the next three games especially will probably be enough to preclude us from overtaking Collingwood's 'Best from 200 matches' record.

If Rd 10 2006 is the first day of our last 200 games, that i think was the infamous West Coast game, and we fell to 3-7 after that. Basically Geelong then proceed to lose a total of seven games in the following 17 matches with one draw. So if Geelong win 10 or more games in the next 17 matches, they can improve from this mark. Obviously if they can win 12 of them...they may get the best record of all time in 200 games. But from RD 6 2007, Geelong win 15 in a row, so the next 17 games decides it.

And just checking the 1937 season, the Pies lose five games from Rd 5 1937 until Rd 17 1937, going 8-5 in those 13 rounds. So the Cats do have a window of opportunity if they can pick up some wins in this next few weeks. FWIW the Pies lose in Rd's 5 and 7 in 1937.

Geelong has now won 157 from its past 200 games - the most wins from 200 successive games in 118 years of the VFL/AFL.

That's an incredible feat. Games like yesterday typify how difficult it is. Tricky opponent, horrible conditions, but they were still able to grind out a win.

We may bitch and moan now that we're not undefeated every year, or that every 2nd year player isn't a star (and we horribly overrate all our players), but the facts state it plainly - this is the greatest era in the club's history. To rebuild from 2011 onwards and have home and away seasons of 15-7, 18-4, and 11-4 so far is a remarkable effort.

To put things in perspective against everyone else's records

7enurysy.jpg

With Geelong now having won the last three games....Does Geelong now lay claim to the best record over the last 200 games?

I counted the next three from the 1937 season where the Pies lost two of those, and in Geelong's case we did win three games mid-season in 2006 at the start of this sequence.

But i'll await better men than me to see!

With Geelong now having won the last three games....Does Geelong now lay claim to the best record over the last 200 games?

I counted the next three from the 1937 season where the Pies lost two of those, and in Geelong's case we did win three games mid-season in 2006 at the start of this sequence.

But i'll await better men than me to see!
With the win over the Bulldogs, we went to 157 wins and 1 draw (but behind Collingwoods 156 wins and 4 draws). With last week's win, the streak was kept at the same level as a win dropped off the other end. The same thing has happened this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back