2nds Centrals vs Port Adelaide Round 16 - @ Elizabeth

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday would of had to have been the lowest crowd versus Centrals ive ever seen , plus zilch cheersquad ! , a sad day for me indeed.

Better than I thought it was gonna be when I rocked up just before the first bounce.

Grand Central must've been packed!

Saw a lonely flag or two behind the northern goal...

Yes a friend commented that there looked to be about 1500 there at the first bounce , a few hundred came out of the pokies once the Poms got 7 up ! , so my mates estimation wasn't that far off the mark , very depressing all this happening to the local league and with it the end of our juniors , local and country zones etc , to be honest I and a fair few others reckon it wasn't worth it , just to get em all playing in the same ressies side .

Well, I'm disappointed but not surprised re: the coaching philosophy..... The Magpies really are the AFL seconds first and foremost now.
Don't worry we are still on top. I like the way we go about it in the SANFL more than the crows who treat it as a training drill.

Don't worry we are still on top. I like the way we go about it in the SANFL more than the crows who treat it as a training drill.
Yes that's true and we are greatfull for that , but how many out there atm are what we would call ridgy didge Port Maggies lads , boys that came from our juniors and zones , traditional areas so to speak ? , maybe a half dozen ? , and I fear this number will diminish over the years still further . We know our Afl team comes first , but was it REALLY the only way to go , its a hell of a lot to cash in , hopeing it makes us better . I for one have supported both teams since 97 , from now on I think I might do as about 90% of my fellow clubperson's do , not buy Maggies memberships and don't worry about going to our reserves games , for in reality that's all it is now.

Yes that's true and we are greatfull for that , but how many out there atm are what we would call ridgy didge Port Maggies lads , boys that came from our juniors and zones , traditional areas so to speak ? , maybe a half dozen ? , and I fear this number will diminish over the years still further . We know our Afl team comes first , but was it REALLY the only way to go , its a hell of a lot to cash in , hopeing it makes us better . I for one have supported both teams since 97 , from now on I think I might do as about 90% of my fellow clubperson's do , not buy Maggies memberships and don't worry about going to our reserves games , for in reality that's all it is now.

All SANFL clubs have had plenty of players from out of their zones.
Norwoods best player last year (Matt Thomas) is a Vic.
Centrals Retzlaff is from Queensland. He was the one that tore us apart.
Sturts Tambling is from the NT.
This list goes on and on. If you want to be a good team you have to find players from all over the country.
Obviously someone that comes from our area is a special thing but if that is why you watch football then I'd suggest not watching AFL or SANFL and go watch the Amateur leagues.

All SANFL clubs have had plenty of players from out of their zones.
Norwoods best player last year (Matt Thomas) is a Vic.
Centrals Retzlaff is from Queensland. He was the one that tore us apart.
Sturts Tambling is from the NT.
This list goes on and on. If you want to be a good team you have to find players from all over the country.
Obviously someone that comes from our area is a special thing but if that is why you watch football then I'd suggest not watching AFL or SANFL and go watch the Amateur leagues.
Port have always recruited selectively , from local and interstate , but always the vast majority were Port lads , and locals identified with the team/club , so don't try pull that one , what is offered up now has NO resemblance , and regards playing to win , I call BS , unless it falls into line with current Afl thinking , that is something we were assured would not happen , winning came first ! , anybody that actually go's to the games will tell you that.

Port have always recruited selectively , from local and interstate , but always the vast majority were Port lads , and locals identified with the team/club , so don't try pull that one , what is offered up now has NO resemblance , and regards playing to win , I call BS , unless it falls into line with current Afl thinking , that is something we were assured would not happen , winning came first ! , anybody that actually go's to the games will tell you that.

I go to all the home games and I am very happy with what the boys are putting out.
We are on top of the ladder. We are trying to win.
The fact is we were going to win yesterday but there was some bogus free kick right at the end of the game that gave Centrals the win.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...stragically it would be better for the Magpies to NOT finish top as it means they'll be playing as the Power are heading into finals...ie. second tier players will have an opportunity to press their claims for selection.

I respect your opinion , but really , lets stop this charade and retire the Magpie jumper , id be pretty pissed , but playing as Power reserves would be more honest , It might have been out of our hands that its gone like this , but lets call a spade a spade.

I go to all the home games and I am very happy with what the boys are putting out.
We are on top of the ladder. We are trying to win.
The fact is we were going to win yesterday but there was some bogus free kick right at the end of the game that gave Centrals the win.
What game style did it remind you of when we were 7 goals down , come on , it was unmistakable .

Come terribly close plenty of times over the last decade ! , but a loss is a loss , and the ring a round of rossie overuse of handball and no one up forward etc ., was a game style 100% like what we dished up latter in the day , so is playing 127 mid sized good finisher offers , nar not a coincidence . What works at Afl level doesn't always follow through for the local league , which when we are playing to win in the local league is not good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the Doggies have smashed us over the past 10-15 years.

According to The Budget, they'd won 16 of the last 18 clashes.

Before yesterday...

Last time I was at Elizabeth I was still at school. I've only been there two times, once when my next-door neighbour, a Bulldogs supporter gave me a lift and his car got stuck in what was laughingly called a carpark. The other time I took the train and got off two stops early and had to find my way there through a muddy field.
We were always one of the teams who could occasionally get close to Centrals at Elizabeth during their good years, although we did get smashed as well. The main game I remember was one I was not at, but it got into the papers, as a Port supporter was banned from Elizabeth. He got himself banned from Alberton later.

I respect your opinion , but really , lets stop this charade and retire the Magpie jumper , id be pretty pissed , but playing as Power reserves would be more honest , It might have been out of our hands that its gone like this , but lets call a spade a spade.
OT but...meh. If push came to shove I'd be happy enough for the Magpie nickname to be given the flick, and 'Cheer cheer the black and the white' as well for that matter, but there shouldn't be any problems with the SANFL team retaining a guernsey that the club has used for over 100 years. This 'charades' stuff is getting a bit old and will be irrelevant next year with the zones being reallocated anyway.

Sorry if it's already been discussed but how did Impey go? Did he play his usual position or all over?

Sorry if it's already been discussed but how did Impey go? Did he play his usual position or all over?

Pretty quiet.

To be honest, I'm not too sure where he played.

Because, apart from a run or two, I really didn't notice him.

If anyone is to be considered for promotion, it has to be Tommy Logan.

He completely dominated...

I believed the spiel being dished out at the start of the season , you know the playing to win stuff , well anyone there would of seen us unfortunately practicing our Afl routine eg., no one up forward , short ineffectual handball , dinky kicks etc,etc,etc. Wasn't bloody impressed I can tell you , Club coaching panel ( those that were there ) might be , but our supporters weren't , those few Maggies supporters that remain that is . Yesterday would of had to have been the lowest crowd versus Centrals ive ever seen , plus zilch cheersquad ! , a sad day for me indeed.

The thing I hate the most is that the coach opted to persist with the same routine when clearly it was not working in the first quarter. It was our fault for that game being close and placing it into the hands of a dodgy umpire. That should have been the end of Central this season but we certainly did experiment in the first half.

Last time I was at Elizabeth I was still at school. I've only been there two times, once when my next-door neighbour, a Bulldogs supporter gave me a lift and his car got stuck in what was laughingly called a carpark. The other time I took the train and got off two stops early and had to find my way there through a muddy field.
We were always one of the teams who could occasionally get close to Centrals at Elizabeth during their good years, although we did get smashed as well. The main game I remember was one I was not at, but it got into the papers, as a Port supporter was banned from Elizabeth. He got himself banned from Alberton later.
I ventured out to that s**t-hole once. I was playing (well, actually standing on the sidelines with a sprained wrist) for West Adelaide Under 14's and was abused by parents of some of the Centrals player. Charming folk.

Great to see Ah Chee proving his doubters (including me) wrong.
Mid-season most had written him off.
Buddah then challenged Ah Chee to go from a 10-15 disposal player to a 20-25 disposal player.
He has matched and even exceeded (28 touches on the weekend) that lately. Well done to him.

I agree Logan played very well and I thought Impey was o'k' , he wasn't the worse of the Afl players anyhow , the way they have been playing , Ebert , Polac deserved it more and Guss didn't warrant a call up , I also was pissed with the experimentation/no response from the bench early , cost us the game , and even if we are top we ought to win every game we can.

I ventured out to that s**t-hole once. I was playing (well, actually standing on the sidelines with a sprained wrist) for West Adelaide Under 14's and was abused by parents of some of the Centrals player. Charming folk.

What did they yell out? 'I bet you go to school and have a good family ya effin loser!' :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back