"Celebrating" the ANZACs

Remove this Banner Ad

2daf5fd606499168dac1475b6e3cf68b.jpg

Is anybody else sick of it already and finding it wildly inappropriate.

These poor young naive blokes who never had a shot at life, sent to the other side of the world to die painfully and probably petrified, in no small part due to the incompetence of their own superiors.

It's well documented the courage and spirit they showed and that should obviously be remembered and admired.

But FFS its about remembrance and should be appropriately solemn IMO.

It's a commemoration, not a celebration which so many seem keen to turn it into.

I'm watching this afternoon and apparently the VRC and Channel 7 have sent the Melbourne Cup there as part of it's roadshow! And that ******* who wanted to play the ANZAC Day footy game over there...

WTF?

It's not a party, it's not a celebration. Particularly at the very site of it. Remember the fallen appropriately.

Tricky area for an Essendon supporter to enter. What you complain about starts with a draw in 1995.

Hmm. In some ways it's always surprised me that ANZAC Day is sold as the birth of Australian identity.

We were illegally invading another country.

I have nothing but sorrow for the poor buggers who were sent to their deaths, trying to fight their way up beaches and cliffs while being hopelessly outgunned and in an inferior position in a military sense. But why is that something to celebrate for Australia as a nation?

If anything, if we were to try and sell a military event as the being the 'birth of Australia as a modern nation', or other similar rhetoric, I'd rather it be Kokoda.

The Dardeneles were Black sea strategic, it wasn't straight invasion of Turkey as in we wanted their dirt but in general agree. Except you missed mention of New Zealand. We are making our national day dependent on two other nations. The birth of our modern nation was Archer walking from Nowra. We just have to get real. Kokoda doesn't do it for me either.

I'd be ashamed if Melbourne Cup Day ever became something resembling a national holiday . I have no time for the racing industry and little time for gambling and everything else the Melbourne Cup is supposedly about . Luckily it won't happen anytime soon as Melbourne Cup Day isn't as big deal (let alone a public holiday) on a national scale.

Last edited:
I'd be ashamed if Melbourne Cup Day ever became something resembling a national holiday . I have no time for the racing industry and little time for gambling and everything else the Melbourne Cup is supposed about . Luckily it won't happen anytime soon as Melbourne Cup Day isn't as big deal (let alone a public holiday) on a national scale.

The race that stops A NATION.

Deal with it :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The battle of "the Nek" was August 7 1915. I think Gasometre is referring to the start to the Battle of the Somme.
Soldiers were ordered to have no bullets in the breach in a charge because the Commanders believed if they were reloading in a bayonet charge they would be slowing them selves down to reaching their objectives(enemy trenches) the Generals (generally veterans of Crimean war where the machine gun was not present) had no idea of the effectiveness of strategically placed weapons. Wasn't until later in the war when the creeping barrage come into play as did tank warfare.
The Commanders in WW1 (1915) were veterans of the Crimean War (1853-86)? Making them at least 80 years old?

Just because they say it in their ads it doesn't make it true!

Same with that other car race thing that apparently divides a nation.

That's true - its false advertising.

It's actually the race that stops TWO NATIONS as the Kiwi's watch it as well.

Now be gone with you philistines.

The Commanders in WW1 (1915) were veterans of the Crimean War (1853-86)? Making them at least 80 years old?
Sorry, I mucked that up, what I should of said was the commanders were using Crimean war tactics. There were no machine guns there. The Germans however had figured a way to strategically place them so they were very effective. Always happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
That's true - its false advertising.

It's actually the race that stops TWO NATIONS as the Kiwi's watch it as well.

Now be gone with you philistines.

Suppose you think Melbourne really is Sporting capital of the World.

Yeah nah. It would be an international embarrassment to have that as the nations national holiday.

Because our current one is soooooooooo uplifting.

Let's face it - we are a convict colony so unlike most nations around the world there really isn't a huge national or iconic event to base our national day on. Horse race is as good an excuse as any :D

Because our current one is soooooooooo uplifting.

Let's face it - we are a convict colony so unlike most nations around the world there really isn't a huge national or iconic event to base our national day on. Horse race is as good an excuse as any :D
Horse racing isn't happy or worth celebrating , let alone respectful , it's also irrelevant to anyone outside of melbourne and does not represent what Australia is about or used to be about in any way . Even Australia Day itself is better than Melbourne Cup Day, which is saying something as I have several issues with Australia Day. Anzac day is inspiring , respectful and relevant to Australians (not just middle class people from Melbourne ).

Fair dinkum can't a campaigner ******* go to gobble gobble land in piece and sink a few tinnies whilst arms are linked belting Khe Sanh? Jeez ******* wet blanket campaigners I'll glass ya if you get in my way.

Fanatics 4 eva
I'm with ya bra
anzac-rising-sun-tattoo-150353.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back