Centrelink Law Reform Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a DSC or equivalent? In WA the DSC will go to Centrelink with you and organise. I'll ask my sister for details.

The NDIS has wound back the DSC though.
I am with PHaMS, yes. I don't believe my PHaMS worker would be much assistance with this though. I will ask him though.

**** me....just got off the phone with my sister and I'm so confused by system. Her advice:

1) speak with centrelink and request an appointment with a social worker appointed by centrelink
2) link with Personal Helpers and Mentors service (google they go under contract to groups like gateway, salvation army etc but it goes by your post code)
3) Are you NDIS test site
4) if its a long term issue (or reoccurring) consider a guardian from office of public advocate (victoria)

In regards to ID, usually 100 points is required which is normally satisfied by a birth certificate or certified copy (JP etc) and a bill with your current address or better still a drivers licence with a photo. Maggie's suggestion of tax file number, last tax return, your bank statements etc may help.

Let me know if you need help and I will see if I can orgainse it.
It's very kind of you to go to this much trouble, thank you very much.

Basically they need ID from each of three categories - 2 and 3 are fine (drivers' licence and bank debit card), but it is category one that is the problem - the only document I have from this category is the Birth Cert and they aren't accepting it.

Even though my mental health is all over the place, I am still relatively together and can still handle this. It's just a pain in the arse, because in my frame of mind EVERY minor obstacle seems like a brick wall. Especially as I have to apply interstate to get a new certificate.

You have given me one brilliant suggestion though, I will make an appointment with a Centrelink social worker and see what I can do there.

Again, thank you - you are very kind to have done this. I am very grateful.

The entire centrelink process seems to be designed to make the unemployed feel as worthless as possible.
That pretty much nails it. They seem to want to make it as difficult as possible to apply.

Despite everything going on with me, I am still reasonably bright and intelligent (esp with maths, computers, processes, etc) and yet this whole process has put me to the sword. So I would hate to think how some people out there would handle it.

When I first applied, the lady told me to apply online. Navigating through all that was a challenge in itself, and then when I had to organize a booking for a phone interview at the end of it, their system simply would not allow me to do it online. So I had to go back in and wait and arrange it at an office. (I couldn't do the interview there and then of course!).

It really is a minefield and this experience has led me to agree with what you say - the system seems to be designed to make people (who are probably already struggling in their lives) feel like s**t.

Last edited:

I'll be in there tomorrow to take them on again. :p

I didn't mean this as a woe is me type story, I really just wanted to highlight what inflexible morons they are.

No different to any other government department/organization I guess!

Morrison fibbing about the costs of social welfare again, no mention of the costs of super tax concessions which will soon cost more than the total cost of welfare. I suspect he is going to be found out as a Treasurer, so far he doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade of from Hockey, it seems that his personal success is measured on how much of a nasty campaigner he can be. His time as Immigration Minister hangs like a Sword of Damocles over his political career anyway.

I remember my first dealings with Centrelink. Had to go into one to upgrade my account from a level 1 to a level 3 (so I can lodge claims online, etc). I had to provide 100 points of ID. After two hours of waiting to be served, I show my IDs and everything is seemingly okay. I get home and try to apply for Newstart. The *******s didn't upgrade my account! So the next day I had to wait another two hours to get served again. And I made sure they did it this time. :/

I am trying to register to get income support and for assistance to look for work. .. they insisted on re-identifying me. Fine. So I take in my ID. The only primary document I have is my Birth Certificate. They are refusing to accept it. They can't even tell me exactly what is wrong with it. But the only answer in Centrelink land is apparently for me to get a new Birth Certificate at my expense. Until I do that, my application is noted as rejected (on ID grounds).

****ing morons.

Hi, sherb.

I can genuinely say that I know the feeling, so sorry these bastards are doing this to you :(
Looking to find you an answer, and to help others with this situation.

Will ask a few contacts and in our Group "Centrelink Law Reform" https://www.facebook.com/groups/Centrelink.Law.Reform.Australia/
- - - - -

For now you could try ringing www.welfarerights.org.au/
They screwed me over, but you should fare better.

Contact Phone:
Advice: (02) 9211 5300
1800 226 028
Admin: (02) 9211 5389
TTY:
(02) 9211 0238
Contact Email:
sydney@welfarerights.org.au
http://www.welfarerightscentre.org.au
Fax:
(02) 9211 5268

They also have Illawarra Legal Centre listed on the site if it is close?
StaticMapService.GetMapImage

Street Address:
7 Greene Street
Warrawong NSW 2502
Australia

Contact Phone:
(02) 4276 1939
TTY:
133 677
http://www.illawarralegalcentre.org.au/
Fax:
(02) 4276 1978
Hours of Operation:
Telephone advice on Tuesdays from 10.00 to 12.00 and Wednesdays from 2.30 to 4.30.

Last edited:
It SHOULD be extremely difficult to gain access to other peoples money.
By refusing to accept a full and legally issued Australian birth certificate?

Try again.

I dont care what the problem is.
It SHOULD be EXTREMELY difficult to get others to suddenly work for you, and to receive their hard earnt.
Of course you don't. It detracts from your argument. Substantially.

And in my case, I am just drawing down some of the substantial amount of tax I have paid myself over the years.

So give it a rest or do better.

I dont care what the problem is.
It SHOULD be EXTREMELY difficult to get others to suddenly work for you, and to receive their hard earnt.
Just further.

If you wish to argue that the requirements for government assistance should be tightened, no issue from me. But supporting the absurd and unreasonable application of said requirements is a different matter altogether.

As for me - you need to be set straight. I have been out of work since last December and have lived OFF MY OWN RESOURCES since. I have finally registered with Centrelink recently since I wish to start looking for work soon - as I am finally well enough to do so. I need assistance to do that, and make no apologies for it.

I also make no apologies for getting the payment the government will give me until I find work, as I said I have paid my share of tax (worked for 35 years, a number of those years working two jobs). You've got some gall accusing me of bludging off other people's money.

Making incorrect assumptions while sitting on your high horse just makes you look ignorant Bollox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are not drawing down on anything.
We pay taxes by default ...we do not pay them into a piggy bank that can or should be later accessed unless you are 70odd.
They are never somehow yours to access.
They are not tax credits. It is simply an ongoing contribution to the nation, and unfortunately too many feel they have some sort of right to drawdown on past contributions.
You dont have some sort of government bank account that can be accessed when feeling poorly without an EXTREMELY good reason and after an EXHAUSTIVE process.

I find this entire thread rather insulting.

We pay taxes by default ...we do not pay them into a piggy bank that can or should be later accessed unless you are 70odd.
They are not tax credits. It is simply an ongoing contribution to the nation, and unfortunately too many feel they have some sort of right to drawdown on past contributions.
You dont have some sort of government bank account that can be accessed when feeling poorly without an EXTREMELY good reason and after an EXHAUSTIVE process.

Read my subsequent post.

Last edited:
Yeah makes it worse.
I dont need to be "set straight"....nor am i ignorant because you wish to bludge off the rest of us and hate the idea that is is now being made harder to do so.

In my time it has gone from repetitive strain injury, thru carpel tunnel syndrome and now mental health has rapidly become the excuse.

Go clean some toilets on $10 an hour and help yourself, instead of looking for sympathy and acceptance from a footy website because you think you might find like minded individuals where you might pick up some tips.

I've got no interest paying for your internet access so you can whinge and whine about how hard it is to screw the taxpayer.

The fact i have no say in it means my only solace comes from you finding it strangely difficult to access our taxes. Yeah, very strange isnt it.

Every dollar you wish to gouge is a dollar that a kid in hospital doesnt get access to.

Yeah makes it worse.
I dont need to be "set straight"....nor am i ignorant because you wish to bludge off the rest of us and hate the idea that is is now being made harder to do so.

In my time it has gone from repetitive strain injury, thru carpel tunnel syndrome and now mental health has rapidly become the excuse.

Go clean some toilets on $10 an hour and help yourself, instead of looking for sympathy and acceptance from a footy website because you think you might find like minded individuals where you might pick up some tips.

I've got no interest paying for your internet access so you can whinge and whine about how hard it is to screw the taxpayer.

The fact i have no say in it means my only solace comes from you finding it strangely difficult to access our taxes. Yeah, very strange isnt it.

Every dollar you wish to gouge is a dollar that a kid in hospital doesnt get access to.
Wow, so much hate and anger.

It will burn you up one day you know.

Hi, sherb.

I can genuinely say that I know the feeling, so sorry these bastards are doing this to you :(
Looking to find you an answer, and to help others with this situation.

Will ask a few contacts and in our Group "Centrelink Law Reform" https://www.facebook.com/groups/Centrelink.Law.Reform.Australia/
- - - - -

For now you could try ringing www.welfarerights.org.au/
They screwed me over, but you should fare better.

Contact Phone:
Advice: (02) 9211 5300
1800 226 028
Admin: (02) 9211 5389
TTY:
(02) 9211 0238
Contact Email:
sydney@welfarerights.org.au
http://www.welfarerightscentre.org.au
Fax:
(02) 9211 5268

They also have Illawarra Legal Centre listed on the site if it is close?
StaticMapService.GetMapImage

Street Address:
7 Greene Street
Warrawong NSW 2502
Australia

Contact Phone:
(02) 4276 1939
TTY:
133 677
http://www.illawarralegalcentre.org.au/
Fax:
(02) 4276 1978
Hours of Operation:
Telephone advice on Tuesdays from 10.00 to 12.00 and Wednesdays from 2.30 to 4.30.
Thanks for all the information, much appreciated.

I will PM you to advise of how I went.

Thanks for all the information, much appreciated.

I will PM you to advise of how I went.

just had my own wonderful experience with govt departments today. I just wanted to update medicare with a change of address, which required me to do this through mygov.

they asked for the usual information for ID but also wanted to know the last date I went to a doctor, how much it cost and how much the rebate was. I called mygov and the women suggested if I couldn't remember, perhaps just go to a doctor and then come back online in 48 hours and fill out the info.

Are they on Fn drugs? It got resolved but talk about loonie tunes.

It's a shame you never managed to develop the human quality known as empathy...

When you die grumpy and alone I hope you find solace in the fact you were self-righteous the whole time... should make you feel better
I am sure he will find empathy one day, it's a fantastic quality to have. Much better than consistently taking the high moral ground just to make yourself feel better.

Attitudes like yours are a good reason why we all have to pay taxes for social security.

Suck it up and consider yourself very fortunate you haven't fallen at risk of unemployment.

Strong Location to attitude correlation

;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back