Atley

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers, Redbacks,
This question was brought up on SEN. What do the people of Bigfooty think?

Who is the better player?

Who is the better player?

Cyril.

Who would I pick going forward?

The Chad. I rate him above just about every young gun in the comp (Higher than Cotchin, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Heppell etc).

I might be a little bit mental, but I just see something really special about Wingard. I reckon he will become Port's AFL era GOAT. I liked how the commentators on Saturday were saying that there was no easy comparison for Wingard, he's just his own player.

If not for his body - Rioli easily. Has the ability to completely turn a game from anywhere on the ground, more capable all round and yet a fantastic team player. Love watching that tackling ability.

Wingard is a flashy player, but he constantly looks like and does cry whenever he gets pushed around, not a good look.

Pragmatically though, would probably pick Wingard going forward. Younger and seems to be more durable.

The Chad. I rate him above just about every young gun in the comp (Higher than Cotchin, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Heppell etc).

I might be a little bit mental, but I just see something really special about Wingard. I reckon he will become Port's AFL era GOAT. I liked how the commentators on Saturday were saying that there was no easy comparison for Wingard, he's just his own player.
Although I agree that Rioli IS the better player and I would take Wingard, That's a huge call.

Rioli's best > Wingard's best

but Rioli brings his best once every 7-8 games so therefore i choose wingard

Remember that Rioli is 4 years older than Wingard, and had the benefit of playing his whole career in a very strong team.
Wingard is in his third year, the first of which was in a poorly performing team.

Wingard has the bigger tank, and I reckon his bag of tricks is just as good as Rioli's. Add in the consistency and durability and I'd say Wingard has him covered.

inb4PortBias

Rioli at his best is like a slightly above average Wingard game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that Rioli is 4 years older than Wingard, and had the benefit of playing his whole career in a very strong team.
Wingard is in his third year, the first of which was in a poorly performing team.

Wingard has the bigger tank, and I reckon his bag of tricks is just as good as Rioli's. Add in the consistency and durability and I'd say Wingard has him covered.

inb4PortBias
I agree with most of that but Rioli has more talent. He's an absolute freak with the ball in hand.

I voted Rioli, but i would choose Wingard for my team. He is/will be a star, Rioli is too injury prone.

Back