"Celebrating" the ANZACs

Remove this Banner Ad

Horse racing isn't happy or worth celebrating , let alone respectful , it's also irrelevant to anyone outside of melbourne and does not represent what Australia is about or used to be about in any way . Even Australia Day itself is better than Melbourne Cup Day, which is saying something as I have several issues with Australia Day. Anzac day is inspiring , respectful and relevant to Australians (not just middle class people from Melbourne ).

Err I've worked in Sydney for ages and every year we stop to watch the race. Plenty of people have afternoon's off to go to various Melbourne Cup events around the city.

#hatersgunnahate

Fair dinkum can't a campaigner ******* go to gobble gobble land in piece and sink a few tinnies whilst arms are linked belting Khe Sanh? Jeez ******* wet blanket campaigners I'll glass ya if you get in my way.

Fanatics 4 eva

Lost it at gobble gobble land

:D

I assumed it was satire?
And I assume its point was to suggest hypocrisy? I can't see what else it would be trying to say. And if such is the case, then I feel it's extremely ignorant.

but it is based on another invasion...

Started by the Ottoman Empire joining WWI on the side of Germany and Austria-Hungary.

The intention of the Gallipoli campaign was not to conquer land or to subjugate anyone or even to get rid of the Ottoman Empire. It was win quickly and force the Ottoman Empire to withdraw from the war.

It's the thing that has always really confused me about Gallipoli, Australians, in Turkey, under British leader ship, fighting on behalf of the Russians. And yet somehow it defines our nation?
I suspect the whole birth of a nation thing comes from the fact that everyone in Australia prior to WW1 considered themselves British. We were part of the Empire after all, and most settlers here came from British stock. Being as isolated as we were, everyone happily carried on being British and probably presuming we were pretty much the same as the British still in Britain.

The War comes along, and many of our good British subjects sign up to fight for Britain (with a European adventure thrown in). By the end of the War, those left alive have realised that we are in fact not the same as the British from Britain at all in our attitudes, behaviour etc, and thus is born the attitude of being something other (and better) than British, though still happily part of the Empire.

As to why Gallipoli in particular, I guess that was the first time a mass of British Australians were in a position to see themselves in contrast to the British British for an extended period, and the birth of the notion of being our own thing. The rest of the war simply entrenched this notion.

That's my theory anyway!

It consistently bemuses me that anyone could think a purpose is served by revering a bunch of long-dead farmboys, who volunteered to go halfway around the world to kill a bunch of people they'd never heard of. Everything about ANZAC Day is tacky and distasteful.

Easily the most idiotic holiday of the year, which says a fair bit when we also have days to worship a virgin birth and celebrate a zombie. I'll be enjoying a nice sleep in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With an attitude like that Ceaser , that's why the Bulldogs don't play any BLOCKBUSTERS.

ah, so when you have nothing to say about the content, you go the cheap route and make a mockery of the team he happens to display on his avatar....

well played, hagan, love - 15 with that brilliant back hand return... :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity... If the UK got itself into another war in Europe.. would the majority of you go help, or think Aus should help?

Just out of curiosity... If the UK got itself into another war in Europe.. would the majority of you go help, or think Aus should help?
Probably not I expect, though we would probably give assistance of some sort depending on the exact circumstances.

That doesn't mean it was wrong to do it 100 years ago though.

It consistently bemuses me that anyone could think a purpose is served by revering a bunch of long-dead farmboys, who volunteered to go halfway around the world to kill a bunch of people they'd never heard of. Everything about ANZAC Day is tacky and distasteful.

I don't mind the day being celebrated as a day of remembering being thankful for the land we are on and all that sort of thing. I take issue with it being a money making day for some people (those that exploit the day for their own financial benefit).

I take issue with Anzac day football because of the promotion behind it "two teams going to war on a football field" very bad choice of words.

Depends if we got made to 'help' ie: conscripted

Question Id like to put out there - if ISIS were to get to a point where they were a real threat to everyone's livelihood (eg: security of nuclear weapons compromised, massive scale terrorist attacks happening very frequently) would you go fight them?

Personally, I would think about it.

Last edited:
2daf5fd606499168dac1475b6e3cf68b.jpg

Blardy uni student!

Easily the most idiotic holiday of the year, which says a fair bit when we also have days to worship a virgin birth and celebrate a zombie. I'll be enjoying a nice sleep in.

The only tacky and distasteful thing is your post. The day is about remembrance for all Australians who have given their lives in the nation's interests and causes.

It's on the date of the Gallipoli landing, but it's to mark those lost in all wars.

Do you have the same opinion of those who died in horrific conditions on the Kokoda track trying to defend us from ground invasion? Those who hit the ground in Europe and drove the Nazis back?

The day may have been hijacked by celebrating bogans and opportunistic politicians and corporations, but that in no way makes it "idiotic" at the core. Get a clue.

It would depend on the cause - people can make that sort of decision today because we're much better informed.

I think if there were a call to arms against an enemy like the Third Reich or Islamic State then yes, you'd get quite a lot of enlistees.

In any case, warfare has changed with technology and isn't simply a case of "send more men" any more, so it's probably a moot question. A guy pressing buttons at a base in England today could do more damage on the continent than 1000 tommies could have in 1915.

Is anybody else sick of it already and finding it wildly inappropriate.

These poor young naive blokes who never had a shot at life, sent to the other side of the world to die painfully and probably petrified, in no small part due to the incompetence of their own superiors.

It's well documented the courage and spirit they showed and that should obviously be remembered and admired.

But FFS its about remembrance and should be appropriately solemn IMO.

It's a commemoration, not a celebration which so many seem keen to turn it into.

I'm watching this afternoon and apparently the VRC and Channel 7 have sent the Melbourne Cup there as part of it's roadshow! And that ******* who wanted to play the ANZAC Day footy game over there...

WTF?

It's not a party, it's not a celebration. Particularly at the very site of it. Remember the fallen appropriately.

RE the bolded... every single soldier who went to Gallipoli had volunteered to go. Every single one. It was a volunteer army, a lot of whom went on to fight on the Western Front. Also, the Australian infantry were, as a result of the efforts at Gallipoli and especially on the Western Front, rated as the best infantry in the world, at the time. They were not "sent to the other side of the world to die painfully and probably petrified", they were young men who volunteered by and large because they wanted an adventure.

Afterwards, a lot of them completely disagreed with the premise of the landing, and of fighting the Turks, but none of them were there against their will, and none of them were the scared little mice you are implying. They were, as I stated, the best infantry in the world.

As to the "incompetence of their superiors" bit? Again, myth. Their superiors (Aussies and English) landed exactly where they planned, and the whole attack was actually very well thought out. There were two things that went wrong:

1. Rain delayed the landing by several days, meaning they had less cover of dark under which to attack. Had they attacked on the designated day, several days earlier, they would've had a couple of hours more darkness under which to surprise the Turks.

2. A traitor, who had been locked up after an English sub had been captured, gave all the details of our landing to the Turks. As a result, a LOT more men were there waiting than otherwise would've been the case.

The plan was actually a good one, though risky. Had the above two things not happened, we very likely would've taken the hill, and therefore taken out the armaments on the edge of the Dardanelle's (which was the target) so that the ships could freely sail to Constantinople, helping to provide provisions for the troops fighting the Germans, and also attack the Germans from the back. Also, the Aussie soliders would've got to party in Constantinople.

So, that straightens you up a bit on the facts of the thing.

As to how it's remembered? ANZAC day is symbolic because WWI is seen as the coming of age of Australia on the national stage, due to great fighting under terrible circumstances at Gallipoli, and due to outstanding fighting on the Western Front. It has therefore become about more than just the diggers at WWI, because now ALL ANZAC soldiers are remembered, from all wars. So, it is more than it started out being. It is no longer just about Gallipoli, and it is therefore over simplifying the issue to suggest that Australia celebrates scared diggers at Gallipoli. We celebrate, and pay great respect and tribute to, all Australian soldiers who have fought over the civilised history of Australia.

1. Rain delayed the landing by several days, meaning they had less cover of dark under which to attack. Had they attacked on the designated day, several days earlier, they would've had a couple of hours more darkness under which to surprise the Turks.
Can you elaborate upon this? Wouldn't a delay of several days have brought sunrise forward by only 15 minutes or so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back