Opinion Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

Has obviously gone past Grimley. Our injury/relief ruckman in 2014. Looked like an absolute spud at Collingwood, but goes to show what maturity and a good club can do for your stock. Pleasantly surprised by his form so far.

Looks good. May have overtaken Grimmers, but can't say that Grimmers is playing all that shabby, either!

Put it this way, if Hale got injured the season I'd be confident that Ceglar could take us deep into September. His set shot at goal is very Gunston esk.

Put it this way, if Hale got injured the season I'd be confident that Ceglar could take us deep into September. His set shot at goal is very Gunston esk.
I think you undersell Hale here Ceglar is an honest contributor but he is light years from being able to do what Hale has done for us the last couple of years. I would almost say that Hale is one of the most improved footballers at our club if not the AFL

I think you undersell Hale here Ceglar is an honest contributor but he is light years from being able to do what Hale has done for us the last couple of years. I would almost say that Hale is one of the most improved footballers at our club if not the AFL

He's always been good for us, but I think he was even better last year without the rug.

I was a big fan the way he was playing toward the pointy end of the season. His attack on the ball was sublime. I was also quite impressed with his delivery inside 50. It seemed he would continually mark the ball 55-70 meters out and then hit one of our other forwards on the chest inside 50. I'd be interested to see how many goal assists he got.

I still can't believe how underrated Hale is internally by some... There is a good reason why Hale was a top ten draft pick. Not many ruckman can go forward and kick a bag of 8 - while he was at The kangaroos. Hale was extremely unlucky at North and once Goldstein arrived his cards were marked and he was left to rot in the twos. I really like Ceglar,and think that he is on the way to being Hales eventual replacement but as said previously he is still light years from Hale.

Clearly I've been misunderstood here. Hale is brilliant, but unlike many others - I really see promise in Ceglar, and if he got a dozen games into him I think he could do the job for us. Hale was merely a name thrown up because of his position.

Finals series was sublime

Was pretty good in the 2012 final series as well. Seems to find a bit of aggression when the heat is on. Just what you want in a big lump.

On to Ceglar, I think he has shown a lot of promise and if Lowden doesn't pull the finger out then he is in trouble. Got serious case of chicken legs though. Maybe if Monkey stopped hoarding the pies some calories will trickle down to our beanpole ruckmen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First thing I've noticed is his agility for a big man seems very good. Possibly not quite as good as Grimley's but then isn't Ceglar significantly taller & heavier?
He's listed as 94 kg whilst Grimley is 99 kg (weights from last year as they've not been updated). I agree he's very agile for a big man and would argue he's got better lateral movement than Grimley who is very quick but doesn't have a particularly small turning circle.

From what I have seen his tap work is better then our new #1 ruckman.

Watched the norf game again last night & a couple of time Mitchell actually fumbled 2 of his hit outs. Now I haven't seen Mitch do that often, so I thought he was just a bit surprised to get a clean tap that hit him on the chest.

Seems to be plenty of upside in the lad & as others have mentioned, it appears in is short time at the club he has leap frogged a couple of others.

Seems like Collingwood was on the money, & Monky's push to get him were good calls.

From what I have seen his tap work is better then our new #1 ruckman.

Watched the norf game again last night & a couple of time Mitchell actually fumbled 2 of his hit outs. Now I haven't seen Mitch do that often, so I thought he was just a bit surprised to get a clean tap that hit him on the chest.

Seems to be plenty of upside in the lad & as others have mentioned, it appears in is short time at the club he has leap frogged a couple of others.

Seems like Collingwood was on the money, & Monky's push to get him were good calls.

Agree with all this but the pies clearly weren't on the money as they had delisted him and we then picked him up in the Rookie Draft. Ruckman take time and I think they got rid of him too early, he has gone past Lowden and Grimley.

Has a lot of upside and I can see him forcing his way into the side over the next couple of years. His tap work is solid and will improve, he can clunk a mark and he appears to have a good tank. Get a little more size on him so he can compete better in a ruck jostle and he could find himself as a regular. Hard to get into the side at the moment however with Hale and McEvoy comfortably ahead

He's listed as 94 kg whilst Grimley is 99 kg (weights from last year as they've not been updated). I agree he's very agile for a big man and would argue he's got better lateral movement than Grimley who is very quick but doesn't have a particularly small turning circle.
Hmm.. 94 & 99kg are both on the light side for starting rucks. Of course they're young players that figures. I'm surprised to hear Grimley's heavier as I always had him pegged for a KPF rather than a genuine ruckman.

Hmm.. 94 & 99kg are both on the light side for starting rucks. Of course they're young players that figures. I'm surprised to hear Grimley's heavier as I always had him pegged for a KPF rather than a genuine ruckman.
Will be interesting to see how much weight they have put on this preseason. Of course that means entrusting the clubs quoted figures which are notoriously inaccurate.

I think we've got to split the ruck roles, much the same as the club does. You have your main ruck, then the forward/ second ruck.

Obviously McEvoy is the #1 main ruck and Hale the #1 forward/ ruck. In my opinion, Grimley is too good not to be the next cab off the rank, but I think he's the #2 behind Hale as that forward/ ruck. I think Lowden would be the #2 pure ruck but obviously the club doesn't see it that way.

I have Ceglar a long way back, behind part-timers and such but yeah, I guess I'm in the minority there.

I think when an average player comes into a club that's been delisted by their previous club or hasn't shown much then immediately supporters aren't too flash on the player and take a long time to warm to that player.

Supporters tend to love their homegrown talent (Grimley & Lowden) more than the new player coming in/been there for a little but not as long as the others (Ceglar).

I had this opinion last year that I would rather see Lowden and Grimley given a go before Ceglar.

My reasons were simply because I was biased towards the other 2 boys and saw Ceglar just as another average stop gap (Skipper, Johnson, McCauley).

The difference here is Ceglar is clearly a more promising and talented player than those 3 players were. He is young and is improving, it must be said at a faster rate than Lowden and Grimley.

He isn't as athetically gifted as those 2 boys or as exciting but he is showing a lot more and more consistently in my eyes. Also it seems that the coaches believe this too as he was chosen over the other 2, throughout the NAB matches. We could've easily kept him on the rookie list if they saw he wasn't ahead of those boys.

Yes I want Grimley and Lowden to succeed and they seem to have so much potential, however they have been living on potential for years and at some point they need to deliver and it seems Ceglar is delivering more promise atm.

It's a big year for all 3 and will be interesting to see how it all pans out!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How did Grimley not deliver in his debut game?

Also funny you mentioned Skipper as I was actually going to say I see Ceglar as a poor man's Skipper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back