Opinion Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a great year. Really feel for the big guy missing out. Hoping he can keep improving and has a great pre-season.

Last edited:
Ceglar's pace for his size is insane. He is going to be a real gun. We used to play ian paton as a roaming extra player around the ground, and damn the ruck contests, they're 50/50 anyway. Ceglar gives us Paton's around the ground stuff with ruck taps as well.

That my man is old school Hawks memory lane material.

Loving it !!

Pretty sure I taught his old man back in Wodonga. Recall this guy went to play with Roos, which would be where Clarko met him. Came from nowhere as a footballer and ended up in VFL. Late bloomer.

Also recall teaching a McEvoy. Not sure whether this one is related, though.

Pretty sure I taught his old man back in Wodonga. Recall this guy went to play with Roos, which would be where Clarko met him. Came from nowhere as a footballer and ended up in VFL. Late bloomer.

Also recall teaching a McEvoy. Not sure whether this one is related, though.

McEvoy is from Dederang which is a one pub town in the Kiewa Valley about 60mins south of Albury and about 45mins from Falls Creek. Technically McEvoy should be a skier and not a footy player.

Last edited:
Ceglar will take some time to get back to match fitness following his knee reco. I'd like to see the Hawks use some of his time at Box Hill to trial him at full back. I recon he has all of the required attributes to be great at the job. He is quick and so should be able to cover the full-forwards lead, he has a good tank so won't be outworked, he has the height and weight not to be out-muscled and out-marked, and has neat skills to distribute the ball to the half backs.

With full-forwards getting taller (think 2 meter Peter (203cm), Tom Hawkins(198), Buddy (196), Kennedy (196), ...), and ruckmen more often resting forward, a competent 204cm backman could be very important.

If someone can cover his man he could take the back 30m hitouts, giving Big Boy a rest and the Hawks a get-out kick from defence (to BB).

At the very least it would give him another string for his bow and the Hawks another backup for KB.

Last edited:
That just revives memories of Clarkson playing Robbie Campbell at full back in 2009.
Robbie was much heavier and so not as fast off the mark. A lack of speed off the mark is the reason I'd never suggest McEvoy at full back.

Cellar's relatively light frame was his knock at Collingwood, but it could be his asset for the Hawks at full back.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did say "trial him at full back", though clearly not a popular idea.

Oh well, until Connor Nash comes through we will just have to rely on Kaiden Brand as our only 195cm+ backman.

Well whats the story with Frawley and Stratton , and I hope Burchell, are they all still doubtful?

Ceglar , well the operative word above is trial .
But he does so well around the ground , it may be important to get motion and his tank built up back to supreme fitness, I thought we had a pretty good line up to take over again with out Hodgey in defence now.
I know we're talking about Ceglar, he's tall and narrow , some of those big forwards might knock him about if he's the full back, and whats wrong with Brand , he is a special player.
Cegs has to get his head around a year off and a former crook knee yet? I'd be giving him a special full pre season and run him into form at Box Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back